The Student Room Group

bitter interview comments?

I had my 3 interviews at Pembroke. Two of them went great but the first one with the admissions tutor, i dont know how it went, as when i finished my last answer he said ''good, very good, for a fairly bad day''. Should i expect a rejection because of that comment? Was it reffering to my answer or his day?hehe i really dont know what to think. Had anyone had any such similar comments?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Last year my interviewer went 'Great!' as I said good-bye and left his office. The interview had been pretty bad, and I felt so upset/insulted/embarrassed because I was pretty certain he meant 'Great, i'm getting rid of you now and I can go to lunch.' But obviously he didn't mean it like that seeing as I'm here now. So my general advice is that if they give you any sort of compliment, take it as a positive.
Reply 2
My interviewer was all like, "Why are you applying here? I'm sure you'd be more suited in other universities. We only take the best here".

I wouldn't read too much into it.
Reply 3
I guess, i just didnt know how to take it. Ill wait and see how he really meant it hehe, will come quite soon, hopefully he meant it the good way :rolleyes:
Reply 4
It's almost a 4-week wait. I didn't take my waiting period very well...
really... wat happened....
Reply 6
What! Don't you watch the international news?!
Reply 7
Camford
It's almost a 4-week wait. I didn't take my waiting period very well...

I'm fed up of waiting already, and I was only interviewed yesterday :rolleyes:
Calvin
What! Don't you watch the international news?!

:biggrin: :cool:

so that was u.... it all makes sense now... :smile: :p:
Reply 9
My interview was yesterday for SPS- i dont know how i am going to waite 4 weeks to finaly get a conformation of a rejection,,
**noooni**
My interview was yesterday for SPS- i dont know how i am going to waite 4 weeks to finaly get a conformation of a rejection,,

Hi, what was your interview like? I have applied for SPS at queens and need all the help I can get
hey- i had 3 interviews -1 was special acess- 1 was general - just questions on why i want to do the course- the the third was the one that i hate :frown: - it was based on my essay, then the interviewer asked a question that i was *trying* to answer with difficulty, then he asked another question which i didnt understand what the actualy question was and he had to repeat it twice! :frown: then i got so nervous i froze, then i said the most stupid thing, it was a question between science and religion and i said ' to have an idealogy' and the interviewer answer with impatience 'science is not an idealogy' made me more nervouse and i said 'but to believe in something..' and he stoped me and defined what idealogy meant- (which i already knew and it made me feel like an idiot that he explained it to me ) :frown:- he said everone belived in something - it doesnt mean they have an ideology .... god its painful just thinking about it :frown:

--------------

hahaa just looking at my post, it is funny, so many purple faces
Reply 12
**noooni**
hey- i had 3 interviews -1 was special acess- 1 was general - just questions on why i want to do the course- the the third was the one that i hate :frown: - it was based on my essay, then the interviewer asked a question that i was *trying* to answer with difficulty, then he asked another question which i didnt understand what the actualy question was and he had to repeat it twice! :frown: then i got so nervous i froze, then i said the most stupid thing, it was a question between science and religion and i said ' to have an idealogy' and the interviewer answer with impatience 'science is not an idealogy' made me more nervouse and i said 'but to believe in something..' and he stoped me and defined what idealogy meant- (which i already knew and it made me feel like an idiot that he explained it to me ) :frown:- he said everone belived in something - it doesnt mean they have an ideology .... god its painful just thinking about it :frown:

--------------

hahaa just looking at my post, it is funny, so many purple faces

You never know... he might jsut have been trying to play devil's advocate on your way of thinking. See who you respond to questioning and thinking. Chin up! :redface:
ice_cube
You never know... he might jsut have been trying to play devil's advocate on your way of thinking. See who you respond to questioning and thinking. Chin up! :redface:

thnx :smile: but even then i would have failed that little test because i emmediatly accepted i was wrong.
Oh well as everyone keeps saying 'at least you tried'
I am just going to have to waite now, :rolleyes:
In my Spanish interview I was asked 'is there anything about the passage you feel you couldn't express in Spanish?'. He wasn't just being polite, my Spanish was dreadful!
I think some of the staff at Cambridge want to see that you can cope under pressure. If you burst into tears at a couple of bitchy comments, then you wouldn't be able to cope with the stress of 3/4 years of very tough work.

Plus by being a little discouraging they know that they're going to weed out the insincere lot.
Reply 16
My interviewer went
"SOME VERY GOOD ANSWERS BUT THEY AREN'T WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR"
I was speechless.
At the end of that i had to apologise because i thought i was a letdown. lol
But the second interviewer was surprised and didn't seem happy when i told her i messed up my first interview. lol That was a positive for me.
Reply 17
izsushant
My interviewer went
"SOME VERY GOOD ANSWERS BUT THEY AREN'T WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR"
I was speechless.
At the end of that i had to apologise because i thought i was a letdown. lol
But the second interviewer was surprised and didn't seem happy when i told her i messed up my first interview. lol That was a positive for me.

Was the first interviewer C live L awson?
It all went super for me I got on really really well with the first interviewer then pretty well with the other 3 (except for when the bloke told me to pick which chair I wanted to sit in! ARGH! Mind-game!)
I had one quite cynical comment, when referring to an essay I did on New Labour one of the tutors remarked...

"well of course you've only been politically aware under the New Labour government"

Not sure exactly what she meant by that, whether it was a sideways dig at my apparent pro-Labour beliefs or a genuine statement of fact. It was the tone that threw me...

Latest

Trending

Trending