Paying back maintenance grant Watch

deadlikeme
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Okay, long story short, I'm assured to fail my third year for reasons I won't go into, and am not interested in repeating, because of this I stopped attending a while back and was intending to quit. Now, I've found out I won't be entitled to the maintenance grants from my date of last attendance, which is much further back than the date I actually decided to quit, and I can't afford to pay any of that back. So my question is: if I change my mind about quitting and attend the last few weeks of term with no hope of passing, will I be able to avoid having to paying the grants back?
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, because the grant is awarded for the whole year to September, not just the end of term.
deadlikeme
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Being in my last year, I didn't think that applied... Even if it does, my point is that I've been absent for a few months now, and was going to go ahead and quit. I rang up SF to enquire about starting a different course in Sept, and I said I had already quit, referring to the date I last attended, but I haven't officially quit with my uni because I wanted to find out about financing for another course first. This is when I found out I would have to pay my maintenance grants back. I can't do that, so I'm considering finishing my course (even though I know I won't achieve a passing grade), since as far as my uni is concerned I'm still a student there. So if I forget about quitting can I avoid paying it back? Especially considering I told the person at SF I had already quit (to avoid having to explain personal issues to some random stranger).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (129)
38.62%
No - but I will (19)
5.69%
No - I don't want to (25)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (161)
48.2%

Watched Threads