The Student Room Group

AQA AS Geography - Population.

urmm, basically, whats the trick to doing well in population? generally going to fail this area .
can do rivers, coasts and health, but not population!
and 15 markers in 15 minutes - whyyy?!!
please helppp, becauseee im panickingg n i have less than 2 weeks :s-smilie: xx cheers xx
Reply 1
My whole January paper was on population and I got an A. All I did was present all my information in spider diagrams to help me revise and remember key facts and figures. In the exam just make sure you back up your points with causes for the change in population, and impacts from the change in population. Include at least 2 case study examples in the 15 mark question, usually an LEDC and an MEDC to show you understand the topic fully and can relate what you know to real life examples. Also, evaluate at the end of the 15 mark question. Basically just say how the population increase/decrease has affected the location and explain whether this is a positive or negative thing.
Reply 2
oh thankyou soo much!
Reply 3
Thought I'd just post in here rather than a whole new thread. Has anyone made any predictions what the 15 mark questions will be on?

Because so far these ones came up January last year, so most likely wont come up:

Rivers - Discuss Hard engineering as a flood management strategy.

Coasts - Describe causes of Sea level change and the resultant coastal land forms.

Population - Contrasting social welfare in different areas of a city.

Energy - Importance of different countries co-operation, effecting the global supply of energy.
Reply 4
urm, well for human geography, my teacher said for population: evaluation of dtm; overpopulation/underpopulation or migration. please be migration! rivers: i'm not sure, but nothing has come up on erosion or deposition so it may be describe and explain formations resulting from erosion? and for coasts: not a clue to be fairr. and i dont do energy i do health which i guess is on famine, x
Reply 5
My guesses are:
RIVERS: either:
Meander formation,
Soft engineering strategies (never been in papers)
Waterfall 8 marker

COLD ENVIRONMENTS: either
the role of temperature in the formation of periglacial landforms
How snow becomes ice 6 marker
Glacial troughs

POPN:
DTM analysis
Discuss effects of migration
Impacts of youthful/ageing popn

HEALTH:
Contrasting healthcare in countries at different stages of development
Causes of famine and plans to get rid of famine
Reply 6
what would you write for a question on famine? about the effects it has on LEDCs and the short term responses and the long term responses??

also, the shorter answer questions that came up last year were on the DTM and working out what stage malaysia was in, do you think that will come up again?
Reply 7
Original post by tlmn
what would you write for a question on famine? about the effects it has on LEDCs and the short term responses and the long term responses??

also, the shorter answer questions that came up last year were on the DTM and working out what stage malaysia was in, do you think that will come up again?

Define famine
Causes of famine,ie drought or natural disasters, population rise or rapid price in food
Ways in which NGOs might help to alleviate the problem in the short term and the problems with it e.g. infrastructure unavailable after a disaster
Long term ways to remove it eg increased funding to agriculture to, improvements to food market systems, easing int. Trade and canceling debt so food actually reaches the people who need it

They asked for regional variations in morbidity again in Jan 11 after Jun10 but usually the 15 markers don't come up again so I would bank on something about the DTM or migration as the popn 15 marker
Reply 8
So if it was on anaylising DTM how would we do well?
Heres what I would do:
Explain the different stages (BR, DR, natural increase)
Give an example at each stage
Say the good points - can see the stage of development a country is at and WHAT ARE THE OTHER GOOD POINTS?!
And bad points - how like now with advances in technology the coutnries in stage 2 go faster as they adopt the approaches from the countries in stage 4 such as all the medical care etc, ANY MORE BAD POINTS?
Thanks
Reply 9
good points: useful for making comparisons between countries because they all fit in etc and also its simple to read and notice changes
bad points: it does not show anything about migration or government intervention
Reply 10
Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 11
anyone else scared?
Reply 12
scared is an understatement! eeeek
I'm bloody scared too. Lots of things I don't really know. I pray that questions on city areas ie. inner city, suburbs etc. don't come up. I'm hoping for economic migration, or something about the DTM.
Reply 14
Does anyone do Energy - what do you think 15 mark could be?
Reply 15
i've decided to not revise the questions that came up in detail on the mock (i.e. 15 marks) as much

i really really hope they don't happen to come up as 15 marks again, i don't think they can but still worried that plan will backfire on me!
Reply 16
Original post by lukas1051
I'm bloody scared too. Lots of things I don't really know. I pray that questions on city areas ie. inner city, suburbs etc. don't come up. I'm hoping for economic migration, or something about the DTM.

I am also hoping settlement doesn't come up. IIRC, it came up in Jan 2011 as a 15 marker.
Original post by unknowable
I am also hoping settlement doesn't come up. IIRC, it came up in Jan 2011 as a 15 marker.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping for, although I think it's a little risky to not revise something because it might not come up :tongue:
Reply 18

its done now guysss :smile: and i did pretty **** to be fairr x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending