The Student Room Group

Won't make the points to do a photography course :(

I’ve received an offer from Falmouth to do Fashion photography which I was absolutely thrilled about. However my offer was conditional and I need 220 UCAS points. The problem is Falmouth are asking for only A2levels to be included in the points which I won’t get because I’m only doing two Alevels and 2 ASlevels. If they allowed me to include my AS levels then it wouldn’t be a problem and I would easily achieve the points, however I’m expected a C and a B which would only bring me to 180 if I could only use my Alevels. Any thoughts on this? I'm desperate to go there and I just feel its such a shame since I was one of the 25 chosen out of hundreds of applications. They have seen my photography and my work so I just don’t see why they need me to get these points. :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have a feeling the conditions of your offer will in fact say "220 points from at least two A-levels or equivalent" or "including two full A-levels". What do the conditions of your offer actually say on UCAS?
if its or equivalent then your 2 as levels will make up an A level in their books
Reply 3
Well I emailed them and I've just had this back -

"The minimum number of 220 UCAS Tariff points is for all applicants to University College Falmouth and these need to come from A2 level. If you have any other level 3 qualifications these will also have a value in UCAS Tariff points, eg Foundation Diploma in Art & Design, BTEC National Diploma or anything you can think of that’s equivalent to A level."

Now im really confused :s-smilie: I'd of thought two AS grades would be the equivalent to an A level right?
Reply 4
and my offer says this -

"This offer is subject to you obtaining 220 UCAS Tariff points at A (A2) level, excluding Key Skills
and General Studies."
Reply 5
you could just work hard to get two b's
Reply 6
thats still only 200 ucas points. :s-smilie:
Reply 7
work really hard and get an A and a B thats what i have to do but i can do it out of and of my 4 subjects
Reply 8
Yeh but I'm only doing two Alevels. I've discussed this with my teachers and I don't have enough points to get my grades up. Is two AS levels the same as one Alevel?
I'd phone them and try and talk with a person about what qualifications you're doing and which are appropriate for the course. Presumably they wouldn't have given you an offer unless you were predicted to achieve at least what they wanted for the course?

Original post by jennafifi
Yeh but I'm only doing two Alevels. I've discussed this with my teachers and I don't have enough points to get my grades up. Is two AS levels the same as one Alevel?

Sort of, in that a B at As is 50 points, and at A2 its 100 points, but As levels are not always counted, so best to phone them :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
That what I thought, it says on the course entry requirements that i need
"A minimum of 220 UCAS points, equivalent Level 3 qualifications or relevant experience."

So when I applied I just assumed ASlevels would be taken into account. I'm doing English and Media as full Alevels and I have a film Aslevel at grade B and I'm doing a photography Aslevel now and predicted an A.
I'm a bit worried they might just remove my offer :s-smilie:

no, an a-level has to be in same subject, you can't combine two AS's im afraid :/
Reply 12
Thats so annoying! It didn't say that on the site when I applied..and it still doesnt. Surely thats got to swing in my favour because on the website they said "A minimum of 220 UCAS points, equivalent Level 3 qualifications or relevant experience."

:s-smilie: oh dear. gutted :frown:
Reply 13
Isnt an AS a level three qualification...?
Reply 14
I think so..but I had a look here

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/QualificationsExplained/DG_10039017

and it doesn't mention Aslevels anywhere.. :s-smilie:
Reply 15
I’ve received an offer from Falmouth to do Fashion photography which I was absolutely thrilled about. However my offer was conditional and I need 220 UCAS points. The problem is Falmouth are asking for only A2levels to be included in the points which I won’t get because I’m only doing two Alevels and 2 ASlevels. If they allowed me to include my AS levels then it wouldn’t be a problem and I would easily achieve the points, however I’m expected a C and a B which would only bring me to 180 if I could only use my Alevels. Any thoughts on this? I'm desperate to go there and I just feel its such a shame since I was one of the 25 chosen out of hundreds of applications. They have seen my photography and my work so I just don’t see why they need me to get these points. :frown:
I'm afraid Falmouth can and clearly has specified that the 220 points must come from full A levels, so the AS levels don't count, however many of them you have. This means you need an A and a B in the two A levels you are doing to meet their offer and nail your place. Some unis will accept 2 AS levels as an alternative to a third A level but it seems Falmouth don't.

If on Results Day you haven't achieved that, and others have missed their offers too, Falmouth may take into account the AS level grades you achieved and the strength of your portfolio, and let you in anyway.

So, if you really really want to go to Falmouth and don't have an alternative offer you are happy with, you could consider putting them as your firm even if in theory you have no chance of meeting their offer. This is because any flexibility that they may be able to use on Results Day almost certainly will only benefit those choosing Falmouth as their firm. Remember though that this is a gamble, with no certainty of success.
Reply 16
I've been told to contact them once i get my results. Which isn't great as i know i wont get my grades up. Should I apply for accommodation there? don't i loose the deposit?
I've been told to contact them once i get my results. Which isn't great as i know i wont get my grades up. Should I apply for accommodation there? don't i loose the deposit?

If you apply for accommodation but don't get into the uni on results day they can't keep your deposit.

If you do meet your offer but decide not to go, they can keep your deposit.
Reply 18
i know this was last year, but i really want to know what you did in the end? im in EXACTLY the same position as you, same university.. different course. im taking two A levels and 1 AS currently, I'm desperate to go to Falmouth but i'm now really concerned I wont make it. please let me know what happened in the end! thank you x
Reply 19
Original post by beth122

Original post by beth122
i know this was last year, but i really want to know what you did in the end? im in EXACTLY the same position as you, same university.. different course. im taking two A levels and 1 AS currently, I'm desperate to go to Falmouth but i'm now really concerned I wont make it. please let me know what happened in the end! thank you x

Do you feel you can achieve an A and a B in your two A levels? If you're good enough to get into Falmouth then surely an 'A' would be achievable in the area you're going to study with them ie art or whatever? I really sympathise :frown:

Quick Reply