The Student Room Group

Questions about a-levels for japanese studies students

Hi i'm currently in 1st year sixth form and i am considering taking japanese at university however i was wondering if you have to have any specific a-levels to take the suject. I've looked at universities but they don't say they require any specific a level. I do have a GCSE in a foreign language which is the only thing they say you need.

So i just wanted to know if i'd be at a disadvantage as none of my subjects are the norm e.g. english etc... ?
Reply 1
Original post by MyNeighbourTotoro
Hi i'm currently in 1st year sixth form and i am considering taking japanese at university however i was wondering if you have to have any specific a-levels to take the suject. I've looked at universities but they don't say they require any specific a level. I do have a GCSE in a foreign language which is the only thing they say you need.

So i just wanted to know if i'd be at a disadvantage as none of my subjects are the norm e.g. english etc... ?

What are your subjects?

So long as you're doing at least one arts subject at A Level, and have an A-C GCSE foreign language (this is a mandatory requirement for any subject at Edinburgh, if you're applying there) it won't matter what else you do.
Reply 2

I recieved an offer to study Japanese and History from Sheffield and SOAS and my subjects are:

AS - Biology
A2 - Physics, History, English Literature
AQA EPQ

My only foreign language was GCSE French which I got a C in. For specific grades, I think that Manchester requests at least a B in foreign language at GCSE.

What do you mean by 'not the norm'?
Hi thanks for replying my a levels are in physics, maths, business and computing and i have a B in gcse for french. By the "norm" i meant that they are subjects that are more logical like about using equations not subjects that include writing essays.

In terms of universities i was looking at universities like manchester and sheffield rather than edinburgh.
Do you think these subjects are ok as they aren't arts subjects?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Pedrobear
What are your subjects?

So long as you're doing at least one arts subject at A Level, and have an A-C GCSE foreign language (this is a mandatory requirement for any subject at Edinburgh, if you're applying there) it won't matter what else you do.

Hi thanks for answering :smile: so i just wanted to clarify is it necessary to have an arts subject at a level because my subjects are phyics, maths, business and computing? I'm assuming that you take japanese(?) do you know any people in your year that don't have an arts a level but got accepted?
Reply 5
Hi thanks for answering :smile: so i just wanted to clarify is it necessary to have an arts subject at a level because my subjects are phyics, maths, business and computing? I'm assuming that you take japanese(?) do you know any people in your year that don't have an arts a level but got accepted?

The only definitive answer you'll get is from the universities themselves. Go email them all now and see what they think.

I do know someone who did science A Levels and got offers for all his Japanese apps (including Manchester and SOAS), but he was doing French as well (along with Maths and Physics). I would be tempted to say that honestly, you'd have been better to do at least one arts subject, but like I said, the only people who can tell you for sure are the unis, so get mailin' boy.
Original post by Pedrobear
The only definitive answer you'll get is from the universities themselves. Go email them all now and see what they think.

I do know someone who did science A Levels and got offers for all his Japanese apps (including Manchester and SOAS), but he was doing French as well (along with Maths and Physics). I would be tempted to say that honestly, you'd have been better to do at least one arts subject, but like I said, the only people who can tell you for sure are the unis, so get mailin' boy.

Thanks very much i wish i'd thought more carefully now when choosing my a levels :colondollar: i'll email the universities to find out thanks for the advise. Also, i'm a girl :smile:
Reply 7
Thanks very much i wish i'd thought more carefully now when choosing my a levels :colondollar: i'll email the universities to find out thanks for the advise. Also, i'm a girl :smile:

Oops, sorry for not replying, I was going to but forgot :colondollar:

I think considering what the course consists of, a more essay based subject would be useful. Like Pedro says, you should mail the admissions people to see what they think. However, I don't think that you're at a massive disadvantage.

I think there's some key questions you should adress in your personal statement next year including:

What is it that drew you to consider a Japanese degree? What sort of interests do you have in relation to Japan? Do you do anything in your own time like read Japanese literature, take language classes outside of school etc.?

If you feel that you're at a disadvantage, then you should create a PS that highly stresses your interest in Japanese. I had a similar problem when considering my application because as far as language qualifications go, I only had a C in GCSE French. If you would like, I can PM you my PS. (I didn't apply to Manchester, but I got offers from Sheffield and SOAS)

If you really want to apply to Japanese, feel that you're being held back without arts subjects and don't mind some extra work, you could consider asking your school if you can take an AS in something like History or English next year.
AND/OR
If your school offers the EPQ, you can also do that and center your topic on something Japanese. I myself did a short story project in the style of haruki Murakami, but I'd probably recommend something a bit more academic :tongue: The great thing about it is that you can talk about it in your PS.

Hope that was helpful, if you have any extra questions ask away. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Susant
Oops, sorry for not replying, I was going to but forgot :colondollar:

I think considering what the course consists of, a more essay based subject would be useful. Like Pedro says, you should mail the admissions people to see what they think. However, I don't think that you're at a massive disadvantage.

I think there's some key questions you should adress in your personal statement next year including:

What is it that drew you to consider a Japanese degree? What sort of interests do you have in relation to Japan? Do you do anything in your own time like read Japanese literature, take language classes outside of school etc.?

If you feel that you're at a disadvantage, then you should create a PS that highly stresses your interest in Japanese. I had a similar problem when considering my application because as far as language qualifications go, I only had a C in GCSE French. If you would like, I can PM you my PS. (I didn't apply to Manchester, but I got offers from Sheffield and SOAS)

If you really want to apply to Japanese, feel that you're being held back without arts subjects and don't mind some extra work, you could consider asking your school if you can take an AS in something like History or English next year.
AND/OR
If your school offers the EPQ, you can also do that and center your topic on something Japanese. I myself did a short story project in the style of haruki Murakami, but I'd probably recommend something a bit more academic :tongue: The great thing about it is that you can talk about it in your PS.

Hope that was helpful, if you have any extra questions ask away. :biggrin:

Thank you so much your reply was very helpful. :biggrin: I now feel less worried about being at a possible disadvantage i will look into doing an as level next year.Also, i would be very thankful if you could PM me your PS. Well done on your offers and hope you enjoy the course :smile:
Reply 9
Thank you so much your reply was very helpful. :biggrin: I now feel less worried about being at a possible disadvantage i will look into doing an as level next year.Also, i would be very thankful if you could PM me your PS. Well done on your offers and hope you enjoy the course :smile:

No problem, I hope everything works out for you. Maybe I'll be your senpai if you decide to come to Sheffield :lol:

PM sent

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending