Goal-Line Technology.. Watch

Vintage
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Why are they testing so many different ways to introduce goal-line tech when they can just use the exact same system that's used in Ice Hockey?

:confused::confused::confused::confused:
thegiantinfinity
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Good point.

I defenitly think that technology will eventually be introduced because people keep on talking about the need to introduce technology all the time. If people keep talking about the same subject over and over and over then there's an obvious need for it in the game and its only a matter a time before its introduced.
ilovedubstep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah just a simple hawkeye type thing that says whether or not the ball is past the line is good enough. Offsides and penalties, I don't mind in the ref messes up. As long as when the ball has gone into the goal, it is given.
Hedger
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Every fair and sane person wants it, everyone is talking about it and with all of the news coverage in recent times, it's a shock it's not here yet. Something tells me FIFA will create such a huge, lengthy and bureaucratic mess, that I don't think I even want it anymore. It'll end up having to be sent to every team in the world, every player, 500 consultations and probably a vote to which there will be more bribery allegations. It's such a crock of ****. FIFA make so much money and yet they can't hire decent individuals. We get scum like that rat-prick Sepp Blatter.
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Controversial goal line decisions are quite rare - in the PL, does it even occur more than once a month?! This is why it's a pointless debate.

Video replays are what's needed, which would also correct goal line errors. Nearly every game has some form of controversial decision.
Louis.
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Fusion)
Controversial goal line decisions are quite rare - in the PL, does it even occur more than once a month?! This is why it's a pointless debate.

Video replays are what's needed, which would also correct goal line errors. Nearly every game has some form of controversial decision.
Considering Spurs' CL hopes were extinguished and one side has been hauled back into the title race thanks, in part, to a mistake of that nature I wouldn't say it's pointless.

It's an issue that has unanimous support. Video replays don't have that yet, it's a different debate over whether correcting all kinds of mistakes is worth slowing the game down. I'd say that it probably is, but I think there is still opposition to that and the debate is still needed.
Fusion
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Louis.)
Considering Spurs' CL hopes were extinguished and one side has been hauled back into the title race thanks, in part, to a mistake of that nature I wouldn't say it's pointless.

Firstly, the league is decided over nine months from August-May, with each club playing 38 fixtures; a point earnt/lost is the same whether at the start, or at the end of season. So Lampard's goal was no more decisive in the title/cl race than a wrong offside decision in favour of Spurs was, or a stonewall pentalty denied to Chelsea earlier in the season.........you undertsand?

Back to topic, the rarity does void the arguement, imo.
lonelykatana
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It would be incredibly easy to implement. There are many, very simple, ways of doing it.

Failing all of them, replays take less time than it takes to finish arguing over if the ball went in or not and actual restart play from the centre.
There is no excuse for it not being used, at all!
jklmn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Indeed, the ice hockey goal system would be so easy to implement with football, and also, surely all players could be mapped out on a computer (very easily) and offsides could also be 100% accurate all the time too.

The 'rarity voids the arguement' arguement stance is ridiculous IMO. Almost every week just in the Premiership wrong decisions that could be easily erased with technolighy would be erased, it is hardly a rarity tbh. If the Chelsea goals were rightly not given in just one game in this past weekend, than the title & 4th place race would be looking very different right now.
JK.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Fusion)
Firstly, the league is decided over nine months from August-May, with each club playing 38 fixtures; a point earnt/lost is the same whether at the start, or at the end of season. So Lampard's goal was no more decisive in the title/cl race than a wrong offside decision in favour of Spurs was, or a stonewall pentalty denied to Chelsea earlier in the season.........you undertsand?

Back to topic, the rarity does void the arguement, imo.
So because mistakes with goal line decisions aren't the only mistakes in the game we shouldn't try to eradicate them?

If it's a simple case of an extra official watching a replay then communicating it to the ref there'd be no issue with breaking the flow of the play etc and it'd help stop decisions like the one at the weekend. Not that it really matters, you're also overstating the rarity of such decisions as well, just because it's the ones in big games that are most talked about, they're not the only ones.
Fusion
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JK.)
So because mistakes with goal line decisions aren't the only mistakes in the game we shouldn't try to eradicate them?

If it's a simple case of an extra official watching a replay then communicating it to the ref there'd be no issue with breaking the flow of the play etc and it'd help stop decisions like the one at the weekend. Not that it really matters, you're also overstating the rarity of such decisions as well, just because it's the ones in big games that are most talked about, they're not the only ones.
Well, usually some form of CBA will be performed, in which case I can't see how it'd be viable, given the incidence of goal line controversies.

Like I say, video replays is a MUST.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Waste of money, either introduce video refereeing or dont bother wasting money/time on a half arsed effort which will only be used once in like a few hundred if not thousand games.
Jim-ie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Bent 'arry is just bum hurt
Vintage
Rep:
?
For all these people that say it all evens itself out. It doesn't.

Also with the money involved in football nowadays there needs to be 100% clarification in the big decisions.
Fusion
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Who ever says it "evens itself out" needs to be shot for the good of common sense. :lockstock:

Come season end, some teams will have a net gain, others may break-even, and some will have a net loss.
Vintage
Rep:
?
I remember a newspaper used to run a league table where the big decisions that involved goals/penalty shouts were totted up and they made a league table of what should have been. Alot were the same. But some teams had lost points some gained.

Then again they said it couldn't be reliable because if a team had a goal incorrectly ruled offside in the first minute. But lost 0-3 they'd only make it 1-3. Where if that team had scored first. they might have won it. etc etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (228)
39.31%
No - but I will (40)
6.9%
No - I don't want to (41)
7.07%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (271)
46.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise