Indian applicant (CBSE) and UK universities (help) Watch

shubham.argie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,
This is my first post here on Student Room. Earlier I tried College Confidential but seems like that site is more USA oriented.
Anyways, I am (as the title says) an Indian applicant who just finished with his 12th in CBSE. I applied to 8 universities in the US for a degree in Computer Science and sadly got rejected in 7 of the 8. Even my backup rejected me. Was quite a shock really.
The only option I have is the University of Illinois Urbana, which I am not very keen on as I got Division of General Studies and not Engineering.

Because I am running out of options at the moment, I am applying to UK now.
I scored a 89.9% in my 10th (ICSE) and I'm expecting a 90% in my 12th (CBSE).
I scored a 112 in the internet based TOEFL.

The universities I thought of applying to are:

University of Manchester
University of Edinburgh
King's College London (University of London)
University of Southampton
University of Bristol/University of York

Because I'm applying now, and not like many applicants who do it in January, I have been told by people that there may be an issue with availability of seats. The colleges I mentioned state that the requirement for CBSE is 85% in most cases. Because all universities wait for the CBSE scores (which are due late may) I thought me applying late shouldn't make a lot of difference. If somebody could throw light on that it'll be great !

Also I don't want to face the same situation that I did with the US universities, so keeping in mind my grades, please suggest all that you may want to, be it selection of universities, my chances of getting admitted, my chances of getting a scholarship or anything else.

Looking forward to all your replies.
Thanks in advance.
vampiregirl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey!

First of all, relax.
I know SO many people who applied AFTER they gave their Boards and still got seats in universities of their choice.
You're right on time.
You'll get a positive from at least one of them.
Which of the 5 is your 1st priority?

I'm from India too. Chennai.
Taking a gap year and loving it.
I'll be joining this year. Will be doing Business Management at Queen Mary.

I hope it works out for you!
Good luck.
CHEETS
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by shubham.argie)
Hi,

University of Manchester
University of Edinburgh

Thanks in advance.
You have a fair chance of getting in to all of these...remember that computer science is normally not a very highly demanded course in any of these universities (or in the UK in general), so there will be many places left on clearing and extra even though you are applying so late. In addition, you are an international student and will be paying international fees and that is an advantage in your favour in the eyes of the admissions committee

As for your grades, my boyfriend graduated from Kings last year and he was granted admission on the basis of his CBSE 12th marks, and he actually scored less than you in both 10th and 12th....he was also given offers by Imperial and Southhampton

That said, U of Illinois at Urbana-Champagne is an excellent university so dont rule it out...indian students are very often pressured into doing computer science even thought have absolutely know knowledge/interest int he field...consider doing the general studies course at UoI, you will have a chance to explore your options and will only come out better for it...

Also, India is by far one of the best (and cheapest) destinations to pursue Comp Sci, why so desperate to do it abroad ?

Hope this helps and good luck
shubham.argie
Rep:
?
I want to do game programming. So that's why the rush abroad. I really wanted US but thing din't quite turn out as I hoped for. And my chances in India are pretty bleak to be honest. I just gave my AIEEE and I am expecting a rank of 40-50k, which i believe sucks. I never prepared seriously for JEE. The only thing I have left on my plate is BITS. I'm preparing for that. If I make it through bits then I will stay in India, otherwise Uk. Advise me on this as well. What should I do ?
CHEETS
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I want to do game programming. So that's why the rush abroad.

In terms of the UK, with your marks, you might have a chance of getting in to Imperal...so give that a shot. I wouldn't recommend the UK as a location for engineering though, the job market is incredibly narrow, and what with all the immigration restrictions placed on foreign students, its not a good option. I have way too many friends who chose to come here for B.Eng and are regretting it.

If you must go abroad, definitely consider the campus in Dubai. Its very easy to get in and has state of the art facilites. Singapore is also an excellent destination for engineering, and it is very popular among Indians.

If you dont mind me asking, where else did you apply in the US ?
shubham.argie
Rep:
?
I am in fact staying in Singapore. I applied to NTU and NUS but my chances are slim. Those who get 95% in their boards also get rejected from these Universities, so i'm not betting a lot. And the fact that I stay in Singapore does not give me any advantage in the applications.

I applied to Carnegie Mellon, Duke, UT Austin, U of Virginia, Cornell, MIT, U of Michigan and UIUC of course.
I did not want to do undergrad from any university in the US so I made my mind to apply only among the top Universities, specially considering the cost of education in the US.

So I don't get a good feeling about UK from you guys. What else could I do ? I'm freaking out to be honest.
shubham.argie
Rep:
?
(Original post by CHEETS)
If you must go abroad, definitely consider the campus in Dubai. Its very easy to get in and has state of the art facilites.
You mean BITS Dubai right ? I was just looking at its deadline, its still not passed so I can apply after my CBSE results are out. But is it good ?
CHEETS
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You mean BITS Dubai right ? I was just looking at its deadline, its still not passed so I can apply after my CBSE results are out. But is it good ?
They have really good placements, and once you actually leave school and start college, you'll realise that placements are all that really matter ...

I have a friend who's at BITS Dubai, and he likes it ... although, personally speaking, Dubai wouldnt really be my cup of tea ...

So where are you from ?
shubham.argie
Rep:
?
I am actually from India (mumbai) but I moved to Singapore last year.
Any other places you would suggest I could apply ?
alleycat393
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm Indian too but I did the International Baccalaureate before coming to the UK to study.

Your 10th and 12th grade scores look pretty good so maybe you need to work on your personal statement a bit more?

Also, how well do your referees know you and are you sure that they're writing string references for you? Scores are not everything you know-unis are looking at much more than just those.
shubham.argie
Rep:
?
References shouldn't be a problem really. My teachers will write my references in most cases and they know me well (in a good way). So that part is covered I guess.
CHEETS
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

I applied to Carnegie Mellon, Duke, UT Austin, U of Virginia, Cornell, MIT, U of Michigan and UIUC of course.
I did not want to do undergrad from any university in the US so I made my mind to apply only among the top Universities, specially considering the cost of education in the US.
If you didnt want to do your undergrad in the US, and you didnt want to do it in UK (judging by how you've applied after the admissions season has finished) and you dont want to do it in India, and its difficult to get admission in Singapore, where DID you originally plan to study ? It doesnt look like theres any option left ??

It really seems as though you have closed out all your options right from the beginning...? You must have had some plan for the future in mind ?

your best bet would be to apply to the 5 colleges in the UK that you shortlisted, you will easily get admission into at least one if not all of them...its not a great option, but its probably the only one...
shubham.argie
Rep:
?
(Original post by CHEETS)
If you didnt want to do your undergrad in the US, and you didnt want to do it in UK (judging by how you've applied after the admissions season has finished) and you dont want to do it in India, and its difficult to get admission in Singapore, where DID you originally plan to study ? It doesnt look like theres any option left ??
Lol, you are getting me wrong there. What I meant to say was I din't want to do undergrad from the US from any random university. Like for example many Indian apply to Michigan State University. When you look up on the rankings and statistics, it isn't a very great university. So I din't want to apply in universities like that. I only wanted to do my undergrad from the ones that were highly rated. And my original plan was to go to US.

I hope I've made myself clear ?
Ms_Flames
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi,
This is my first post here on Student Room. Earlier I tried College Confidential but seems like that site is more USA oriented.
Anyways, I am (as the title says) an Indian applicant who just finished with his 12th in CBSE. I applied to 8 universities in the US for a degree in Computer Science and sadly got rejected in 7 of the 8. Even my backup rejected me. Was quite a shock really.
The only option I have is the University of Illinois Urbana, which I am not very keen on as I got Division of General Studies and not Engineering.

Because I am running out of options at the moment, I am applying to UK now.
I scored a 89.9% in my 10th (ICSE) and I'm expecting a 90% in my 12th (CBSE).
I scored a 112 in the internet based TOEFL.

University of Manchester
University of Edinburgh

Because I'm applying now, and not like many applicants who do it in January, I have been told by people that there may be an issue with availability of seats. The colleges I mentioned state that the requirement for CBSE is 85% in most cases. Because all universities wait for the CBSE scores (which are due late may) I thought me applying late shouldn't make a lot of difference. If somebody could throw light on that it'll be great !

Also I don't want to face the same situation that I did with the US universities, so keeping in mind my grades, please suggest all that you may want to, be it selection of universities, my chances of getting admitted, my chances of getting a scholarship or anything else.

Thanks in advance.
May I ask what kind of engineering are you exactly interested in?
*Hip-Hop*
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well your scores are very good.

I did CBSE as well in Kuwait (Arab Country). Got 70% in 10th and expecting 65%-70% in 12th.

Why dont you apply for engineering (for all engineering subject)/science (for computer science) with a foundation year at University of Manchester?

I got an unconditional offer with so low grades. Why not give it a try?

Plus Computer Science in UK is 3 years so with foundation year its 4 years which is same as undergrad in USA.

I am assuming your SAT scores were low for American universities. Because I know a guy who got into UT Austin with 76% in 10th and 71% in 12th and 1900 in SAT
krish25
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey i have got like 88 in my CBSE 12th and would like to apply for medicine at University College London hope thats fine??
Could any1 lease give me advice if the universities in UK accept CBSE results for entry into their universities.

Thanks
rtce
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have an almost similar percentage in ISC bt my English marks are drastically low ( 69%) . Will i stand a chance in getting admitted to top universities in UK like Imperial College London . Are there any individual subject cutoffs for entry in these universities or only the average score matters ? Please help me with this ..
rtce
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have an almost similar percentage in ISC bt my English marks are drastically low ( 69%) . Will i stand a chance in getting admitted to top universities in UK like Imperial College London . Are there any individual subject cutoffs for entry in these universities or only the average score matters ? Please help me with this ..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (368)
37.32%
No - but I will (74)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (69)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (475)
48.17%

Watched Threads