Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hugatree)
    Never heard of the British School of Brussels
    Really? I thought we were quite infamous especially of late. There were a few problem kids there last year. I guess if you didn't live around Tervuren you may not have heard the stories.

I like combining different customs that way you can get more presents/candy/money. Halloween wasn't so popular around our house but I guess with a few more English speaking families moving in it has become more widespread even in the Belgian families.

ReputationRep:
    Never heard of the British School of Brussels
    Really? I thought we were quite infamous especially of late. There were a few problem kids there last year. I guess if you didn't live around Tervuren you may not have heard the stories.

I like combining different customs that way you can get more presents/candy/money. Halloween wasn't so popular around our house but I guess with a few more English speaking families moving in it has become more widespread even in the Belgian families.

ReputationRep:
    Aww. He doesn't have an angel and a devil with him here hehe thank God. :p: You must have been so scared!
    No doubt the chocolate made up for the fear...

ReputationRep:
    Aww. He doesn't have an angel and a devil with him here hehe thank God. :p: You must have been so scared!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J Darnley)

Yeah I'm from Diepenbeek (well recently; I lived in Genk for several years before that) and haven't heard anything.

You're right about combining traditions. My mum's German so we celebrate Christmas on the 24th instead of the 25th and we celebrate Sinterklaas which she never did when she was young. Halloween IS getting bigger here yes. Not to the extent where kids go trick or treating, but nightwalks and decorations, yes.

--------------

(Original post by Manatee)
    Oooh lucky afterall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J Darnley)

Yeah I'm from Diepenbeek (well recently; I lived in Genk for several years before that) and haven't heard anything.

You're right about combining traditions. My mum's German so we celebrate Christmas on the 24th instead of the 25th and we celebrate Sinterklaas which she never did when she was young. Halloween IS getting bigger here yes. Not to the extent where kids go trick or treating, but nightwalks and decorations, yes.

--------------

(Original post by Manatee)
    Oooh lucky afterall.

ReputationRep:
    No Chocolade for mich. I'm from Germany (not German though), and I haven't had the privilege for years due to being out of Germany over 6th of Dec. Sankt Nicholaus and Knecht Ruprecht ahoi! (it is Knecht Ruprecht, isn't it?)...

ReputationRep:
    No Chocolade for mich. I'm from Germany (not German though), and I haven't had the privilege for years due to being out of Germany over 6th of Dec. Sankt Nicholaus and Knecht Ruprecht ahoi! (it is Knecht Ruprecht, isn't it?)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GengisKahn)
    Awww.

Um, knecht Ruprecht is German yes but I never really understood the stories about him - I thought he was the German Santa (like, the Christmas one).

ReputationRep:
    Awww.

Um, knecht Ruprecht is German yes but I never really understood the stories about him - I thought he was the German Santa (like, the Christmas one).

ReputationRep:
    The Knecht is like Swarze Piet (schwarzer Peter) I think. Correct me if I'm wrong. He carries a stick to beat the bad kids, whilst St. Nicholaus hands out the goodies to the good kids.

For the Bescherung on the 24th it's either der Weihnachtsmann chiefly in the north of Germany, and das Christkindl in the south.

ReputationRep:
    The Knecht is like Swarze Piet (schwarzer Peter) I think. Correct me if I'm wrong. He carries a stick to beat the bad kids, whilst St. Nicholaus hands out the goodies to the good kids.

For the Bescherung on the 24th it's either der Weihnachtsmann chiefly in the north of Germany, and das Christkindl in the south.

ReputationRep:

Oooh right. Heh I've lived in Germany and didn't even know that, how embarassing.
    It makes sense that Knecht Ruprecht is like Zwarte Piet (there are several of them, actually) cos they are both helpers, but that's really the only thing they have in common.

I always thought das Christkind is Jesus. But Jesus doesn't bring Christmas presents... or does he?

ReputationRep:

Oooh right. Heh I've lived in Germany and didn't even know that, how embarassing.
    It makes sense that Knecht Ruprecht is like Zwarte Piet (there are several of them, actually) cos they are both helpers, but that's really the only thing they have in common.

I always thought das Christkind is Jesus. But Jesus doesn't bring Christmas presents... or does he?

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.