Speed Distance time, HELP! Watch

scazmatraz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
All morning I have been trying to get my head around S/D/T and its just not happening. have looked at different ways of doing but am really, really struggling. HELP!

Scaz
py0alb
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In what way? it seems pretty intuitive to me. :confused:
scazmatraz
Rep:
?
All of it. The simple problems I can manage but then when I have to divide/times long numbers i'm just totally at a lost. None of it is making any sense!
Ollie901
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Speed is metres PER second.

Thats really all you need to know, you can work out the equation just from that if you forget it. Speed = D/T.
py0alb
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Can you give us an example of a question you are struggling with?

Surely the concept of "the faster you move, the further you get in a shorter time" isn't especially troubling to a fully functioning adult human being, otherwise how do you ever get anywhere?
scazmatraz
Rep:
?
At 72 mph, how long does it take to travel 48 miles?

So i know the formula is T = D/S T = 48/72

and then I get stuck... Have to be able to do these types of problems in my head/on paper and the idea of trying to divide 48/72 is baffling! Maybe I am just being stupid, I just haven't done maths in so long
py0alb
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So it looks like your problem is simply with doing division, rather than anything specific to do with speed.

To do 48/72 its first useful to notice that they're both multiples of 24, so you can simplify it to 2/3 hour which is 40 minutes.

If you don't notice the factor of 24, you should at least be able to recognise that they are both even, and therefore simplify to 24/36... then you still have 2 evens, so reduce to 12/18... then again to 6/9.

If you don't recognise at this point that 6/9 is two thirds then you might be in trouble.
scazmatraz
Rep:
?
Yeah, lots of problems with long division. need to get practicing! Kinda getting it 50% of the time. Everytime I think i've finally got it, I get royally stuck on the next problem I try
py0alb
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can't do long division either, and I have a PhD. I don't know why they bother to teach it, there are far easier ways to work stuff like that out. Just keep factorising, or else have a sensible guess, multiply to test and adjust.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (307)
37.44%
No - but I will (63)
7.68%
No - I don't want to (61)
7.44%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (389)
47.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise