Best Student account Watch

Moonkin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Am I right in thinking Santander would be a wise choice? It seems banks such as Natwest and Halifax have withdrawn all of their perks and only offer interest free overdrafts.

I'm pretty certain Santander still offer free insurance all pretty much all your gadgets?
Beska
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Moonkin)
Am I right in thinking Santander would be a wise choice? It seems banks such as Natwest and Halifax have withdrawn all of their perks and only offer interest free overdrafts.

I'm pretty certain Santander still offer free insurance all pretty much all your gadgets?
They've withdrawn all their perks because banks usually only offer perks in the summer before the fall that you would start - they usually start their deals and advertising june/july time. Wait until then.
SirMasterKey
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Beska)
They've withdrawn all their perks because banks usually only offer perks in the summer before the fall that you would start - they usually start their deals and advertising june/july time. Wait until then.
This.

Although just to give my 2 pence, don't go for Lloyds, they changed their plan for all standard accounts so that they recieved no interest. Ok with Natwest I only get a few pence really but it's better than nothing.
Beska
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SirMasterKey)
Athough just to give my 2 pence, don't go for Lloyds,
Ditto.

They also charge you for using your overdraft. It's not really interest free. It's ridiculous.

"INTEREST FREE OVERDRAFT (except we charge you for using it anyway)!!!!!! SIGN UP NOW!!!!"
avila
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What about the co-op bank btw.?

Other than their supposed ethical policy, does anything else speak in their favour?
Beska
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by avila)
What about the co-op bank btw.?

Other than their supposed ethical policy, does anything else speak in their favour?
They offer the highest guaranteed interest-free overdraft.
hypocriticaljap
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Santander have notorious customer service.
Moonkin
Rep:
?
(Original post by hypocriticaljap)
Santander have notorious customer service.
Ah okay I'll wait till summer but I'm certain Natwest has withdraw its Railcard and Halifax has nothing. I went in today and they said that. Wouldn't they have told me to wait and sign up letter for better perks?
Beska
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
but I'm certain Natwest has withdraw its Railcard
They have withdrew it every year for the past 6 years, only to reinstate it during the next offer period.

e:

Wouldn't they have told me to wait and sign up letter for better perks?
You don't understand how banks work. If you sign up now, they make the money without giving you any of the perks (which cost them money). It's in their interest not to give you the perks.
Moonkin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Beska)
They have withdrew it every year for the past 6 years, only to reinstate it during the next offer period.

e:

You don't understand how banks work. If you sign up now, they make the money without giving you any of the perks (which cost them money). It's in their interest not to give you the perks.
Well played. Take a bow son.
muzza798
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tbh i dont think the 'guy behind the desk' really cares about whether or not the bank will make more money in the summer if they dont give out the perks so he would of just said if they were or not in the future.

What have been the best deals in the past?
SirMasterKey
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by muzza798)
Tbh i dont think the 'guy behind the desk' really cares about whether or not the bank will make more money in the summer if they dont give out the perks so he would of just said if they were or not in the future.

What have been the best deals in the past?
I would. Making more money would be where the banks finds my wages.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (561)
37.68%
No - but I will (116)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (106)
7.12%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (706)
47.41%

Watched Threads