TSR LOST society! Watch

sbarrie2
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by timreynolds)
Lol yes i did shed a tear at that part! So if kate/claire/sawyer/pilot man and miles got away on the aljiira flight, did they live a normal life back in the real world, to then die a normal death? I'm sure only people who died on the island were at the purgatory place? Also what do you reckon happend to desmond in all of this? With hurley being no.1 and ben no.2, what did desmond do?
people on the plane lived normal lives, died normal deaths and then went to purgatory.

Desmond just lived then died. That's all that matters. for me anyway.
timreynolds
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by sbarrie2)
:eek3: new theory. maybe the h-bomb didnt create the purgatory environment (the waiting room). Maybe we were just made aware of it when juliet was dying. Think about it. They detonated the h-bomb to get off the island, reset time so that the plane landed in LAX and everything was normal. If juliet, in her half dead - half alive state was experiencing the waiting room, it is likely she could of mistaken it for time being rest before 815 crashed and just had not realised it was purgatory yet.

wait.. but juliet was on the island before 815 crashed, hmmmm....

maybe a mixture of both theories that i cant put into words atm.

Haha i had to think very hard the get my head round that one!
timreynolds
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Anyone know the significance of Vincent the dog next to jack? Was that meant as a symbol of some sort?
primaverasnap
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Nah, dog means nothing. If you watched the pre-show where they interviewed the writers, you'll have seen that the writers were talking about some theories and how one of the stupid theories was that the whole story was set in the dog's mind. I imagine the dog coming out was just to poke fun.
sbarrie2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Anyone know the significance of Vincent the dog next to jack? Was that meant as a symbol of some sort?
Maybe to emphasise the human element amongst all the sci-fi and mythology.

Dog... a mans best friend.

Maybe to tip the 'almost crying' people over the edge.

Maybe just for symmetry. Everything being the same as the opening scene of the pilot episode. This makes jacks eye closing stand out more and makes it more significant.

It was just a lovely touch. dont read into it to much.
Doughnuts!!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SyrupandHoney)
Haha! I did the same thing. How did you find the finale?
I was and STILL am quite confused! Not 100% sure what the hell was going on. Had a lot of touching moments though!
sbarrie2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Doughnuts!!)
I was and STILL am quite confused! Not 100% sure what the hell was going on. Had a lot of touching moments though!
I love posting about lost so i'd be happy to answer any questions
Doughnuts!!
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I love posting about lost so i'd be happy to answer any questions
Ok, so the "flash-sideways", weren't really flash sideways, they were this so-called "afterlife" for the dead islanders?

Also, if it was an afterlife, how does that explain what happened after Kate, Sawyer and the rest escaped on the plane??

AND, if it was an afterlife, how could they not remember everything that had gone on before? Why did they all have to meet up to remember??

MY BRAIN IS CONFUSED! :eek3:
Svenjamin
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Also, if it was an afterlife, how does that explain what happened after Kate, Sawyer and the rest escaped on the plane??
It doesn't explain what happened to them, it's a mystery. I had a theory that maybe the people who died on the island or soon afterwards carried on the way they were before the flight (e.g. Jack was still a doctor) while the people who lived much longer than the events on the island lived out the things they did afterwards (e.g. Sawyer being a cop instead of a con artist).

The implications of that would be that Kate may have died soon after returning back, seeing as she was in handcuffs in the other world.

But not too sure if that theory really stands up to scrutiny. For example, why is Ben a teacher? He never was a teacher before. But maybe Ben either left the island to live a normal life once he had taught Hurley the basics, or Hurley and Ben passed on their roles without dying. Another one is why Faraday is a musician if he died on the island as a physicist?

(I know it's not much of a theory, but it's a starting point for discussion :p: )

AND, if it was an afterlife, how could they not remember everything that had gone on before? Why did they all have to meet up to remember??
Well people didn't remember they were dead in the Sixth Sense. It's never explained, but dead people not realising they're dead has been in plenty of other stories, so does it really need to be explained? There's plenty of little hints in the last few episodes without having to spell it out in an obvious way.
Svenjamin
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by areyoucool/symmetrical?)
sorry i meant why did desmond unplug it in the first place? we already knew that you shouldnt go down there from jacob
I'm guessing that's to do with faith, since Jack, Desmond and Locke's stories have all been about faith since the days of pressing buttons. Jack obviously looked disappointed when the light went out, I don't think he ever expected Desmond would go through with it or expected some intervention at the last moment.

By the end of the season jack believed in following the way and some divine intervention would come into play to stop anything bad happening like it had before. His character development since the 5th season has all been about trusting fate and letting what's going to happen happen (a transition from a man of science to a man of fate as locke puts it in one of the earlier seasons). The thing he maybe forgot was the divine intervention was usually from jacob or due to Jacob's rules. Jacob is properly dead dead dead by the last episode, so he couldn't help, and the rules change with each protector so if there was going to be any intervention it had to be from Jack. So as Desmond trusted Jack and Jack trusted something unexpected would happen to help them, they unwittingly played along to the MiB's game. Jack was effectively calling MiB's bluff (like he did with the bomb in the submarine) and lost.

But that one's pretty much up to personal interpretation. Parallels definitely need to be drawn between the hatch and that scene though, all 3 characters in a similar situation with Locke even referencing the hatch has to mean something.
sparklysparkles
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I presumed it was so that he didn't die alone after all? 'Cos after them saying "nobody dies alone", Jack couldn't really have died alone in the forest. Was a bit random, though!
rummang
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Can someone add up all the hours LOST consisted of so I know how much of my life I've wasted?
Svenjamin
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by rummang)
Can someone add up all the hours LOST consisted of so I know how much of my life I've wasted?
In this interview the writers mention the 3rd from last episode (the Jacob & MiB episode) is 119 hours into the show... so ~122hours. Probably a bit shorter since I assume that 119 hours includes ad breaks. Can't be too long until someone is sad enough to total up the exact running time from all the DVDs though.
sbarrie2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Svenjamin)
It doesn't explain what happened to them, it's a mystery. I had a theory that maybe the people who died on the island or soon afterwards carried on the way they were before the flight (e.g. Jack was still a doctor) while the people who lived much longer than the events on the island lived out the things they did afterwards (e.g. Sawyer being a cop instead of a con artist).

The implications of that would be that Kate may have died soon after returning back, seeing as she was in handcuffs in the other world.

But not too sure if that theory really stands up to scrutiny. For example, why is Ben a teacher? He never was a teacher before. But maybe Ben either left the island to live a normal life once he had taught Hurley the basics, or Hurley and Ben passed on their roles without dying. Another one is why Faraday is a musician if he died on the island as a physicist?

(I know it's not much of a theory, but it's a starting point for discussion :p: )

Well people didn't remember they were dead in the Sixth Sense. It's never explained, but dead people not realising they're dead has been in plenty of other stories, so does it really need to be explained? There's plenty of little hints in the last few episodes without having to spell it out in an obvious way.
That was a good theory btw and I was almost believing it. However, it falls down when you look at jin and sun. Before the crash they were on 815 for a business trip (the business being the one owned by Mr Paik, suns father. Jin was loyal to Mr Paik). In the Alt, they are running away from suns father instead of working for him.

And you know that everyone in the alt has died sometime in the real world (on or off island) right? Ben could not of 'left the island to become a teacher'. or is that a euphemism? The alt universe is not a parallel timeline with what we were seeing on the island. For one the concept of time does not exist in the alt. The alt takes place after everyone has died. Juliet died and went into the alt. In 'LAX' jack notices the cut on his neck. He gets this cut in the fight with flocke in this mornings episode. This shows that they are not parallel. btw just realised how much i have digressed and know you were not advocating for parallel timelines.

Ben never had the chance to be a teacher in the real life as he spent his years as a child on the island and could not of become Dr. Linus on the island. Farady was a very talented pianist as a child as well as physics and maybe he just chose this path. As a child he would of had no recollection of the fact that he was a physicist on the island.
sbarrie2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by rummang)
82 hours. you have wasted 0.135% of the last six years on LOST
sbarrie2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by sparklysparkles)
I presumed it was so that he didn't die alone after all? 'Cos after them saying "nobody dies alone", Jack couldn't really have died alone in the forest. Was a bit random, though!
I thought Jack always said "Live together, die alone." Can't see it as random. The scene was mirroring the opening scene of the pilot, and vincent was in that scene.
sbarrie2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ok, so the "flash-sideways", weren't really flash sideways, they were this so-called "afterlife" for the dead islanders?

Do you remember the episode in season 4 called 'The Constant'? Desmonds consciousness flicks between two different years as he has no constant (something which present in both years). To be able to acknowledge two different realities (or non-realities) at the same time you need a constant.

Well the losties act as each others constants. And, it just so happens that the constants evoke a memory of some of the strongest emotions our losties have ever experienced. This is why they want to go into the afterlife together, as they spent there best years on the island with each other.
Svenjamin
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
And you know that everyone in the alt has died sometime in the real world (on or off island) right? Ben could not of 'left the island to become a teacher'. or is that a euphemism?
He could. Richard realised he was growing old when Hurley took over from jacob (the grey hair scene), so from that we can assume that once someone has passed their role on, they will age normally again. Ben and Hurley could live for hundreds or thousands of years, pass their roles to other people and then go and live a normal life back on mainland.

But still, the theory is by no means airtight. Lots of holes, but then again there's not really much to go on.
Pickford
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Try not to think of it as an afterlife. It is a place they 'created' so that when they were all died they could meet up together and move on together. That explains why Michael & Walt weren't there as Michael left everybody to die and also shot a load of people, and nobody cares about Walt as he just left the island and did nothing.
sbarrie2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Svenjamin)
He could. Richard realised he was growing old when Hurley took over from jacob (the grey hair scene), so from that we can assume that once someone has passed their role on, they will age normally again. Ben and Hurley could live for hundreds or thousands of years, pass their roles to other people and then go and live a normal life back on mainland.

But still, the theory is by no means airtight. Lots of holes, but then again there's not really much to go on.
haha, i meant he couldnt leave and go to the alt universe or purgatory and become a teacher. To be in that universe you need to be dead.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.82%
No (661)
60.7%
Not really bothered about them (223)
20.48%

Watched Threads