If a tree falls in the wood..... Watch

TheCurlyHairedDude
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
If tree falls in the woods but you can't hear or see it falling, did it actually fall? A girl asked me this and my reply was....

Well of course, because if I go back their the tree will be lying on the floor... I don't get the argument here?

Someone explain to me?

Because if the tree falls it falls, no one has to see it..... Just like we know theirs wind, we can't see it though can we...
Perky perks
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
did it fall?? or did it crash?? or was it knocked over?? who knows cause no one was there!!
Shippy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is an odd one.... Maybe she got it mixed up with "if a tree falls in a forest and no one hears it, does it make a sound"
BackDoorEntry
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Perky perks)
did it fall?? or did it crash?? or was it knocked over?? who knows cause no one was there!!
Either way it fell!
Sayings aren't mathematical proofs, they are just phrases parents use to seem all old n wise lol.
edd360
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
inb4 schrodingers cat
Steevee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well if we take all the evidence on tree's falling and correlate it. Then the overwhelming conclusion would be yes.

Also this is one of those things that people say to seem deep, but you know they're as shallow as a shower.
Broderss
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ask her if her daddy touches her at night, and no one tells her it's wrong, does she still get molested?
theths
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
If tree falls in the woods but you can't hear or see it falling, did it actually fall? A girl asked me this and my reply was....

Well of course, because if I go back their the tree will be lying on the floor... I don't get the argument here?

Someone explain to me?

Because if the tree falls it falls, no one has to see it..... Just like we know theirs wind, we can't see it though can we...
i guess maybe assuming you can't actually go and check it fell?
because then you wouldn't know it had fallen so in your mind it might as well still be standing
Perky perks
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
...isn't it meant to be if a tree falls over and no one sees it then is someone still meant to say timber or something like that??
hockeyjoe
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by edd360)
inb4 schrodingers cat
mother****er, this happens to me every time
Tabers
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Shippy)
This is an odd one.... Maybe she got it mixed up with "if a tree falls in a forest and no one hears it, does it make a sound"
This...it was on the QI best of episode last night so this might be it.
Broderss
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Anyway you'll never know until you actually go see it, but does it only fall when you see it fell?
TheCurlyHairedDude
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Broderss)
Anyway you'll never know until you actually go see it, but does it only fall when you see it fell?
Nope, I can get someone to call me up....
cathlye
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)

Someone explain to me?

it sounds like some philosophy topic to me~~
Dan3va
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
a better question is

"if a tree falls in the wood and no one is there to hears it, who gives a ****"
konvictz0007
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
get your assumptions right first, then prove.

strictly speaking, yes the does fall, because first you have made the assumption. and on that assumption you can safely say when the tree makes contact with the ground, sound waves are produced, whether it reaches a human's ear is a different matter.

if you want to leave it open, you would say we are not sure whether we heard the sound of a tree falling or not, from that you cannot exactly say if the tree fell or not.
jthlm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Shippy)
yeah they probably meant this. to which i'd say it definitely would still make a sound, even if there was no one around to hear it.
Josh_Dey
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
"if a tree falls in a forest and no one hears it, does it make a sound"

... No, but the squirrel that it lands on will...

this is the LOL,

Pn94
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, it transfigured.
Faustus Fotherby
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hockeyjoe)
mother****er, this happens to me every time
It also doesn't happen to you everytime
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (380)
37.33%
No - but I will (78)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (71)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (489)
48.04%

Watched Threads