Hydrolysis of Aspirin Watch

StephAmanda
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
As far as i am aware the ester group on an aspirin molecule is the only functional group which undergoes hydrolysis (base catalysed).

Usually ester hydrolysis converts an ester into a carboxylic acid, therefore i dont understand the how the mechanism takes place resulting in an OH group in salicylic acid.
Could anyone explain how this occurs?
shengoc
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by StephAmanda)
As far as i am aware the ester group on an aspirin molecule is the only functional group which undergoes hydrolysis (base catalysed).

Usually ester hydrolysis converts an ester into a carboxylic acid, therefore i dont understand the how the mechanism takes place resulting in an OH group in salicylic acid.
Could anyone explain how this occurs?
what do you mean? this is normal base catalysed bimolecular acyl hydrolysis, Bac2 mechanism. lots of base catalysed ester hydrolysis undergo similar mechanism.
Kyri
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can see how you're getting confused. You're right that hydrolysis of esters give carboxylic acids but they also give alcohols. Ester hydrolysis is the reverse of esterification which you probably know requires alcohol + carboxylic acid. If you look at the way round the ester group is you can see the carboxylic acid part (the side with the carbonyl) is ethanoic acid and the alcohol part (the side with the C-O bond) is salicylic acid.
illusionz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Step one: Attack the ester carbonyl with OH-, resulting in nucleophilic addition-elimination, kicking out the best leaving group which in this cast is Ar-O- with Ar denoting the salicylic acid minus a proton on the alcohol group
Step two: The Ar-O- picks up a proton from a molecule of water, resulting in Ar-OH
TheCount.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This thread is like another language.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (446)
37.93%
No - but I will (88)
7.48%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.8%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (562)
47.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise