The Student Room Group

For Indians and Pakistanis(and brits too if you want to comment)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by efn
they all smell funny

Sorry, what was that. Still dreaming of A-Levels...
Original post by Limitless
Sorry, what was that. Still dreaming of A-Levels...

loll
Reply 42
My dad told me that Jinnah wanted a Pakistan where all faiths could get along, not like the tension that was going on between muslims and hindus in the years leading up to the partition. Its just sad that Pakistan has turned to what it is now. I hope that one day it could be what Jinaah intended it to be.
Reply 43
i completely agree! why i am pakistani, so many of our close family friends are indian, why was there any need to divide, everyone was perfectly fine and now it has made the two countries enemies without any reason! very silly!
Reply 44
Original post by kalaghoda
True, but they did have a role to play in the partition as well. I'm pretty fair as far as this is concerned. The British certainly did help the Indians/Pakistanis a lot HOWEVER, they did exploit us mercilessly, looted us and did everything for their own selfish gain.
This also warrants a different thread. This thread is about whether a united India would have been better. Cheers

if it wasnt for this selfish gain, then our country would not be what it is today, all powerful and rich countries have done this either now or in the past, this cannot be coincidence.
Reply 45
I'm really happy to see that so many people(young people)have such strong views on the subject.
Also, I'm sorry I forgot to mention Bangladesh. If Pakistan was unnecessary, Bangladesh was even more unnecessary IMO. :frown:
Reply 46
Partition was necessary to protect the muslim identity regarding social, cultural & religion rituals. Even our forefathers lived togather before partition but still they were not willing to marry with each other & basic rights inculding good education & high designation were bereaved to muslims.

Resultantly, Jinnah put his all efforts to uplift muslims & to protect their basic rights & solution was only "creation of Pakistan"
I'm sorry. Yes sikhs as well.
This isn't relevant to this discussion, but the Sikhs wanted a separate state around the early 80's I think. I don't know much about that, do you know why that came about?

yes mate, first it is relevant. 90% of people that died during partition where Sikhs. Why we want and still do a seperate state? Something to do with the fact that we have lost between 250,000 and 1million Sikhs because of ****ty india and its fake democracy.
Reply 48
Don't you think India should never have been partitioned into India and Pakistan? Hindus and Muslims were living together in peace for centuries before the British adopted the 'Divide and Rule' policy and influenced certain Muslim leaders to push for Pakistan.
Jinnah was the most secular person and didn't even practice Islam. I don't know how he ever got the idea of creating a separate state for Pakistan. I'm reading a book 'The true story of India's Partition'. The author has stated that Jinnah, on his deathbed, remarked, "I have got what I wanted, but I have committed the greatest blunder of my life".
I just feel that it would have been so much better and life would be so much easier today if India had never been partitioned.

I don't believe there should have been a partition between India and Pakistan, but that is based upon my superficial knowledge on the topic. I am looking to read in to it further. I googled the title of that book you mentioned and I cannot find it. Could you link me to it please or give me the name of the author.

Original post by okapobcfc08
yes mate, first it is relevant. 90% of people that died during partition where Sikhs. Why we want and still do a seperate state? Something to do with the fact that we have lost between 250,000 and 1million Sikhs because of ****ty india and its fake democracy.

What do you think about the Babbar Khalsa organisation?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by Freyma
I don't believe there should have been a partition between India and Pakistan, but that is based upon my superficial knowledge on the topic. I am looking to read in to it further. I googled the title of that book you mentioned and I cannot find it. Could you link me to it please or give me the name of the author.

http://www.indiawise.com/reviews/rev23.htm
Religion was used as a smokescreen for the partition of British India when it was a divide based on many other factors!

Pakistan partition wasn't from India however it was from British rule of what they termed 'India'. Pakistan is a completely distinct country from India from our culture, ethnicity to our values along with our heritage. In no way, shape or form do i feel that partition should have never occured and you'll be hard pushed to find a Pakistani who thinks otherwise.

Pakistan is a blessing!
Original post by okapobcfc08

exactly the sikhs would have been much better off with their own democratic state. india claims to be the biggest democratic country in the world, its not fkin democratic at all. if i say i want a independant state for sikhs, and i say it in this country, as soon as i go to india ill be picked up by indian intelligence and be reported missing, this has happend to countless amounts of people. furthermore look at what the indian government did to the sikh holy place in 1984, and killed countless innocent sikh men women and children, and the thousands more than died in the late 80's and early 90's.
Original post by Freyma
I

What do you think about the Babbar Khalsa organisation?

A bit too radical for my liking, but not all of them have been full on terrorists. The name might seen extremist, but I would never compared them to an IRA or Al Qaeda (at least hope not!!)
Original post by Dr.Sweet Science
Religion was used as a smokescreen for the partition of British India when it was a divide based on many other factors!

Pakistan partition wasn't from India however it was from British rule of what they termed 'India'. Pakistan is a completely distinct country from India from our culture, ethnicity to our values along with our heritage. In no way, shape or form do i feel that partition should have never occured and you'll be hard pushed to find a Pakistani who thinks otherwise.

Pakistan is a blessing!

That's not true at all is it, care to explain? Particularly with regards to ethnicity and heritage please.
And also, **** players like Ajit Agarkar and Shoaib Malik wouldn't get into the team. Good times.

It wouldn't be fair to the rest of the cricket world if that the two teams were still one. Australia and only Australia would be able to give us a half decent game.
Reply 55
I don't think it would have been a good idea to unite the subcontinent. Civil war would have prevented India from prospering. If Hindus and Muslims can't get along due to religion, culture, social status and power politics then a divorce is preferable.

And it seems that divorce was the best option. Now India is progressing light years away from Pakistan and Bangladesh. I think it's a fair thing to say that Indians got the better end of the deal.
Reply 56
Original post by A.K85
I don't think it would have been a good idea to unite the subcontinent. Civil war would have prevented India from prospering. If Hindus and Muslims can't get along due to religion, culture, social status and power politics then a divorce is preferable.

And it seems that divorce was the best option. Now India is progressing light years away from Pakistan and Bangladesh. I think it's a fair thing to say that Indians got the better end of the deal.

Bangladesh is 20 years younger than India and Pakistan though. They suffered a lot during the 1971 war.
the op of this thread is living in fantasy land?

MUSLIMS AND HINDUS LIVING TOGETHER IN PEACE FOR CENTURIES??? LOL

the british were forced to partition india. funny, there was me thinking the hindus were angry about being ruled by muslims for over thousand years?

OP, where are you learning this PC drivel from?
Reply 58
Original post by humanrights
the op of this thread is living in fantasy land?

MUSLIMS AND HINDUS LIVING TOGETHER IN PEACE FOR CENTURIES??? LOL

the british were forced to partition india. funny, there was me thinking the hindus were angry about being ruled by muslims for over thousand years?

OP, where are you learning this PC drivel from?

This was the case in most parts of the Indian subcontinent for centuries, especially in the Empires of the Marathas, Bahamanis, Mysoreans, Vijayanagaras, Travancore, Gujurat, Rajkots, Mughals etc.

Or do you dispute this?
Original post by effofex
This was the case in most parts of the Indian subcontinent for centuries, especially in the Empires of the Marathas, Bahamanis, Mysoreans, Vijayanagaras, Travancore, Gujurat, Rajkots, Mughals etc.

Or do you dispute this?

dispute what?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending