The Student Room Group

Why do Americans believe that their soldiers 'Fight for their freedom'?

(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Social conditioning.
Because if their soldiers weren't out there fighting for their freedom then the japanese and the russians and the iraqis and the germans and the english and the a-rabs and the indians and the martians would all gang up and attack America and go into their homes and rape their children and burn their flags. Thats also why they are allowed to keep guns.

GAWD BLESS AMERIICA
I think when they say freedom they mean their safety and their beliefs. I also think Al-Qaeda would be much more terrifying than a communist power if they had the support behind them. If we did leave the middle-East at this point, it is possible they could regather support and go to war with the west. So in fairness the troops there are fighting for their countries safety and perhaps in the longer term freedom.
Freedom from terrorism, I think.

Obviously, there were a lot of factors that led to 9/11, but that was one of the first major attacks on mainland America that really got the public's attention.

America isn't used to that. They're rarely targeted in their own back-yard. Sure, plenty of American forces have been involved in wars, but it's usually America going to them, rather than them coming back at them.

To them, the war is fighting for their freedom from terrorist groups. I can see where they are coming from, as obviously terrorists attack civilians based on the belief that they are just as responsible for American military action worldwide as the soliders themselves.

They want the freedom to be able to go to work, be out in the city etc without some nutter flying a plane into a building.
Reply 5
Original post by Lewroll
Because if their soldiers weren't out there fighting for their freedom then the japanese and the russians and the iraqis and the germans and the english and the a-rabs and the indians and the martians would all gang up and attack America and go into their homes and rape their children and burn their flags. Thats also why they are allowed to keep guns.

GAWD BLESS AMERIICA

I LOLed.

Because they quake in fear at the idea of Commies and Moslems.
Reply 6
Milky Milk

What exactly do they mean by it? Do you agree? Or are they just throwing out any patriotic statements that don't actually make sense?
Most countries do things like this. It helps recruit and maintain an army and to pacify those who have lost family in wars. In Britain, we have something similar: we say "They gave their today for our tomorrow" on Remembrance Day. But in the case of the majority of soldiers who have died in the British army, that is complete crap. It is comforting to believe it's true, though.
Original post by Kolya
Most countries do things like this. It helps recruit and maintain an army and to pacify those who have lost family in wars. In Britain, we have something similar: we say "They gave their today for our tomorrow" on Remembrance Day. But in the case of the majority of soldiers who have died in the British army, that is complete crap. It is comforting to believe it's true, though.

It's very apt on Remembrance Day in relation to those who lost their lives in the second and first World Wars though
xx
Reply 8
Because they'd rather pretend they're fighting for that than oil.
America does indeed fight for freedom and has done since it became a country and that is not something that anyone can deny because they saved our asses in two world wars, and we tag teamed iraq and "freed it" *ahem (ruined it slightly) but America is definatly helping the people of afghanistan because the taliban and their retarded logic is just that retarded :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by blinkbelle

Original post by blinkbelle
It's very apt on Remembrance Day in relation to those who lost their lives in the second and first World Wars though
xx

Err. Because WW1 was a fight for freedom? :eyebrow:
Reply 11
Am because the leaders of some countries have expressed open hatred and desire to harm America in some way or another be it physically, culturally, ideologically (Iran). Freedom is not just physical it encompasses such things in the case of the USA, free speech, capitalism, secularism, security(free form terrorism) "western values" etc. In their minds they are fighting for their freedom, the freedom to be "American".
Reply 12
Possibly because the individuals they are currently fighting would like to see the western world become an Islamic theocracy.

Terrorist factbook

THEY HATE US BECAUSE OF OUR FREEDOMS

THEY FROM EYE-RACK

OBAMA-BIDEN, OSAMA BIN LADEN. COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT.

GAWD BLESS 'MURIKA
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by The Doctor. SW
I think when they say freedom they mean their safety and their beliefs. I also think Al-Qaeda would be much more terrifying than a communist power if they had the support behind them. If we did leave the middle-East at this point, it is possible they could regather support and go to war with the west. So in fairness the troops there are fighting for their countries safety and perhaps in the longer term freedom.

Dont forget the communists, OH GAWD TEH COMMIES! :afraid:
You're not going to die for state interests if they told you it's because of state interests are you? Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori. (Or something like that).
Original post by Milky Milk
I was watching Extreme Home Makeover (I just had to mention this) and there was a really emotional story about an American soldier who had his leg blown off in Afghanistan/Iraq/Somewhere. Anyway to get to the point, various people were saying 'They're out there to fight for our freedom'.... 'They're fighting for us to be free' etc. Why do they say this? I genuinely don't understand this as it's not as if al-Qaeda who I'm pressuming this war is mainly based around are hardly a communist superpower or anything.

What exactly do they mean by it? Do you agree? Or are they just throwing out any patriotic statements that don't actually make sense?

This lie has been perpetuated in American consciousness since independence. Hell, the Mexican-American War that was supposedly fought for the freedom of Texas, was actually fought for the freedom of Texans to keep slaves, which Mexico had banned there.
Reply 16
Original post by Milky Milk
I was watching Extreme Home Makeover (I just had to mention this) and there was a really emotional story about an American soldier who had his leg blown off in Afghanistan/Iraq/Somewhere. Anyway to get to the point, various people were saying 'They're out there to fight for our freedom'.... 'They're fighting for us to be free' etc. Why do they say this? I genuinely don't understand this as it's not as if al-Qaeda who I'm pressuming this war is mainly based around are hardly a communist superpower or anything.

because osama thought that by attacking the USA we would crumble like the USSR. So even though he massively failed, it was his intention to try and defeat us, which is probably what they are infering to. If Al Queada (spelling . . . ) had their way they would have defeated us. There were supposedly also other plans by Osama to attack again in September on the 10 year aniversary of 9/11. We also have a tendency to believe that our country represents freedom. Sp when they say "fight for freedom" they sometimes are using freedom to symbolize America so they really mean "fight for the USA".

If soldiers believe they are fighting for the freedom of their families and friends they are also more likely to enlist and fight well
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
lack of education
Reply 18
Original post by Vozhak
Am because the leaders of some countries have expressed open hatred and desire to harm America in some way or another be it physically, culturally, ideologically (Iran). Freedom is not just physical it encompasses such things in the case of the USA, free speech, capitalism, secularism, security(free form terrorism) "western values" etc. In their minds they are fighting for their freedom, the freedom to be "American".

last time i checked america wasn't at war with iran... maybe i should refresh the bbc website??

oh didn't see you referring to america as a secular country there; i get it, you're joking.
Because they're deluded and have been brainwashed by the idea of a "war hero".

Pacifist 'till I die, yo.

Quick Reply

Latest