The Student Room Group

Why unemployed people abuse the system, and have no excuse for doing so

Source - http://www.independent.ie/national-news/workers-turn-down-euro28000-job-because-they-get-more-on-dole-2573644.html

A BUSINESSMAN told yesterday how he was "gobsmacked" when he offered a permanent job to two workers who had been unemployed for two years -- but both turned it down because they get more in handouts from the State.

David Lawlor, of Watermark Technology in Citywest, Dublin, and who owns the distribution rights to Gaggia commercial coffee machines in Ireland and the UK, was offering a job in maintenance for an annual wage of €28,000.

A person on the national minimum wage of €7.65 an hour would earn €15,912.

First,the businessman offered the position to a Romanian national who has been living here for a number of years. But he quit after just one day.

"He's married, with kids, and is renting," said Mr Lawlor, adding that the man qualifies for multiple types of social welfare.

"He'd been working for a rival but had been let go two years ago. He started on the Tuesday and on the Wednesday he said he felt he was entitled to more money.

"He said he'd get more money on the dole."

Mr Lawlor had pointed out to the man that he could also earn overtime, at one-and-a-half times the rate, as well as have the use of a company van for incidental personal use.

"A lot of these guys are handy, so they do nixers; they have that on top of their dole."

The following week Mr Lawlor offered the job to a Filipino national, who, he said, had the skills required and had done the "best ever interview". He had been living here for several years, had four children and drove an "06 or 07 car".

During the interview Mr Lawlor -- who employs 10 people -- discovered the man had been involved in an industrial dispute with his previous company and had been unable to find another job.

"He was in a situation where no one would give him a job. But I figured that I would be able to manage the situation because I work very closely with my employees.

"But he went home and the next day he called and told me his wife said they would get more money on the dole."

Mr Lawlor said he was frustrated that, despite receiving almost 300 CVs and offering the job twice, he still could not find someone.

Secure

"It's a good job, it's secure, and it's well over the minimum wage. Yet we can't fill it.

"We've got people here who don't want to work, they don't want to be worse off (than on the dole)."

He said the new Government must tackle the issue for the sake of the economy.

"There are politicians here but they're not living in the real world where there are real problems. And until they fix those problems, we're going to go nowhere.

''If anybody out there is listening, I want them to know this is a real issue."

Figures supplied by the Revenue show that a single person earning €28,000 would net €23,565.36 with basic tax credits. This would rise to €23,924.88 for a medical card holder as they would pay 4pc Universal Social Charge (USC).

A married person on the same salary would have additional credits and would take home €25,215.36, rising to €25,574.88 if they hold a medical card and pay the reduced USC of 4pc.

The USC for non-medical card holders is 7pc for all earnings over €16,016.

Jesus, I've never allowed myself be idle for a day in my life - 'nor have I sponged off the state/tax payer.

If people are abusing the system in other countries it's obvious they are abusing it in this country aswell, and frankly there is NO REASON to be unemployed.

Simple solution: stick a cap on how much social welfare a family can claim, unless they're on disability benefit. £5k + £2k per child. That means you don't have to worry about who can and can't claim what benefits, you just cut them off when they hit the maximum.

your views? Oh by the way I await the thunderstorm of neg reps from people on the dole, even though you really shouldn't be on a student forum :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Troll thread

Theres a difference between not being bothered to work and barely making ends meet then getting offered less money to work full time

And no you have never sponged off the state, you did from mummy and daddy.

Oh btw do you get student loans?
Reply 2
It's a well known fact that the private sector is more efficient than the public sector. Cut welfare, give more to charities. Better yet, just cut spending (and taxes)altogether.
Reply 3
You can't "abuse" the system. The fact that many people abuse it means that the system is wrong and should be changed.
Unemployed people abuse the system because SHUT UP AND GO AWAY.
Reply 5
Original post by drbluebox
Troll thread

Theres a difference between not being bothered to work and barely making ends meet then getting offered less money to work full time

And no you have never sponged off the state, you did from mummy and daddy.

Oh btw do you get student loans?

Serious thread, Governments should really start to get a grip on what/who they give their money to so indubitably. And no I don't claim any student loans, my 'mummy and daddy' both earn over £90k and I would be disgusted if they had ever claimed any sort of benefits in their life.
Reply 6
Original post by efn

Simple solution: stick a cap on how much social welfare a family can claim, unless they're on disability benefit. £5k + £2k per child. That means you don't have to worry about who can and can't claim what benefits, you just cut them off when they hit the maximum.

And what.. exactly.. is this going to solve with people who are genuinely looking for jobs but simply cannot find one? We aren't in some amazing prosperous age here kiddo, their aren't enough jobs. Maybe you should read up a bit first before making these claims.

Oh and p.s. .. again if you would have had up more .. you would know that not all people who claim disability benefits should be getting them. Exactly the same as the rest.. always people 'cheating'the system.

Now tell me.. why aren't you going to cut disability benefits? It's exactly the same as the rest, people use it to not get a job (sometimes, obviously) when they are able to ? Are you just going to not cut it because the term 'disability benefit' scares you in to not wanting to harm or insult anyone disabled? How is that any different than the unemployed who you are harming with this?
Reply 7
The system itself is an 'abuse' so whatever comes after is moot.
Reply 8
You can't say there's "no reason" to be unemployed; you have to take into account disabilities aswell, as some people can't work as it would affect their health.
Reply 9
Original post by Tommyjw
And what.. exactly.. is this going to solve with people who are genuinely looking for jobs but simply cannot find one? We aren't in some amazing prosperous age here kiddo, their aren't enough jobs. Maybe you should read up a bit first before making these claims.

Oh and p.s. .. again if you would have had up more .. you would know that not all people who claim disability benefits should be getting them. Exactly the same as the rest.. always people 'cheating'the system.

Now tell me.. why aren't you going to cut disability benefits? It's exactly the same as the rest, people use it to not get a job (sometimes, obviously) when they are able to ? Are you just going to not cut it because the term 'disability benefit' scares you in to not wanting to harm or insult anyone disabled? How is that any different than the unemployed who you are harming with this?

There are new jobs being advertised every day, and not the ones where it actually takes a person with a degree or someone with experience to undertake it. Even though most jobseekers barely have any GCSE's, it still shouldn't stop them from getting a job, they're just lazy.

People with disabilities genuinely may have a reason to not work, why should I want to cut them? If they can't work, they can't. Lowering the limit of all benefits would be a good idea and actually start motivating people to get a job even the retards.
Original post by efn
Serious thread, Governments should really start to get a grip on what/who they give their money to so indubitably. And no I don't claim any student loans, my 'mummy and daddy' both earn over £90k and I would be disgusted if they had ever claimed any sort of benefits in their life.

So you do sponge off your parents then so how is that different than someone who gets money from elsewhere.

Did you parents never get any child benefit? thats strange.
Original post by efn
There are new jobs being advertised every day, and not the ones where it actually takes a person with a degree or someone with experience to undertake it. Even though most jobseekers barely have any GCSE's, it still shouldn't stop them from getting a job, they're just lazy.

People with disabilities genuinely may have a reason to not work, why should I want to cut them? If they can't work, they can't. Lowering the limit of all benefits would be a good idea and actually start motivating people to get a job even the retards.

and there is where any doubt of this not being a troll thread disapear.

So in a town with thousands unemployed and 3 new jobs say being advertised a week (and yet more people are fired than that a week in the town) then since theres 3 jobs then that means people are lazy?

So the people I know who have 2:1 or 1sts at uni who either are unemployed or have minimum wage jobs are lazy?

I seriously doubt you come from a wealthy family since the term retard is used by teenagers who are used to crappy American tv.
Reply 12
So you do sponge off your parents then so how is that different than someone who gets money from elsewhere.

Did you parents never get any child benefit? thats strange.

I have a job, sir. And again why would you want to claim benefits when you're earning above £90k?
There is more people looking for jobs than jobs is that a good reason to not have a job?
Reply 14
and there is where any doubt of this not being a troll thread disapear.

So in a town with thousands unemployed and 3 new jobs say being advertised a week (and yet more people are fired than that a week in the town) then since theres 3 jobs then that means people are lazy?

So the people I know who have 2:1 or 1sts at uni who either are unemployed or have minimum wage jobs are lazy?

I seriously doubt you come from a wealthy family since the term retard is used by teenagers who are used to crappy American tv.

If you are unemployed and there aren't enough jobs in your area, why not go self employed and start a business up cleaning toilets or windows or even setting up your own market stall? Being unemployed sounds hard work...
Reply 15
It's not only the unemployed that apparently "abuse" the system - my friend is in a similar situation to yours her parents are millionaires (each of her siblings has a separate house under their name) but her dad get's his accountant to change a few things around so she is still eligible for the bursary and grants the uni gives students, and he also claims benefits, how's that fair?!

Many people want to work, they just cannot find work.
Reply 16
Original post by efn

Rofl.. 'new jobs being advertised every day' is really your argument?

What about all the business's going out of business? Your saying when hundreds, and sometimes thousands, of jobs are gone, those people cxan just find work easily?
such as this story http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-13223035

+ were adding in all the people each year who are 'newly able to work' such as graduates + general school leavers + people from overseas etc

And the point is, people with disabilities may have a reason not to work
just like unemployed people may have a reason they cannot find a job
So.. i ask again.. why are they different? Both have people who cheat the system. So why don't you want to cut both?
Or.. is it because the only thing you've read (your article) states nothing about it.. thus your taking all your guesses from that and have no idea about anything else?

When you scrounge off your mummy and daddy.. and you fail to grasp simple economical arguments, you fail, this thread is a fail.

Have you even experienced the real world?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Sam89
It's not only the unemployed that apparently "abuse" the system - my friend is in a similar situation to yours her parents are millionaires (each of her siblings has a separate house under their name) but her dad get's his accountant to change a few things around so she is still eligible for the bursary and grants the uni gives students, and he also claims benefits, how's that fair?!

Many people want to work, they just cannot find work.

Her dad is just clever, people can trick the system only if you're smart but being on the dole and cheating money out of the government is absurd.
1 - there is a difference between people like that, and people who are genuinally in need of state help.
2 - There are not enough jobs out there. 2.5 million unemployed, 0.5 million jobs available. So what are you going to do with the 2 million people?
Reply 19
Original post by efn
Her dad is just clever, people can trick the system only if you're smart but being on the dole and cheating money out of the government is absurd.

hypocritical troll is hypocritical.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending