The Student Room Group

AS subjects!!!

is psychology a good subject to choose for A levels??
Reply 1
Its not a strong A level but not a weak one either, it depends on the university you apply to, but i herd it involves a little bit of maths(mainly graphs and things like that), and alot about biology, mainly about the nervous system and brain.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
it's sort of in the middle of everything. it's a very very weak science subject if it is even considered one, and though it involves writing quite a few essays it's hardly an essay subject as you don't have to learn to develop your own view. it kinda trains you up for developing a coherent argument, though. it's the only social sci subject (i think) that requires you to learn stuff about how to design and analyze an experiment, so yeah it's kinda like a hybrid of the three.

what i've heard about its linkages with university subjects (apart from the obvious psy or psy joint degree) is that it is being increasingly important in economics (neuroeconomics, game theory, behavioural economics, happiness economics...) and classical philosophy involves some psychology as well (not so sure about this someone pls correct me if i'm wrong! :P)

in terms of studying it for exams, it's quite easy at least for the AS level. lots of ppl find psy theories interesting so it's not hard to learn and memorize them. studies may become problematic as you have to be good with a lot of names and matching the names to the studies and that to the area you're studying for. but all in all you just have to memorize the stuff and write it out in the exam so it's not really hard.

and not all of it is about maths and biology. the maths is really light and arts student handle it well as well. you don't need to know any technicalities of the math (although it would be helpful) and only 1 unit (5 in AS) requires some biology. in the stress unit biological knowledge of the immune system come handy, although there's not terribly much of an overlap. there's quite some long hard technical names (like adrenocorticotrophic hormone) and if you're a biologist perhaps you'd be better at remembering these? i realize i'm generalizing here
Reply 3
I'd say it's fine as a fourth subject as long as your other three subjects are good
Reply 4
thankyou for answering my question, much appreciated :smile:
And i am also doing english language and french which Unis like i hear?
textiles is my other option and i know its not a very good strong subject but since i don't know exactly where i'm heading in life and fashion and creativity appeals to me, i don't want to rule it out then maybe later at Uni find i cant take fashion or whatever because i dont have the right subjects :/
Original post by ZXhia86
thankyou for answering my question, much appreciated :smile:
And i am also doing english language and french which Unis like i hear?
textiles is my other option and i know its not a very good strong subject but since i don't know exactly where i'm heading in life and fashion and creativity appeals to me, i don't want to rule it out then maybe later at Uni find i cant take fashion or whatever because i dont have the right subjects :/

English lang and foreign languages are very well respected at all unis really, so you won't have a problem there! If you wanted to go into fashion but change your mind later your subjects won't cut you off, you still have options. Getting the grades is very important though!
Reply 6
woo glad to hear that & yes hopefully i will :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest