BPTC in Sept 2011 thread Watch

claireff
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi
During the lull in applications while everyone awaits the verdict through pupillage portal, I thought it might be nice to start a thread for everyone who is beginning the BPTC this September. Anyone else out there?

I'm starting at City, have paid the deposit (gulp), and most looking forward to meeting other people who are in the same position. I'm on a gap year at the moment so it's been a bit lonely applying.

resipsaloq
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by claireff)
Hi
During the lull in applications while everyone awaits the verdict through pupillage portal, I thought it might be nice to start a thread for everyone who is beginning the BPTC this September. Anyone else out there?

I'm starting at City, have paid the deposit (gulp), and most looking forward to meeting other people who are in the same position. I'm on a gap year at the moment so it's been a bit lonely applying.

Hi!

I'm also going to be doing the BPTC at City in 2011-12. How's the gap year going?
claireff
Rep:
?
Hello!

Gap year is mainly involving lots of private tutoring to raise money for next year. I quite enjoy it, but definitely ready to start the BPTC now. I think it's been helpful having my law conversion result behind me when applying to chambers though. I was first reserve at a chancery set in the January round of applications, and I just don't think I'd have had the confidence to perform very well in the interview if I hadn't already done the law conversion course.

Have you done any qualifying sessions yet? I'm going to my first dinner at my Inn in a few weeks, but feeling quite nervous about it. For one thing, I have no idea what to wear. It's so much easier for men in these situations

I haven't done very much mooting yet (and I can't do it this year because I'm not a student) so also really looking forward to that next year.
kiltedsheep
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm at City this year for the GDL, but can't afford to stay in London for the BPTC - so I'm off to UWE instead in September.

I've been to Bristol a few times and really liked it, but can't say I'm too familiar with the place. quite looking forward to pastures new, though!

apparently there's not as much contact time on the BPTC as there is on the GDL, so hopefully might be able to get a part-time job to try and see me through the year.
resipsaloq
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kiltedsheep)
I'm at City this year for the GDL, but can't afford to stay in London for the BPTC - so I'm off to UWE instead in September.

I've been to Bristol a few times and really liked it, but can't say I'm too familiar with the place. quite looking forward to pastures new, though!

apparently there's not as much contact time on the BPTC as there is on the GDL, so hopefully might be able to get a part-time job to try and see me through the year.
Are you sure? I heard it's four mornings a week face to face teaching.
kiltedsheep
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by resipsaloq)
Are you sure? I heard it's four mornings a week face to face teaching.
That's what they told my husband (who also wants to be a barrister...what an exciting couple we are) when he rang up and asked. might be just a ploy to get him to hand over the deposit, though!
derbybar
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Im going to Nottingham Trent in Sept if there are any folks in the same boat??
claireff
Rep:
?
(Original post by kiltedsheep)
That's what they told my husband (who also wants to be a barrister...what an exciting couple we are) when he rang up and asked. might be just a ploy to get him to hand over the deposit, though!
From what I've heard, I think there should be time to do some part-time work as long as it can be flexible to fit around the quieter periods of the BPTC. There are some long vacations as well, so I'm definitely planning on doing some temping work / tutoring during those. Some providers seem to require more steady work throughout the year, and others seem to give people ridiculously busy times with lots of exams. But then this is only the first year of the BPTC so it might be a bit different next year.

I guess it also depends how much pro bono / mooting you want to fit in. That can take up a huge amount of time as well.
teddex
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am goin to COL London this Sept... anyone else?
mixxy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
From what I've heard, I think there should be time to do some part-time work as long as it can be flexible to fit around the quieter periods of the BPTC. There are some long vacations as well, so I'm definitely planning on doing some temping work / tutoring during those. Some providers seem to require more steady work throughout the year, and others seem to give people ridiculously busy times with lots of exams. But then this is only the first year of the BPTC so it might be a bit different next year.

I guess it also depends how much pro bono / mooting you want to fit in. That can take up a huge amount of time as well.
Hate to burst your bubble, but I know 4/5 people BPTCing at City, and their workload is frankly hideous. I also don't really know where you've got this idea about there being long holidays from. There are gaps but you will have exams, and trust me when I tell you there is a lot of info to be on top of.

I think law tutoring in your spare time will be CVable etc., but otherwise on top of ECs and mooting you are really not going to have much time at all for part time work on top.

I don't really know what people have told all of you re this course - I'm currently on it at BPP, and I was sold it as being a joke, where you had nothing to do but go out and drink at the inn - it really isn't like that. It is not academically challenging and I'm sure you'll all be fine - but it is time consuming, and a real grind, and you need to saty on top of everything or it can get very overwhelming.

Sorry for being doom and gloom - like I say, I am wholly confident it'll be just fine so don't mean to alarm - just wish someone had told me the reality before I'd started.

Best of luck and all that
resipsaloq
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mixxy)
Hate to burst your bubble, but I know 4/5 people BPTCing at City, and their workload is frankly hideous. I also don't really know where you've got this idea about there being long holidays from. There are gaps but you will have exams, and trust me when I tell you there is a lot of info to be on top of.

I think law tutoring in your spare time will be CVable etc., but otherwise on top of ECs and mooting you are really not going to have much time at all for part time work on top.

I don't really know what people have told all of you re this course - I'm currently on it at BPP, and I was sold it as being a joke, where you had nothing to do but go out and drink at the inn - it really isn't like that. It is not academically challenging and I'm sure you'll all be fine - but it is time consuming, and a real grind, and you need to saty on top of everything or it can get very overwhelming.

Sorry for being doom and gloom - like I say, I am wholly confident it'll be just fine so don't mean to alarm - just wish someone had told me the reality before I'd started.

Best of luck and all that
I think the people who say that the BPTC is no work are the same ones as turn up to exams and pretend they've done no revision, yet somehow end up doing really well.
kiltedsheep
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mixxy)
i'm actually weirdly pleased about this. one thing that was really starting to get my goat was the number of junior barristers who told me that the BPTC was a total doddle and utter waste of money and life and what do people think they're paying for blah blah blah.

seeing as the BPTC is not only compulsory but costs the equivalent of several arms and legs, it's nice to think i might actually learn lots of stuff on it.

(you can remind me i said all this when i'm whinging about the bptc in a year's time...)
mahler
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I study the BPTC in Nottingham and I can assure you it is ALOT of work, I have quite a few friends scattered in other law schools and they all say the same.

What I can guarantee you is the amount of work - its alot and mixxy said if you don't get on top its pretty daunting. However with regards to academics that really just depends on you! I personally was never that great at contract and having done a 4 year course (with contract been done in 1st) i really needed to do a bit of extra study time to pull myself up to the right standard.

Work.. i do know some people who do part time work but they have seriously struggled and most gave it up, I just can't see how it is possible, not without sacrificing your performance on the course.
Emmaleuk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by derbybar)
Meeeeee!
derbybar
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Cool, did you go to the pupillage interview training day?
st_files
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was accepted onto CoL Birmingham but didnt pay the deposit. If I secure pupillage (or have enough interviews and feedback to suggest I would be likely to secure it next year) then I'll pay up and do the BPTC.
pupillagehunt
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

You won't have time for part-time work while on the BPTC, except perhaps for one or two hours of tutoring per week.

I have just finished the BPTC at City. There were ridiculous amounts of work to do. If you're relatively bright and have a good grounding in basic principles of the core subjects, it is not hard academically, but the sheer quantity of work to prepare for classes and assessments made it an exhausting year.

We had two weeks off for Christmas, with assessments to prepare for in January. There are 12 assessments and since January we've basically had at least one every two weeks. We got no Easter break at all, just one week to revise for civil and criminal procedure exams.

The BSB actually told City to timetable an unplanned reading week mid-way through the year because, after an inspection, they thought the new City BPTC put too much of a burden on students.

You have to be pretty weak (or have some sort of disaster) to fail the BPTC, but the idea that it is in any way easy, or that there are long vacations, is misconceived. I don't know what the BVC was like in comparison, but it's been an arduous year and I am very glad it's over!
Nigel85
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Anyone going to the summer social at City University tonight?!
Devil's_Advocate
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by derbybar)
Me too : )

K
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (284)
37.67%
No - but I will (53)
7.03%
No - I don't want to (55)
7.29%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (362)
48.01%

Watched Threads