Doctor: What do you want me to do? Watch

theonelink
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Ok so I went to the Doctors a week ago with a skin problem (made a thread describing it). After sitting down and describing my problem, How **** I feel all the time and how its effecting my life, the doctor's response was 'what do you want me to do?'. What an absolute ****. Your the doctor ffs...whats more I found out today he also misdiagnosed me and gave me treatment which has made my condition considerably worse.

I don't know if he was having a bad day or something, but I thought 'what do you want me to do' was a bit uncalled for. His whole attitude in general was ****. I feel as though I should maybe have made a complaint? Am I overreacting?
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Go to him and tell him about the misdiagnosis / treatment and how it's worsened your condition. Hopefully he'll do something about it then

Good luck
Dekota-XS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've had a similar experience with a GP of late, I reported him to the GMC board and because he was an expat GP who'd just relocated from Sri Lanka, he was finding it hard to get accustomed over here, the GMC have since disqualified his medical license. Then register with a new GP.
hxecute
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My doctor didn't diagnose me with TB, even though my mum and grandmother had it in the past 6 months...
Even after I said I was getting chest pains, and that I was coughing A LOT, he didn't believe me until I actually coughed blood on his floor.
He finally gave me an appointment with a clinic. And I had to clean the blood off the floor -.-
Rzc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So many hypochondriacs these days that's why!
briesandwich
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
When my Mum was 6 months pregnant with my younger brother, she started getting really bad lower abdominal pains in the morning and saw our gp. He said she had a stomach bug and the baby was fine, and that she should rest.

Regardless, my Mum went to work but was in too much pain and had to come back home.

Later that evening my brother was born. Turns out she was having contractions all day..
theonelink
Rep:
?
My dad went to see the same Doctor I saw complaining of stomach ache. The guy said it was probably nothing, week later my dad gets a letter saying hes to go get a camera up his rear to inspect his bowels...so much for it being nothing. I swear the guy is such a ****
I'm_Unsafe.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just get a new GP, it's not worth the hassle of sticking with someone who's not interested in your welfare.
Cappuccinoes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't think you're overreacting at all. You don't ever say that to a patient, regardless of whether or not you're having a bad day, and you especially don't say it when someone has a visible skin condition that's upsetting them. The fact that he's also given you treatment which has made your condition even worse just tops it off -_-
MXz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
http://www.gmc-uk.org/concerns/making_a_complaint.asp
theonelink
Rep:
?
Would he know it was me who complained?
MXz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by theonelink)
Would he know it was me who complained?
No idea mate.

I've been in this sort of situation before where the doctor couldn't care less and just spoke to me like I was wasting his bloody time. I just said it straight there and then, I didn't like his diagnosis or attitude and that I wanted to see my own doctor as soon as she comes back from holiday.

It worked at the time, got a referral to a podiatrist after I injured my foot.
theonelink
Rep:
?
(Original post by MXz)
No idea mate.

I've been in this sort of situation before where the doctor couldn't care less and just spoke to me like I was wasting his bloody time. I just said it straight there and then, I didn't like his diagnosis or attitude and that I wanted to see my own doctor as soon as she comes back from holiday.

It worked at the time, got a referral to a podiatrist after I injured my foot.
Ok thanks for the help and link man
infernalcradle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ok thanks for the help and link man
don't think they do.....

I was also misdiagnosed.....with swine flu....despite having none of the symptoms and all of the symptoms for mumps....
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Cappuccinoes)
I don't think you're overreacting at all. You don't ever say that to a patient, regardless of whether or not you're having a bad day, and you especially don't say it when someone has a visible skin condition that's upsetting them. The fact that he's also given you treatment which has made your condition even worse just tops it off -_-
Erm, actually sometimes you do, and it can be a really useful question, it depends on what your tone is.

Obviously it didn't go down well on this occasion, but often if there are a number of treatment/investigation options and the GP doesn't have too much of a preference for which path they go down, getting the patient involved in the decision-making process is really helpful and improves your chances that they will take their medicine/show up for tests etc.
Lordmwa
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As a 1st year medical student i can tell you we are very quickly drilled into getting to know what the patient wants.

Nowadays with the level of information on the interenet patients almost always come to the doctor having already diagnosed themselves and they only come to get whatever treatment/drug they think the need.

I can understand that this may have come across wrong maybe due to a bad choice of words but it is a fairly standard part of a gp consultation now. Best response would be the truth

Tell them what you want them to do, be this general like work out what it is or specific like give me xxxx.

Im not defeding this guy and so if you feel it was poor professionalism then go ahead and make a complaint. Im 90% sure complaits can be or always are anonymous
Cappuccinoes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Erm, actually sometimes you do, and it can be a really useful question, it depends on what your tone is.

Obviously it didn't go down well on this occasion, but often if there are a number of treatment/investigation options and the GP doesn't have too much of a preference for which path they go down, getting the patient involved in the decision-making process is really helpful and improves your chances that they will take their medicine/show up for tests etc.
Sorry, I should’ve been clearer there. From what the OP has told us, it seems like his GP asked the question in quite an insensitive way. That's what I was disagreeing with specifically.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 7 years ago
My dad went to see the same Doctor I saw complaining of stomach ache. The guy said it was probably nothing, week later my dad gets a letter saying hes to go get a camera up his rear to inspect his bowels...so much for it being nothing. I swear the guy is such a ****
So the GP listened to your dads history, said it was probably nothing, but just to be safe he ordered a test to rule out bowel cancer - likely because your dad had some red flag signs. Most referrals for the 'camera' turn out to be normal or something minor. afew are cancer.

So what should the GP have done
a) Not sent for the camera test
b) Told your dad he might have cancer - and scared the hell out of him
c) Told him it is likely nothing but they will do some tests to be sure. (as undoubtably happened)
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Cappuccinoes)
1) Dermatology is notoriously difficult. Often takes a few different treatments to find the one that will work.

2) I always start off by asking patients what in particular they want and don't want. Its their body and if they are coming in with a set idea of what they want and I know it wont work it helps them if I debunk their request.
StressReliever
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
File a complaint and make an appoint to see another doctor. That one sounds like a complete quack tbh.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (213)
39.3%
No - but I will (38)
7.01%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.64%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (255)
47.05%

Watched Threads