The Student Room Group

TSR LOST society!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4480
Bloody hell, still remember posting in this thread when the show was on. Have started my first 'proper' rewatch, I say proper because I have rewatched the first season many times, I'm going to go through all of it this time.

Will always be my favourite, words can't describe how much I love this show, even GoT can't top it for me and I love GoT.

A huge cast of characters who all got fleshed out the perfect amount, there's no other cast of characters I like more/have felt more attached to. No doubt the storyline got a bit weird sometimes but it always stayed interesting, well for me anyway. So many mysteries and cliffhanger endings which would make you kill for the next episode. No show has matched it for me in that aspect. First show I streamed as well as I couldn't wait for the UK showing :moon:

Jack, Sawyer, Kate, Charlie, Sun, Jin, Hugo, Sayid, Locke, Claire, Boone etc etc

Loved and occasionally hated everyone of these characters, and there's bound to be more I've missed

Have just finished the first episode and it's got me proper excited to rewatch it. Also reminded me why I had a huge crush on Evangeline Lilly.

And then you have that Michael Giacchino soundtrack which brings back a whole load of other memories, beautiful.

It's still my favourite series of all time. I haven't watched it again but apparently from friends who have, they said you notice little things falling in place earlier, that it makes more sense. That's a very good sign of an excellent series which build up perfectly and evolved. Yeah it might have got slightly weird but the point is to be so good for ages is remarkable. A couple of my mates stopped after series 2 though.

The cast were great. It was truly amazing.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4482
Still probably my favourite show of all time, some programmes I may see as technically better, but nothing garnered the same excitement each week for a new episode in the same way that LOST did.

Those cliffhangers!
Reply 4483
Original post by Potential Trigger
It's still my favourite series of all time. I haven't watched it again but apparently from friends who have, they said you notice little things falling in place earlier, that it makes more sense. That's a very good sign of an excellent series which build up perfectly and evolved. Yeah it might have got slightly weird but the point is to be so good for ages is remarkable. A couple of my mates stopped after series 2 though.

The cast were great. It was truly amazing.

None of my friends like it.

Just finished the second part of the pilot and Locke is describing backgammon to Walt:

"2 players, 2 sides, one is light, one is dark" - Jacob and his brother who's name I can't remember

I can't remember as much as I thought I did so some of the foreshadowing is going to go over my head I feel. There's a few people who I know die but I can't for the life of me remember how.

Forgot how much of a dick Sawyer can be. I don't think I've ever had such a love/hate relationship with a character.

When I used to read message boards back when the show was on people didn't like Jack, he's probably my favourite character on the show, if I had to pick.

Original post by Yoghurt
Still probably my favourite show of all time, some programmes I may see as technically better, but nothing garnered the same excitement each week for a new episode in the same way that LOST did.

Those cliffhangers!

Agreed. I've never been more hooked on a TV show.

Crazy thing in the woods, polar bear, crazy French lady on a radio with a message that's been on loop for 16 years, definitely bringing back the memories :cool:
At the time I looked up all the characters because I found them all pretty awesome, even the ones with minor roles, they all just fitted in so well. You're right Evangeline Lilly was hot :wink:

Jack was good but I really liked Locke and Ben, they really came into their own later on :biggrin: Difficult to choose my favourite character, I liked most of them. Sayid was good. They all had interesting background stories, Sawyer being a con man iirc. I remember when they asked Sayid was he a marine before, he goes no an Iraqi Republican Guard and I torture lol.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4485
Original post by Potential Trigger
At the time I looked up all the characters because I found them all pretty awesome, even the ones with minor roles, they all just fitted in so well. You're right Evangeline Lilly was hot :wink:

Jack was good but I really liked Locke and Ben, they really came into their own later on :biggrin: Difficult to choose my favourite character, I liked most of them. Sayid was good. They all had interesting background stories, Sawyer being a con man iirc. I remember when they asked Sayid was he a marine before, he goes no an Iraqi Republican Guard and I torture lol.

I forgot about the nicknames Sawyer gives everyone :lol:

And Boone always trying to help :cry2:

Just finished episode , always liked this scene

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4486
Forgot how bloody depressing this show can get, half the characters have tragic back-stories and knowing the bittersweet ending , and the fact that more people die doesn't make it any better. Not that you expect them to be happy but Jack has barely cracked a smile in ages, the survivors rarely get any respite

All the depressing stuff made that episode where Hurley finds the car very welcome, great episode, and the music when they get it started is perfect. Hurley, Jin, Charlie and Sawyer are hilarious together.

Reply 4487
Finished my rewatch yesterday, loved it a much as the first time.

Will write my thoughts down later today or tomorrow (more for myself then anyone else, doubt anyone is reading :awesome:) on all the season but just a quick note about the ending, which is the reason I watched the show again. What was so confusing about it? Made sense.
Reply 4488
I'm writing this so when I rewatch it in the future I can see if my thoughts have changed.

Season 1 (9.5/10)
Near perfect season for me and it starts in the most perfect way possible, I have no idea how many times I've seen the pilot episode but it never ceases to hook me. The amount of WTF moments is great.

It also shows what Jacob means in season 6 when he's asked why they've been brought to the island. The flashbacks, though I'd agree some are boring and even pointless, give us detailed backgrounds on every main character and in the first two seasons they show us how broken each of these characters are. Jack with his dad dying/his marriage spiralling out of control, Kate having to live the last few years of her life on the run not being allowed a moments happiness, Sawyer's childhood trauma not letting him go, Sun and Jin's marriage n tatters, I could go on.

Season 2 (8.5/10)

The season of the hatch and the introduction of Ben and Desmond. Ben or Henry Gale makes this season. The way he manipulated Locke throughout the season is great and obviously I knew second time around but I remember genuinely being surprised that he turned out to be part of the Others.

First introduction to Dharma as well.

Michael and Walt probably being my biggest gripe about this season. How bloody annoying were they. This season made Michael pretty much unredeemable for me, and he didn't do anything to change that in the other seasons. The other being the numerous attempt to pander to the love triangle. Sawyer and Charlie were unlikeable as well. I think that's one of the appeals of the show though. The characters are constantly evolving and changing.

Season 3 (8/10)
The first scene of this season sets the show. Seeing where the Others live was a great way to start the season. Best things about this season for me are the developments on Jack and the introduction of Juliet.

The pandering to the love triangle was once again pretty annoying but it led to the development of Jack in this season so I can't complain, he actually became ruthless. The jack of the first season.

The weakest season for me purely due to amount of fillers it had, and this is despite it having one of my favourite episodes in Tricia Tanaka is Dead (a comedic episode which was a very welcome break due to how depressing the show is most of the time, it's one of the few and probably the last on island episode where characters are happy for a time) and my favourite finale tied with the series finale.

Through the Looking Glass is near perfection for me, some great characters moments (Jack/Hurley) and redemption for Charlie (though his dead is so avoidable, that's always annoyed me) and probably the most WTF ending of the series. It's a flashforward!

WE HAVE TO GO BACKKKKK

Season 4 (9.5/10)
Lost back to it's best, largely helped by only having 14 episodes which meant less filler and more quality. Th flashforwards were an awesome addition, thought they were depressing in content, everyone that manages to get way ends up having a ****ed up life still. After everything Jack finally gets Kate and then proceeds to lose her, Sayid loses Nadia, Hurley ends up back in the mental hospital. Everything was really well done.

Then you have the split on the island between Jack and Locke's group with both sides ultimately being a bad group to follow.

Season 5 (9/10)
Really enjoyed the premise of this season. We have all that information about in the future leaving us with all these questions about them, and what better way to answer them then to take out favourite characters back in time to explore. It was definitely the right route to go, if we had continuous flashbacks of the islands history with people we have no connection to it would have been crap.

What annoyed me though is Sawyer kept having a go at the Oceanic 6 for coming back saying there were doing completely fine...I don't get why none of them said that they came back because they were told that Sawyer and co were in danger and that they needed to come back to save them.

The season also pretty major due to the changing opinions of Jack, the beginning of him going from a man of science to a man of faith. It was sad to see that despite his best efforts in this season to try and save everyone, at this point it looked like he failed. The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham was an utterly depressing episode, Terry O'Quinn was great in it. Tries his hardest to save the island by bringing them back but everyone dismisses him, despite knowing that he needed them all didn't go to Sun because Jin asked him not to, Locke was such a sympathetic character. It's even sadder knowing that he did actually die in this episode.

The love triangle also ended in this season, which is always a plus. Juliet and Sawyer were a good combo, loved the banter between them. And I've always thought jack and Kate were the better pairing (opposites attract, their relationship throughout the seasons is pretty tragic though) so it's good to know that finished as well.

Season 6 (9/10)
Rewatching this, I can see why some people didn't like this. Those that were more interested in the mythology side of the show don;t really have much reason to like it. Some of the answers are vague and the episode were you think you're going to get loads of answers (the one showing Jacob's and MiB orgins) was so weak. The pacing of this season was great, the Jacob/MiB episode and Kate episode threw it off a bit bt there was so much happening in this season.

Personally for me though, Lost has always been about the characters and their journey, and it's what kept bringing me back to the show. As I mentioned before these characters had no purpose in life, their lives were falling apart before the Island, but by coming to the island they finally found a purpose, love, faith, friendships (it's not just them, Ben completely redeemed himself in this season). The ending is bittersweet no doubt, but considering how depressing Lost is as a series it's no surprise.

The flash sideways were also great, finally getting to see some of these characters happy for once.

I can't tell if I'm just being really biased but I don't see why people are confused by the ending, I thought it was one of the best ways they could have ended it. The last episode is very melodramatic, which I didn't mind, there were so many lines/imagery that were a throwback to previous seasons, it as awesome. The flashback you got when the people in the flashsideways remembered were also pretty heartbreaking. Probably the saddest episode of TV I've watched, so many memorable scenes.

It was obvious from the start that Jack would be the hero but I didn't see it as him being a tragic hero in a sense that in the end he gave up his life to save the island and his friends. He tries really hard through all the season to try and fix things, and help people, and when he finally manages to fix it all he has to die to make it happen and lose Kate. It was nice to see him and Christian actually have a good moment together as well.

And I think the episode showcased what I meant about all the relationships they formed, Charlie/Claire, Juliet/Sawyer, Sun/Jin (fixed), Hurley/Libby, Jack/Kate and then you had the friendships between them all, it was great to see the all together in the end.

I think the ending is pretty self explanatory, the flash sideways of this season was a place between life and death that the survivors of the plane crash created themselves so they could meet up before finally entering the afterlife and letting go so to speak. His dad mentions that there is no now (there is no concept of time in the alt place) and when jack gets told he's dead and asks if his friends are he says they are but "some of them before you and some long after you". Another point is that Hurley and Ben mention in the alternate place that they were each a good number one and number two when it came to protecting the island (they become the protectors on the same day Jack dies), so they could have been on the island for 50 or a 100 years after Jack's death. Same applies for the people that got away on the plane in the last episode. Another point is the fact that Kate mentions in the alt that she's missed Jack, which could indicate that she hasn't seen him in a while, which would support the idea that she's been off the island living her life. They couldn't remember their old memories of being on the island in the alt place until they had let go.

I'm waffling but effectively the people that died, did actually die Jack/Locke/Sun/Jin/Sayid etc and Kate/Sawyer/Lapidus/Miles/Richard/Claire survived. And when they died they were finally able to move into the alt timeline when they finally let go (not surprising that Jack was the last one to do it). The last scene was perfect, Jack ending up in the same place the series started, and then Vincent turning up so he didn't die alone (We either live together or die alone seemed apt).

Will rewatch again in a few years time and see if my mind changes on anything.
Reply 4489
Just realised this is going to be my fifth post in a row :o:

Anyway I just felt compelled to post this as I randomly came across the fact that they had a 10 year anniversary yesterday

Might have a watch at some point but from what I've read they don't really answer anything new apart from reiterate a few things. I guess it's just cool to see some of the cast together again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending