?
Report 7 years ago
of course.
cttp_ngaf
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, I'd say so - it's most people's first taste of politics and belonging to a crowd that is kind of grown up and "important", and so it attracts all kinds, mostly divs who really aren't old enough to understand what they're supporting or why.
Bulbasaur
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not as stupid as they are sheep (or should I say mareep). It says a lot the vast majority of people gradually lose these leftist views as they enter their working adult life.
Nick Longjohnson
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes. It continues to astound me.
kerily
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can't post something controversial and then just say 'discuss' without having offered any justification. (Well, you obviously can, as you just did, but my point is that it's not tremendously conducive to debate.)

Some of them are, some of them aren't. I'm a 'leftist', as you so charmingly put it, and I like to think that I'm not stupid.
Planar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wonder why you've introduced a few qualifications, "young" "today's". Can't I just say they all are, and have always been?
IFondledAGibbon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would imagine some are some aren't - same as anything else. Anyone who says ‘yes’ is obviously looking for a reaction. And I'm not going to give them one.

See sig for further details.
edd360
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What do you mean, like people who are against left handed people?
chrislpp
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They're young and they think they're smart enough to make political opinions.

18 years old and got the world ALLLL figured out :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
doomhalo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think that a lot of people who start out as lefties do tend to switch to righties when they get a job and then realise how much tax they pay for what they actually get out of it...
FyreFight
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There are smart people in there, but I've found that a lot go to it through a misplaced sense of 'rebellion' and others through sheer naivety.
Gallant92
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by IFondledAGibbon)
I would imagine some are some aren't - same as anything else. Anyone who says ‘yes’ is obviously looking for a reaction. And I'm not going to give them one.

See sig for further details.

Please rate some other members before rating this member again.

This, sometimes the most obvious answer is the correct one.
nonotrly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They're equally as stupid as every other young person, who in turn are only slightly more stupid than a lot of 'adults', who in turn are perhaps more stupid but less easily fooled than the 40-60 generation, who are slightly more stupid than OAPs.
Jtking3000
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
From what i've seen, most of them seem to be.
lukas1051
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I disagree, I just think that left-wing ideas are more appealing to young people - the rebellion, moving away from traditional views etc. When people start to grow up and make a bit of money and have to pay taxes, it's natural that they lean more to the right.

I'm more of a leftist than I am a rightist(?), but I'd hardly say I'm stupid, I just happen to think left wing views are more fair to society. From an economic point of view, maybe it's different, I'm not so sure. Not to mention that things that directly affect me such at the tuition fee rises don't exactly gain my support.

It's pretty stupid of you to make such a general statement however, I do think some left-wingers are stupid, especially young people who do it to follow a crowd, the sorts of people who wear Che Guevera t-shirts and believe stupid conspiracy theories and think bringing down the government will somehow benefit society. But likewise, many older right-wingers are equally stupid, with quite racist, sexist or selfish views. Simple saying "everyone who believes this is stupid" is in itself a very ignorant thing to say.
MathsWiz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This post reminded me of my politics class in which we were doing a test to see our position on the political spectrum, and there was this one girl who calls herself a "left wing feminist" that must have picked everything she thought was stereotype left-wing, and ended up being more left-wing than Gandhi!

Idiots like this, who think far Left politics are somehow glamorous and a sign of rebellion, are the people who make me agree with your analogy.
FyreFight
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nonotrly)
They're equally as stupid as every other young person, who in turn are only slightly more stupid than a lot of 'adults', who in turn are perhaps more stupid but less easily fooled than the 40-60 generation, who are slightly more stupid than OAPs.
I'd say people in their 30-70s are probably more on the ball than most OAPs. You tend to lose your judgement and connection to society the more time you spend sheltered from it in a home. Also, a sentimental attachment to the old ways tend to cloud judgement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (427)
37.75%
No - but I will (87)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (76)
6.72%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (541)
47.83%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise