Crime in Madrid Watch

Helevorn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi all,

Myself and my fiancé will be heading to Madrid from 1-8th of July. We've traveled together to Berlin,Rome (twice),Copenhagen and just outside Antwerp. This is our first time going to Spain, which i know is strange as EVERYONE has been to Spain hehe.

When we travel together he has this idea 'oh we will pick it up as we go along' but I'm a bit of a travel Nazi, i check maps of where the hotel is, easiest metro route to the hotel, safety tips, sights, metro card costs etc.

I have been reading about Madrid and have noticed a very large percentage of people say about thieves, especially on the metro. My question is what are your experiences of this and is it easy to avoid? I'm thinking it is a case where you must be stupid to be mugged, if you follow basic rules. I will normally carry a backpack with map,travel guide,phrase book and my camcorder in, but i will make sure it isn't on my back.

Apart from safety tips i was wondering if anyone had any really out of the way places to see in Madrid, i know we aren't going for 2 months, but still, always nice to plan! :P
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can get travel wallet bags (like flat bum bags), that can be worn underneath clothes, perfect for cards/documents/notes. Worse case scenario that you are mugged, you still got the main stuff. But tourist crime strikes me as an affair of common sense i.e. not leaving cameras and wallets on a table outdoors, not going off the beaten track too far..
fiona344
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Madrid is a fantastic city! Their metro system is so modern, clean, and excellent really, all metro's should be like that.

Been a few years since I was there, but it didn't feel unsafe in any way when I was there and we weren't being overly cautious. I'd imagine theres less crime there than the likes of Barcelona and Rome, like you say if your not being stupid and a blatant tourist on the streets then you should be fine.
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Helevorn)
Hi all,

Myself and my fiancé will be heading to Madrid from 1-8th of July. We've traveled together to Berlin,Rome (twice),Copenhagen and just outside Antwerp. This is our first time going to Spain, which i know is strange as EVERYONE has been to Spain hehe.

When we travel together he has this idea 'oh we will pick it up as we go along' but I'm a bit of a travel Nazi, i check maps of where the hotel is, easiest metro route to the hotel, safety tips, sights, metro card costs etc.

I have been reading about Madrid and have noticed a very large percentage of people say about thieves, especially on the metro. My question is what are your experiences of this and is it easy to avoid? I'm thinking it is a case where you must be stupid to be mugged, if you follow basic rules. I will normally carry a backpack with map,travel guide,phrase book and my camcorder in, but i will make sure it isn't on my back.

Apart from safety tips i was wondering if anyone had any really out of the way places to see in Madrid, i know we aren't going for 2 months, but still, always nice to plan! :P
I've never heard Madrid was a crime hotspot, at least no more than any other major city. I've heard Barcelona is far worse.

I've been to Madrid several times without any problems. Just be sensible as you would when travelling anywhere.

I can't recall feeling unsafe there at all. There are probably some pickpockets, but it's probably not as bad as London or Paris.
fiona344
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh just remembered, wouldn't say it's crime, but be particularly careful when crossing roads. Drivers there suffer from major road rage - constantly blasting their horns, and won't stop for anything, even if you're halfway across a road.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (260)
38.92%
No - but I will (45)
6.74%
No - I don't want to (49)
7.34%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (314)
47.01%

Watched Threads