G20 inquest jury rules Ian Tomlinson was unlawfully killed Watch

*Darcie*
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hopefully a closer step towards justice for Mr Tomlinson and his family.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13268633
hamijack
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Personally I think the officer should now be prosecuted for manslaughter. The verdict is he was unlawfully killed by the police force and the officer who caused that should be charged.
*Darcie*
Rep:
?
(Original post by hamijack)
Personally I think the officer should now be prosecuted for manslaughter. The verdict is he was unlawfully killed by the police force and the officer who caused that should be charged.
Agreed. Hopefully the CPS will do the right thing.
efn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Would I be wrong in saying that he obviously knew what he was getting into, and should have taken a different path? No i wouldn't

case closed
*Darcie*
Rep:
?
(Original post by efn)
Would I be wrong in saying that he obviously knew what he was getting into, and should have taken a different path? No i wouldn't

case closed
In answer to your question, yes you're wrong.
silverbolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i think i will avoid this thread like the plague
*Darcie*
Rep:
?
(Original post by silverbolt)
i think i will avoid this thread like the plague
Why is that?
Aphotic Cosmos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You know that "unlawfully killed" just means "yeah, it was wrong, but nothing's going to happen", right?
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd be interested in how criminal proceedings would go. Highly doubt you would get a murder conviction.
vnupe
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I just listened to 'his statement' as read by his solicitors and it was all fluff... 'If he knew then what he knows now about Mr. Tomlinson's whereabouts and condition he would have acted differently... He is not a medical expert...' REALLY?!
aeonflux
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Good news.

I'd like to see PC Harwood charged with manslaughter, and if found guilty, the maximum prison sentence handed out. The man has shown absolutely no remorse, and an example needs to be made to show the police are not above the law.
silverbolt
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by *Darcie*)
Why is that?
Because if anyone dares say anything other than "lets hang the police" they will be butchered for it.

You guys have fun.
el scampio
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hang the bent pig who murdered Tomlinson.

Also, justice for Smiley Culture, the British reggae superstar who was butchered to death by the Metropolitan police, who brutally stabbed him in the heart over, & over & over again whilst his 5 year old son looked on.
Stray_talk
Report 7 years ago
Because if anyone dares say anything other than "lets hang the police" they will be butchered for it.

You guys have fun.
Agreed. This was the actions of one police officer.
*Darcie*
Rep:
?

You guys have fun.
Fair enough. I didn't create this thread to police bash though. I am supportive of our police force. What I don't support however, is the unlawful slaying of a man who was posing no threat whatsoever.
silverbolt
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by *Darcie*)
Fair enough. I didn't create this thread to police bash though. I am supportive of our police force. What I don't support however, is the unlawful slaying of a man who was posing no threat whatsoever.
Good luck with that
stevenhenshall
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thing is, if a normal person were to 'push someone' so much so that it resulted in someones death, I would guarantee you that the police would hound that person and lobby the local community that a manslaughter verdict would be the only reasonable outcome.

But as soon as the police become the perpetrators they all bash on about how much of a tragic accident it was without even beginning to apologize for it.

Double standards or what?
WelshBluebird
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Good. It is clear that this is the right judgment. Just wish it could have been made earlier and with a criminal conviction.

However, it is important that people don't tar all the police with the same brush with this. Even as someone who is generally sceptical of the police, most of them are there to do good.

(Original post by vnupe)
I just listened to 'his statement' as read by his solicitors and it was all fluff... 'If he knew then what he knows now about Mr. Tomlinson's whereabouts and condition he would have acted differently... He is not a medical expert...' REALLY?!
Nice to know the police can be ignorant of the law.
Not knowing about a persons condition does not lift any responsibility from the person who cases their death.

(Original post by stevenhenshall)
Thing is, if a normal person were to 'push someone' so much so that it resulted in someones death, I would guarantee you that the police would hound that person and lobby the local community that a manslaughter verdict would be the only reasonable outcome.

But as soon as the police become the perpetrators they all bash on about how much of a tragic accident it was without even beginning to apologize for it.

Double standards or what?
This.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (302)
37.47%
No - but I will (61)
7.57%
No - I don't want to (60)
7.44%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (383)
47.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed