I Don't Know My Own Name Watch

lilyrawstorne
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Basically the surname on my birth certificate is Rawstorne-Hannigan but on all my school records, bank details and even my passport it's just Hannigan.I much prefer Rawstorne or at least the double barrel.
If I just started writing Rawstorne-Hannigan on everything I sign/apply for like University, Jobs etc. what would happen, do I need to change it legally if it's already on my birth certificate.
Bit of a strange question but I don't know who else to ask ...
edd360
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm in the same position. On my passport and driving license it's just my dad's surname, but all my time at school and even now at uni its the double-barrel one. I normally just use my dads surname as that's actually what it is, but both my sisters surname is the double-barrel so technically I have a different surname to my sisters lol. But I'm not sure about your case what with the birth certificate at all, but at the end of the day I guess it's whatever you want it to be, however you class it. A name is just a name, a way to address you, it's not something like definitive from when you were born, you get me...
cantstop-x
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If it's on your birth certificate as double barrelled, then I don't think anything legal is required
Vohamanah
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have a double barrelled first name, and just go by the first bit =) You don't ned to change anything legally, but you might wanna mention to your bank, doctor etc that you are also known by a different name, so they can put it on your records.
Turnerf
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
just name yourself fred.
Drunk Punx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Keep it as Rawstorne, that's a beasty surname. Very Viking-esque.
it'smelaura
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was expecting some sort of dramatic retelling of the tragic accident that left you with amnesia, thanks OP!
kat2pult
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have a double barrelled first name on my birth certificate, and I only have the first part on my passport, my bank details, exam certificates, everything. I don't think they're legal :O

You can legally write your double barrelled name if it's in your birth certificate.
riotgrrl
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by it'smelaura)
I was expecting some sort of dramatic retelling of the tragic accident that left you with amnesia, thanks OP!
Ditto. Bit disappointed really.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39.11%
No - but I will (46)
6.81%
No - I don't want to (50)
7.41%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (315)
46.67%

Watched Threads