The Student Room Group

I am absolutely disgusted at Ireland's advert

I've just seen the advert for Discover Ireland, and they included the Giant's Causeway. The Giant's Causeway is in the United Kingdom, not the Republic. I am absolutely disgusted that they seek to subvert British rule in the North by supplanting ideas that Northern Irish icons are actually part of the Rebublic.

Would I have a case with the Advertising Standards Authority?

Scroll to see replies

Oh shutup.
Reply 2
u mad
Reply 3
get over it
Reply 4
It's an advert for the whole of ireland it would only be misleading if it was for the republic but then showed stuff from N.I.
Reply 5
I am a lawyer. Yes
Reply 6
Original post by janco

No, but give the chaps a good old chuckle, they probably don't get funnier complaints than this ****.

Also the Giant's Causeway IS in Ireland, incase you never saw a map in your life and are not so good at Geography.
Well if you go on the discoverireland website, you'll see it talks about Northern Ireland too?

EDIT: As in, the whole of the island called Ireland. It's just split up into two, much like Haiti and Dominican Republic both being on Hispaniola
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
keep your disgust to yourself.
Reply 9
Original post by chrislpp
No, but give the chaps a good old chuckle, they probably don't get funnier complaints than this ****.

Also the Giant's Causeway IS in Ireland, incase you never saw a map in your life and are not so good at Geography.

Its actually in Northern Ireland
Discover Ireland is a joint venture between the tourist boards for the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

:console:
Reply 11
Original post by janco
I've just seen the advert for Discover Ireland, and they included the Giant's Causeway. The Giant's Causeway is in the United Kingdom, not the Republic. I am absolutely disgusted that they seek to subvert British rule in the North by supplanting ideas that Northern Irish icons are actually part of the Rebublic.

NO! lol
under the NSMC created by the Good Friday Agreement, Northern Ireland and the Republic SHARE TOURISM ADVERTISEMENT!
if nothing else its practical as its the same island and people travel to all parts when on holidays lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by BOD13
Its actually in Northern Ireland

Northern what? What was that word you said after northern? I didn't quite catch it.
Reply 13
Northern what? What was that word you said after northern? I didn't quite catch it.

So south AMERICA and north AMERICA are the same place are they?
Reply 14
Original post by Nix-j-c
It's an advert for the whole of ireland it would only be misleading if it was for the republic but then showed stuff from N.I.

NI have their own adverts :fyi:

We don't have to use things from RoI to show how great we are :smug:
Reply 15
Original post by BOD13
So south AMERICA and north AMERICA are the same place are they?

Those are continents.

How many times have people used Korea as a generic term rathern than North or South when the situation over there is a full out war several tiems throughout the year when there is basically no conflict between The Republic and North of Ireland. The only conflict was from idiotic individuals at the height of the Troubles.

People need to loosen their arses over the regions of the UK and Ireland. The rest of the world doesn't care and it never will.

You just got served. Bye.
It is one country.
Reply 17
Those are continents.

How many times have people used Korea as a generic term rathern than North or South when the situation over there is a full out war several tiems throughout the year when there is basically no conflict between The Republic and North of Ireland. The only conflict was from idiotic individuals at the height of the Troubles.

People need to loosen their arses over the regions of the UK and Ireland. The rest of the world doesn't care and it never will.

so England Scotland Wales are the same just because they share borders?

I presume you don't live in or come from NI?

Much ignorance is displayed :console:

ps. It's Northern Ireland. Not North of Ireland. There is a huge difference there :/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Those are continents.

How does that brief history of Korea relate to the fact that The Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland are different countries?
Reply 19
Original post by Cool Cat
so England Scotland Wales are the same just because they share borders?

I presume you don't live in or come from NI?

Much ignorance is displayed :console:

ps. It's Northern Ireland. Not North of Ireland. There is a huge difference there :/

The difference is that one's bankrupt and one isn't. I don't want my country's icons associated with insolvency.

Quick Reply

Latest