Has anyone ever lied on UCAS and got away with it... Watch

mexicooo2710
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Im just curious I was 100 percent honest but i know alot of people at Uni who lied about GCSEs and fabricated personal statements...... I even know someone who lied about their A-level results after taking a gap year!

Surely if UCAS had easy access to such information they wouldnt ask you to fill it out
Sazzle4
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've never lied on UCAS or any other type of CV. Surely lying on UCAS is pointless as you'll probably be asked to show your certificates at the start of your course? I even had to present mine at interviews for courses.
cje10
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's illegal. It's not worth it. It will come back to bite you in the arse, eventually.

EDIT; For the people who neg rep, how is my comment in any way wrong? I'm hardly going to sit here and encourage somebody to cause a criminal offence. Saying something like "I have a real passion for X" when you don't is not the sort of lying I'm talking about. Lying about academic information is what I'm talking about and will get you in trouble. Think on.
mexicooo2710
Rep:
?
I didnt have to show any proof or certificates when I started my University course...thinking about it I remember putting the wrong exam boards for loads of my GCSES by mistake and it didn't effect my offers so surely they cant check it otherwise these results I would of claimed to have wouldn't "exist"
Anthony_k
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
last year a friend of mine copied his personal statement exactly from the internet, he never got caught and got his offers, the unis wernt exactly bad either. :/
kind of makes me wonder, but i dont think id ever risk it
mexicooo2710
Rep:
?
Just to clarify this isnt a "should I lie on my UCAS form" thread Im already in my final year of Uni and didnt lie my way to get here Im just saying
Cicerao
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, I wrote in my personal statement that I was highly motivated. :teehee:
Tommyjw
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anthony_k)
last year a friend of mine copied his personal statement exactly from the internet, he never got caught and got his offers, the unis wernt exactly bad either. :/
kind of makes me wonder, but i dont think id ever risk it
But did he reaallllyyyyy?
The Personal Statement is the single place that you cannot effectively lie. (and by lie, i mean big lies such as copying one from internet) since all PS's go through the check thingy.
spacepirate-James
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not gonna lie, I exaggerated a little.

I have a terrible work ethic :teehee:
Bslforever
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/...o_fakin_1.html

Guy lied his way into Harvard.

And he would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you meddling kids.
Limitless
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Probably, but it ain't worth the risk.
Dogatonic
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thing is, if you outright lie and cheat your way into a university it is probably because:
a) you wouldn't otherwise be qualified to get an offer
b) you are too lazy to work hard for exams/write your own personal statement
c) you have very low self esteem

And generally if you're a, b or c you probably would struggle at the university, which doesn't bode well at the end of the day.
Jweldon5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I did and got 5 offers
Mask Of Sanity
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Probably things that go into personal statements or even references could quite easily be lies in some cases but if never investigated, never found out. With grades however, proof is almost always required.
Vulpes
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I burnt a hole in my pajamas when I was 8.

Spoiler:
Show
No way I'll do that. Not worth the risk, dude
hothedgehog
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think there was a bit of exaggeration in mine but never untruths. Things like 'I have played in both the first hockey and lacrosse teams' when I only played a few first team lacrosse matches in reality! - exaggeration but the truth.
jthlm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i know this doesn't really answer your question as such, but my head of sixth form told me to leave out a subject i got a bad grade in (it was my fifth, extra subject anyway) and i never realised you HAD to put it in, regardless of what you got... i don't know if that counts as lying but i doubt anything will happen *waits for something to happen now that i've jinxed it*
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've read of people who lied on a CV 20 years ago and were sacked 20 years later because of it. Some can even go to jail.
http://www.uktrainingworldwide.com/mcDetails.asp?id=197
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (542)
37.74%
No - but I will (112)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (98)
6.82%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (684)
47.63%

Watched Threads