Paying accommodation termly? Watch

muzza798
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
At Portsmouth Uni they say you can pay termly but will that mean December and April or Sept and Jan?

I need to start planning my money situation and need to some sort of guidance, experience etc. whether or not its different at your uni i would like the feedback.

My fees for accommodation are looking likely to be a pricey £4000 and my loans/part time job should give me a stable enough platform but i have to pay for things like a laptop etc which means my first loan installment will be blitzed.

The £1200 uni bursary i get wont be paid in until jan and april so that wont help if the first rent installment has to made in sept.

Help appreciated
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by muzza798)
At Portsmouth Uni they say you can pay termly but will that mean December and April or Sept and Jan?

I need to start planning my money situation and need to some sort of guidance, experience etc. whether or not its different at your uni i would like the feedback.

My fees for accommodation are looking likely to be a pricey £4000 and my loans/part time job should give me a stable enough platform but i have to pay for things like a laptop etc which means my first loan installment will be blitzed.

The £1200 uni bursary i get wont be paid in until jan and april so that wont help if the first rent installment has to made in sept.

Help appreciated
It varies between universities. Email the accommodation office and ask.
badger-man
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Help appreciated
I paid termly. The termly halls fees coincide with the payments from the student loans company so I found it better to do it that way to avoid me overspending and not having enough for rent.
parasitic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm sure you pay in 3 terms just when your loan comes through.
Also get an overdraft to pay for rent if you think you're going to need extra financial help.

I paid monthly and I'm fine. I can manage my money well. My last loan is here to clear my overdraft and I'm still left with some extra cash to spend
muzza798
Rep:
?
Cheers for the help. I emailed them and they said October, Jan and may are the 3 installments.

I have a job and should be ok but the bursary payments rly piss me off. Why do they give them out so late. It would be so much better imo if they gave one half in Sept and one in April.

I want a car now and although i had my heart set on living in the guildhall area im starting to think Langstone would be a good shout. Its MUCH cheaper and they have a car park facilities. Interesting decisions to be made.
wonderingwot2do
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i paid mine in one installment this year, saving a couple of hundred pounds, but moving to bath next year and they provide no incentive to do so so I shall be keeping the cash in my bank :-(

some unis allow monthly payment, if it makes it easier?
badger-man
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Out of interest, you said your bursary is £1200. Have they increased it as I receive a bursary of £900 off the University which is apparently the maximum?
http://www.port.ac.uk/departments/st...sitybursaries/
muzza798
Rep:
?
(Original post by badger-man)
Out of interest, you said your bursary is £1200. Have they increased it as I receive a bursary of £900 off the University which is apparently the maximum?
http://www.port.ac.uk/departments/st...sitybursaries/
I'm coming from a local college (highbury) so get £300 extra
badger-man
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm coming from a local college (highbury) so get £300 extra
Ah ok, cool.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Portsmouth
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
    Sat, 6 Jul '19
    Sat, 12 Oct '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (194)
39.43%
No - but I will (29)
5.89%
No - I don't want to (34)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (235)
47.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise