Feel a bit disheartened Watch

LubyLoo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Today I received two of my essays back, both which I'd worked pretty hard on. I got 48% in one and 53% in the other.

I was told by a tutor that 48% is still in what they call the 'top band' to be able to major in the subject next year.

I got some good comments, although I was told I quote too much, and they both stated it was clear I had researched well.

I just feel disappointed, especially with the one at 48%. I'm worried I won't be able to do well in my degree, which seems silly, but it's how I feel.

Has anyone else felt like this?
pikaboo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Oh yeah. I got what I would have considered crap marks last year because I hadn't adjusted to uni style essays, which need a different kind of approach than A level...forget description, a lot more analysis and outside reading is needed. Maybe more practise and swotting up on techniques will help...good luck
LubyLoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by pikaboo)
Oh yeah. I got what I would have considered crap marks last year because I hadn't adjusted to uni style essays, which need a different kind of approach than A level...forget description, a lot more analysis and outside reading is needed. Maybe more practise and swotting up on techniques will help...good luck
I assume I can only get better (I hope). I am going to try and make this next essay better, as I now know where my weaknesses are. Thanks x
alocin
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Try asking your tutors if there is any way you can take a look at some first/2:1/2:2 level essays from previous years, just to get an idea of the sort of level you should be working at. And be sure to read the assessment guidelines - if you make a note of what the first/2:1 levels need and be sure to follow that in your essay writing then that should help. And answer the question!

You can write a really good essay but if it doesn't answer the question and follow what the assessment guidelines want then you won't get good marks.

My two cents.
nikk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I know the feeling. I just recieved some coursework back and got a C+. I am assuming that is in the 56-60% range. Very disappointed with that (especially since my last assignment recieved 99%!!). Must work harder!
pikaboo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You can't forget either that at A level we're used to thinking that 70% + or whatever will get an A is good, whereas at uni the boundaries are lower and to get a first is outstanding work, requiring something quite extraordinary and not just hard work.
Hanzing
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I know what you mean, I got 57% in my first exam and was a little disappointed.. But then I started thinking.. Hey At least Ive Passed My First Exam
erk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
no big deal, it's a learning curve!
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by erk)
no big deal, it's a learning curve!
Yes but you can't afford to be on a learning curve when you want a first! You need to get it right, everytime! (from the 2nd year onwards anyway)
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm told that no-one in my Law & State set received below a 2:1 for our first essay; which is reassuring, provided it wasn't marked by the tutor herself (who is, truth be told, a bit of a plank).
Poica
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I seem to be getting worse - 65 for my first, 69 for my second, 55 for my third...eugh, but unless something goes horribly wrong, I'll still get a 2:1 overall for this term!! It'll do for the first term...
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Poica)
I seem to be getting worse - 65 for my first, 69 for my second, 55 for my third...eugh, but unless something goes horribly wrong, I'll still get a 2:1 overall for this term!! It'll do for the first term...
Yep, make sure you do well in the exams and you will get it easy...maybe even a first
Lenneh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by pikaboo)
You can't forget either that at A level we're used to thinking that 70% + or whatever will get an A is good, whereas at uni the boundaries are lower and to get a first is outstanding work, requiring something quite extraordinary and not just hard work.
I totally agree with this, it's a lot lot harder to get the higher marks in university work it seems. I got 58% in my first Economics exam (somehow!) which, at A-Level would be a D? But at uni it's 18% above my required percentage for passing the course!

Also the pass mark for your major is 45% Lucy? So you're still on course! I think that the first few pieces of work we do in the first year will probably be a bit lower because we're still adjusting to the standard. So it's all good
LauraB84
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You're at Lancaster aren't you? I know LUSU run an essay bank thing...don't know much about it but you can look at essays which got a first or a 2.1, maybe that'll give you an idea about how you can improve? I think my first essay I got about a 50 on but then I did another over Christmas and managed to get a 60. Like others have said, don't be disheartened it just takes a while to get used to the fact that a 60 at degree level is a lot better than a 60 was at A Level!

Also check the feedback for your essay. Have you made any mistakes, like not referencing properly? That can lose you a few marks and is something that can easil be improved on.
erk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My uni gives grades for some reason, and says they turn the grades into a percentage and averages them out..

what percentage is an A and B, anyonnnne? examples?
LubyLoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by LauraB84)
You're at Lancaster aren't you? I know LUSU run an essay bank thing...don't know much about it but you can look at essays which got a first or a 2.1, maybe that'll give you an idea about how you can improve? I think my first essay I got about a 50 on but then I did another over Christmas and managed to get a 60. Like others have said, don't be disheartened it just takes a while to get used to the fact that a 60 at degree level is a lot better than a 60 was at A Level!

Also check the feedback for your essay. Have you made any mistakes, like not referencing properly? That can lose you a few marks and is something that can easil be improved on.
It is more over quoting, and weak introductions and conclusions. I have a criminology essay in for Friday so I will try and improve in those areas and see if that helps.

And the essay bank thing looks good, I will look into it.
Poica
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by erk)
My uni gives grades for some reason, and says they turn the grades into a percentage and averages them out..

what percentage is an A and B, anyonnnne? examples?
40-49% is a third class
50-59% is a 2:2
60-69% is a 2:1
70-100% is a 1:1
Above 80% in History is approaching publishable work.

That's what we've been told, we haven't been given grades in A, B, etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (142)
27.36%
No (377)
72.64%

Watched Threads