The Student Room Group

TSR LOST society!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3940
a little disappointing...
sbarrie2
The island is the source of all life, death and rebirth

And the other universe was purgatory......can you connect them for me please..
Spoiler alert:

The ending was that they were not all dead on the island but that the island was normal life and the flash sideways was afterlife. They survived the plane crash. They survived everything else that happened on the island (well some of them anyway, we did lose Boone, Shannon, Charlie, etc along the way). Jack clearly died at the end of the finale from the wounds he sustained with his battle with the Man in Black. We know this because he has the scars to show for it in the "flash-sideways." The others who escaped on Ajira survived, or at least for a while. As Christian Shepard said, we all die sooner or later. Kate, Miles, and Sawyer died later on in the course of their own lives, how and when is irrelevant. Hurley and Ben went on to serve as guardians of the island and were probably the last to die, hundreds if not thousands of years later. Remember, time doesn't exist in the afterlife as Christian Shepard explains to Jack so that would explain why everyone was together at the same time. Everyone dies sooner or later, and when they did, they came to that world (flash sideways). The island was life, not purgatory (a theory that has been officially debunked for ages now, so let's stop throwing that around), and the flash-sideways was the afterlife. Simple as that. Mostly.
Svenjamin
I think the knife throat thing was just artistic license to show there is a definite direct link between the two worlds, and that it wasn't simply parallel dimensions or an alternate timeline. A way of making the audience question what the other world really was (as if they haven't been constantly guessing for the entire sixth season). Doubt it was meant to be thought over.

Spoiler

Not Your Usual
Spoiler alert:

The ending was that they were not all dead on the island but that the island was normal life and the flash sideways was afterlife. They survived the plane crash. They survived everything else that happened on the island (well some of them anyway, we did lose Boone, Shannon, Charlie, etc along the way). Jack clearly died at the end of the finale from the wounds he sustained with his battle with the Man in Black. We know this because he has the scars to show for it in the "flash-sideways." The others who escaped on Ajira survived, or at least for a while. As Christian Shepard said, we all die sooner or later. Kate, Miles, and Sawyer died later on in the course of their own lives, how and when is irrelevant. Hurley and Ben went on to serve as guardians of the island and were probably the last to die, hundreds if not thousands of years later. Remember, time doesn't exist in the afterlife as Christian Shepard explains to Jack so that would explain why everyone was together at the same time. Everyone dies sooner or later, and when they did, they came to that world (flash sideways). The island was life, not purgatory (a theory that has been officially debunked for ages now, so let's stop throwing that around), and the flash-sideways was the afterlife. Simple as that. Mostly.

Technically the sideways was purgatory, not the afterlife. They all needed to meet up to move onto the afterlife.
Not Your Usual
Spoiler alert:

I'll give you a rep for that :P
But you do realise that certain people, such as Ana Lucia/Richard/Eco were not there...can you explain that?
Basically Lost had a sci-fi/mythology side and a character driven side (the point of flashbacks etc). Fans of the sci-fi/mythology side are all disappointed. Fans of the character driven element are probably still in tears are rewatching it on sky +...

I am the latter...

I think after a few days people will see the bigger picture, look deeper and see the true meaning and premiss of 'LOST' instead of asking why the statue had four toes...
jakemittle
But you do realise that certain people, such as Ana Lucia/Richard/Eco were not there...can you explain that?

I think these people are the people that didn't make as much of a connection with each other.

At one point, Christian mentions that they all are here together because they went through so much together. Ana Lucia was said to be "not ready" or something by Desmond in the penultimate episode which seems that she either isn't dead or that her experiences with the Losties wasn't as good as it was with someone else. Say for example she had previously found love off the island that was greater than the experiences she went through on the island with the cast aways. It's all open to interpretation though.
jakemittle

The people who met up were the ones who had life affirming experiences with one another and needed each other to live a happy afterlife.

Eko - Didn't really have a connection to anyone. He was content with his death and had come to terms relating to his brother.

Walt - Too young to really for it to be a life affirming event. It was traumatic for him sure, but over the course of his life he probably moved on and forgot about it.

Michael - He was so obsessed about getting Walt back that he didn't care about anyone else. Chances are in his purgatory he got together with his family and that was enough for him. By the end he wanted nothing to do with anyone else on the island.

Richard - He was to Jacob what Ben was to Hurley, so chances are he met up with Jacob and the MiB in his purgatory.

Ana Lucia - Desmond did say "She's not ready yet" in the 2nd last episode.
Not Your Usual
Spoiler alert:

Surely only Hurley would be last to die.. cause Ben wasn't given any of that 'special' water to not age right?!
And even then.. when Jacob's 'mother' gave him the water,and when Jacob gave Jack the water.. they said their little jibberish words to make the water life-giving .. Jack didn't do that cause he didn't know anything for the 5 mins that he ran as Cheif lol.. so does that mean no one lives on?

I thought it was a pretty good ending in how they brought everyone back.. ahh Juliet/Saywer, Jack/Kate, Charlie/Claire, Jin/Sun, Sayid/Shannon, Rose/Bernard, Hurley/Libby.. i liked how they all partnered off :smile:

It's a shame Walt and Eko didn't come back though.. i thought Walt was supposed to be caught filming.. :frown:

But the ending was a bit poor in how nothing really was answered.. but still it was good considering I don't think Lost could realyyy wrap up.. not everyone is going to like that at all though haha...

But i am sooo sad it is actually over now.. what will become of TV?!?!
jakemittle

I can.. if someone hasn't already. Ana lucia and Eko did not play a big part in the lives of the original losties. You may say that libby was there. that was because hurley loved her and vice versa. Richard was not on flight 815 as the losties did not realy know him and bond with him. Ben is like richard but a little less so, which was why he was outside the church but not in (although they did acknowledge he was there making it clear that he had an impact on them) and penny obviously was the motivation for 99% of the things that desmond done on the island and was obviously married to des making her pretty significant.

If there was anyone else there that seems a bit odd i'd be happy to explain.

EDIT: Michael was not there as he went to the island flawed and ended up shooting ana and libby.. doubt he would be allowed into heaven (or whatever you wanna call it)
NattyNat02
Surely only Hurley would be last to die.. cause Ben wasn't given any of that 'special' water to not age right?!
And even then.. when Jacob's 'mother' gave him the water,and when Jacob gave Jack the water.. they said their little jibberish words to make the water life-giving .. Jack didn't do that cause he didn't know anything for the 5 mins that he ran as Cheif lol.. so does that mean no one lives on?

Didn't Richard say that Jacob touched him to make him immortal? Don't think drinking the water is needed for a #2, only for passing on the power of #1.
sbarrie2
Basically Lost had a sci-fi/mythology side and a character driven side (the point of flashbacks etc). Fans of the sci-fi/mythology side are all disappointed. Fans of the character driven element are probably still in tears are rewatching it on sky +...

I am the latter...

I think after a few days people will see the bigger picture, look deeper and see the true meaning and premiss of 'LOST' instead of asking why the statue had four toes...

This.

Once people get their heads around that the flash sideways was inf act afterlife, and didn't have time and didn't follow the real life (island life) timeline, I think they will like it. Basically, just think that the afterlife is many years in the future, everyone is dead (Hurley and Ben probably thousands of years later due to being protectors of the island) and Kate and co probably of old age off the island!
Svenjamin
Didn't Richard say that Jacob touched him to make him immortal? Don't think drinking the water is needed for a #2, only for passing on the power of #1.

Oh yeah.. in Alpert's episode.. thanks for clearing that up :wink:
We spent a whole season talking about the 'alt timeline' when in-fact, that place, was a place where time did not exist. "There is no now" :p:

and.. Christian-Sheppard! duuuuuuuh :facepalm:
Not Your Usual
This.

Once people get their heads around that the flash sideways was inf act afterlife, and didn't have time and didn't follow the real life (island life) timeline, I think they will like it. Basically, just think that the afterlife is many years in the future, everyone is dead (Hurley and Ben probably thousands of years later due to being protectors of the island) and Kate and co probably of old age off the island!

I agree.. i think people will warm to the ending.. how could we not? It's Lost, it was never going to be what we wanted nor expected lol.
I thought it was good.. especially how we could understand why some things were happening because of the previous eps..
And i liked the double meanings they kept throwing in.. like when Jack was about to operate on Locke and said "well i could kill you.." and when Jack said to Des "see you in another life brother.." .. It was good and i'm really going to miss it now :frown:
sbarrie2
We spent a whole season talking about the 'alt timeline' when in-fact, that place, was a place where time did not exist. "There is no now" :p:

and.. Christian-Sheppard! duuuuuuuh :facepalm:

Lol i know!! How did we not get that haha! When Kate said it I was like 'ahhhhhhhhhhh'
Lost is just too good :biggrin:
sorry for the continual stream of 'not wanting to let go posts' (pun very much intended), but for every one that's complaining about not getting answers, it just wouldnt be possible or fitting.

If you got all the answers you were asking for yesterday then you would be asking about what happened to Hurley and Ben and who protected the island after them and how it was a 'loose end'.

For anyone that watched prison break you will know that the season finale was followed by a 1 hour special ("the final break" ) showing how michael died (we found out he died in the last scene of the last episode). This was kinda crap and ruined such a powerful ending to the finale.

Lost will live on due to it's... ambiguity?
Reply 3958
hurley becoming the leader was just silly. one of the following things should've happened:

- jack makes ben the leader and goes down the cave
- ben 'does a sayid' and goes down the cave himself
Something I've been thinking about the purgatory world now we know what it is... What were they living out? Some were living out their fantasies or at least very perfect lives (Jack saving lives with experimental surgery, Sawyer being a cop) while others were pretty much doing what they were doing before the flight (Kate was still being arrested and breaking the law, Juliet was pretty doing what she did before). Seems a bit strange that there is no single pattern in how they were living their lives.

Only thing that makes sense to me is that people either carried on their lives as they were because they died on the island or fairly soon after (If Kate lived for a long time after the island why would she wake up in purgatory in handcuffs?). While others lived more of their lives (such as Sawyer and Miles being cops) and so their purgatory was what they were doing after they left the island.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending