This discussion is closed.
roseonthegrave
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Quick q to any physisists out there,

If the big crush (opp of big bang etc) was to begin today, what do you estimate the time it would take to complete it's cycle, when would it be detectable and if so, how?

Thanks
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
6 Days.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by roseonthegrave)

If the big crush (opp of big bang etc) was to begin today, what do you estimate the time it would take to complete it's cycle, when would it be detectable and if so, how?

Thanks
it would take 14 billion years. it wouldn't become detectable by us as we'd be long gone by the time that it does (the sun will only last about another 4 billion years)
roseonthegrave
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
even so, would it be detectable with the technology we have?
boygenious
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

Thanks
it should be detectable as soon as it starts (as blue shift would be detected as oppose to red shift), however it may take some time for those rays to reach Earth. as for the time it takes to complete its cycle, it would be equal to the current age of the universe. i'm not sure what value that is exactly
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

Thanks
oooh,

Would it be like Red Dwarf Series III Episode 1, "Backwards"?
mensandan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
A good question, you would know pretty much straight away, and never know at all. The reason, if the universe begins to contract then the laws of Physics breakdown, in the sense that the second law of thermodynamics becomes violated. Currently the universe is expanding and things are going from ordered to chaotic. If the reverse occurred then you you have a chaotic universe beocming more ordered. Thus the law is violated. However the second law of thermodynamics is a prerequisite to life as it gives us a directon for the time dimension. Currently there are three know 'time directions' all of which must point in the same direction for life as we know it to have any meaning. If the universe contracts and a new thermodynamic law is needed, it would be the same law but with time in reverse. Ie The law is still obeyed but only from the perspective of reverse time. This reverses one of the 3 indicators of the time dimension and as such you do not have time running in the same direction for all laws of physics. As such life as we know it would become a nonsequita. There would be no future, in some respects, yet in others time would be moving forward. As such time would be moving in 2 directions at once, this would cause a problem for spacetime as we know it and the fundamental construct of our universe would change, as such we would be an eccentricity of the old system and would not survive the restructuring. Forgive my not explaining any of these point in any depths. I HAVE MADE MY HANG OVER WORSE NOW. DOH
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
(the sun will only last about another 4 billion years)
scary thought - the world will end in 4 billion years! (unless we get struck by a big asteroid)
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by mensandan)
A good question, you would know pretty much straight away, and never know at all. The reason, if the universe begins to contract then the laws of Physics breakdown, in the sense that the second law of thermodynamics becomes violated. Currently the universe is expanding and things are going from chaotic to ordered. If the reverse occurred then you you have an ordered state becoming more chaotic and energetic. Thus the law is violated. However the second law of thermodynamics is a prerequisite to life as it gives us a directon for the time dimension. Currently there are three know 'time directions' all of which must point in the same direction for life as we know it to have any meaning. If the universe contracts and a new thermodynamic law is needed, it would be the same law but with time in reverse. Ie The law is still obeyed but only from the perspective of reverse time. This reverses one of the 3 indicators of the time dimension and as such you do not have time running in the same direction for all laws of physics. As such life as we know it would become a nonsequita. There would be no future, in some respects, yet in others time would be moving forward. As such time would be moving in 2 directions at once, this would cause a problem for spacetime as we know it and the fundamental construct of our universe would change, as such we would be an eccentricity of the old system and would not survive the restructuring. Forgive my not explaining any of these point in any depths. I HAVE MADE MY HANG OVER WORSE NOW. DOH
sounds interesting though.
mensandan
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
OMG the planet will die in 4 billion years because of the sun going Super Nova. Lets all go out an loot the shops. Why are we wasting our time saving trees? Screw the trees, What have they done for me lately?
My new slogan **** THE WHALE, SAVE YOURSELF!!!! LMFAO here, TEE HEE
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
OMG the planet will die in 4 billion years because of the sun going Super Nova. Lets all go out an loot the shops. Why are we wasting our time saving tress? Screw the trees, what have they done for me lately?
i actually heard it was less than 4 billion years......

something around 800 million years is one figure i heard.........

seems wrong rom what you and elpaw said.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
OMG the planet will die in 4 billion years because of the sun going Super Nova. Lets all go out an loot the shops. Why are we wasting our time saving trees? Screw the trees, What have they done for me lately?
Listen mate. The dinosaurs didn't have cars and they died off soon enough. So what chance do we have of reaching 4 billion years? I give it another 1 milion years MAXIMUM before we kill ourselves.
mensandan
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by bono)
i actually heard it was less than 4 billion years......

something around 800 million years is one figure i heard.........

seems wrong rom what you and elpaw said.
Oh my god, only 800 million years. Forget looting Argos then I won't have time to get to the front of the queue. Perhaps I shall go straight to looting the OFF-Licence. TEE HEE. ROtF.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Oh my god, only 800 million years. Forget looting Argos then I won't have time to get to the front of the queue. Perhaps I shall go straight to looting the OFF-Licence. TEE HEE. ROtF.
no, it was a wrong figure.

just checked, all 3 websites say "4 billion years">

you and elpaw are right.
mensandan
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Listen mate. The dinosaurs didn't have cars and they died off soon enough. So what chance do we have of reaching 4 billion years? I give it another 1 milion years MAXIMUM before we kill ourselves.
Good point, I agree entirely. However there is a big difference between the end of humanity, the end of our Solar system and the end of the Universe. The end of us is a small blip on the universal scale, in fact I am sure the Universe would love its bacterial infection to clear up, pretty *****y for us I agree. Indeed the death of a star is a beautiful thing on a Universal level as new matter is thrown out and the process of galactic rebirth occurs again. However the end of the universe is gonna be a pretty serious **** you to anyone who is around to see it. LOL all pretty funny when you think about it. I mean why should I bother recycling, eventually the sun will explode and the whole planet will be recycled, why waste time now, especially since we will be long gone by then, as a race I mean. VERY FUNNY
mensandan
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by bono)
no, it was a wrong figure.

just checked, all 3 websites say "4 billion years">

you and elpaw are right.
Fantastic so I'll have just enough time to loot Argos, build the table and chairs I have looted and then send off for the parts that were missing from the flat packs with Japanese assembly instructions. The universe is beautiful in the way things just seem to work out. HEE HEE
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Fantastic so I'll have just enough time to loot Argos, build the table and chairs I have looted and then send off for the parts that were missing from the flat packs with Japanese assembly instructions. The universe is beautiful in the way things just seem to work out. HEE HEE
although its just an approximate figure, a few billion years either way LOL!
]{ingnik
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
A good question, you would know pretty much straight away, and never know at all. The reason, if the universe begins to contract then the laws of Physics breakdown, in the sense that the second law of thermodynamics becomes violated. Currently the universe is expanding and things are going from chaotic to ordered. If the reverse occurred then you you have an ordered state becoming more chaotic and energetic. Thus the law is violated. However the second law of thermodynamics is a prerequisite to life as it gives us a directon for the time dimension. Currently there are three know 'time directions' all of which must point in the same direction for life as we know it to have any meaning. If the universe contracts and a new thermodynamic law is needed, it would be the same law but with time in reverse. Ie The law is still obeyed but only from the perspective of reverse time. This reverses one of the 3 indicators of the time dimension and as such you do not have time running in the same direction for all laws of physics. As such life as we know it would become a nonsequita. There would be no future, in some respects, yet in others time would be moving forward. As such time would be moving in 2 directions at once, this would cause a problem for spacetime as we know it and the fundamental construct of our universe would change, as such we would be an eccentricity of the old system and would not survive the restructuring. Forgive my not explaining any of these point in any depths. I HAVE MADE MY HANG OVER WORSE NOW. DOH
actually i think you'll find that the level of n trophy (chaos in the universe) is constantly increasing.
mensandan
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
HA HA good point, infact the argument still holds but I got my definitions back to front. DOH. I think I will edit my post as I hate to appear to be a total muppet, cheers mate. REP
LimpNoodle
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
well i just wont happen.

lol big crush, wtf are you on?

If the world as we know it does cease to exist it will be because the sun either boils away, explodes or (dues to our ever decreasing spiral towards it) swallow us up! but we'd die before due to great heat!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (57)
4.86%
Uncertainty around my education (179)
15.25%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (129)
10.99%
Lack of purpose or motivation (166)
14.14%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (51)
4.34%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (68)
5.79%
Loneliness (101)
8.6%
Financial worries (39)
3.32%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (56)
4.77%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
4.77%
Lack of real life entertainment (62)
5.28%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (104)
8.86%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (106)
9.03%

Watched Threads