They may raise Uni fees to £9000, but will you get what you pay for? Watch

Poll: They may raise Uni fees to £9000, but will you get what you pay for?
Same as before (33)
82.5%
Worse than before (5)
12.5%
Teaching quality will improve, better quality of degree etc. (2)
5%
slavetosociety
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Pretty much every uni is considering to increase university fees to £9000 - From London South Bank and right up to Oxbridge.
They may raise Uni fees to £9000, but will you get what you pay for? Most importantly, will teaching quality increase?
Or nothing will change and basically students will be paying £9000 for professors to copy and write down notes given to students, no extra help given and basically the same as before the uni fees were raised?
Leo*
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As far as I'm aware, aren't uni fees increasing to fill the gap left by the decrease in government funding.
If so, things will remain the same won't they?
slavetosociety
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Leo*)
As far as I'm aware, aren't uni fees increasing to fill the gap left by the decrease in government funding.
If so, things will remain the same won't they?
SirMasterKey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Your fees don't just go on paying the lecturer's you know.

Overall I'd say it will either stay the same or the uni will make slight changes to make it that tiny bit better.
emi_sarb
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It will stay the same as before. The universities aren't getting any extra funding they're just getting more from the students to make up the loss in what they get from the government.
WelshBluebird
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by slavetosociety)
Essentially:
The government have cut university funding by a large amount.
The higher fees will just take the place of the government funding.

So most universities will not get any / much more money, so there is no reason why standards would increase.
Hylean
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I imagine it'll stay the same really as the universities will actually be getting less money overall due to the cut in funding.
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd imagine less tbh.

Less funding + fewer students (which I think is a real possibility) = Less money = Worse unis.
Ewan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Personally I'd rather just pay £1000 or so for the final exams and skip the lecture part entirely. Most of it is self teaching anyway...
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Stay the same - I pay £3000 a year, and I don't know how the teaching quality could improve on loads of my courses the lecturers are brilliant - friendly, knowledgeable, very approachable, I would give them 10/10. Me paying £6k more a year won't make them better.

The QMUL library has just been massively revamped, as has loads of our campus, our union was updated 2 years ago - paying £6k more a year won't improve them, they're already improved.

I don't see how paying £6k more a year will improve very much (for QMUL anyway).
punkyrocker
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yep - I don't see why people are thinking that the standard of universities will dramatically increase. I saw an interview with a guy from a university I wasn't expecting to charge £9000 (I think it was London South Bank) and he was saying that despite all this 'extra money' people are assuming they'll gain, they're actually going to be losing money because of the government cuts. The teaching/facilities/etc are in no way being changed, improved, upgraded - we're just filling the gap left by the government.
Dude Where's My Username
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The burden of course fees is being transferred from government funding to the customers. So I'd imagine it would be identical.
Casshern1456
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't think we will be seeing that much change even if the fee is £9000 changes will still be implemented as usual no quicker even if it does rise. So "we won't be getting what we paid for" so to speak, it's still tuition fee and if we want to get into HE then we have to pay it but the government has plans to help the students from poorer backgrounds to get into university and hope they are not deterred by it. I will still be going to uni this year just because I don't want to pay the 9k fee.
n65uk
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I doubt there will be a change at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (432)
37.47%
No - but I will (88)
7.63%
No - I don't want to (79)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (554)
48.05%

Watched Threads