The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Well - I got an offer for English literature. On the other hand, it's conditional on my getting an A in A-level Classical Civ (as a post-A-level student) problem is, OCR wouldn't let me TAKE A-level Classics while I'm in the States (something about test centers) and my Classics is... you've guessed it, cashed as a B.

...So I might not have my offer very long...
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
plo1341
going back to the payment part. I'm an American but I was born in the UK and still hold a UK citizenship. Can I qualify as a homestudent? I really don't want to pay those overseas prices :p:
Hmm, it's doubtful. I'm English, and in order to qualify for the Scottish government to pay my fees I needed to have resided in Scotland for 3 years (which wasn't a problem, I've been here for almost 11). So technically, I'm a domicile Scot. I would guess the same would apply to you - you would need to have been living here since 2003, perhaps. This is really just a guess, but I don't think ex-pats get the benefits of lower fees as they haven't been living here paying taxes.
plo1341
going back to the payment part. I'm an American but I was born in the UK and still hold a UK citizenship. Can I qualify as a homestudent? I really don't want to pay those overseas prices :p:
Hmm, it's doubtful. I'm English, and in order to qualify for the Scottish government to pay my fees I needed to have resided in Scotland for 3 years (which wasn't a problem, I've been here for almost 11). So technically, I'm a domicile Scot. I would guess the same applies to you - you would need to have been living here since 2003, perhaps. This is really just a guess, but I don't think ex-pats get the benefits of lower fees as they haven't been living here paying taxes.
Really? Thats pretty worrying, i was born in scotland and lived there till i was 3, but i moved to the C.I, but we have a house back in scotland so we kind of qualify to get a grant - well thats what my parents were told (if i have 3 weeks residency i count for a grant or something)! Otherwise goodbye university, hello work! :argh:
Reply 124
plo1341

Unfortunately, I don't think you can qualify as a home student. It's more to do with residency, if you live in the USA for a period outside what is deemed to be "temporary" you have to pay overseas fees, regardless of citizenship. If your parents own a house in the UK it might be different though.

I'm a UK citizen, not a US citizen, and I have to pay overseas fees. It's kind of unfair, but I suppose it's to do with taxes or something... :frown:
Reply 125
HEY !!I got an offer for Management and Spanish with an year abroad 32 IB points overall wohoo!! coolies I am the happiest person ever! Is there anyone else who's got an offer for the same subjects??? Hey I've got another question ... is Manchester university or St. Andrews better????
Well if I get an offer from St Andrews i'm taking that over Manchester if that's any help.
Lots of energy you've got there, Alex! haha
Reply 128
alex_ssf
HEY !!I got an offer for Management and Spanish with an year abroad 32 IB points overall wohoo!! coolies I am the happiest person ever! Is there anyone else who's got an offer for the same subjects??? Hey I've got another question ... is Manchester university or St. Andrews better????
Without knowing much about the specific courses I'd definitely say St. Andrews is better. If you're trying to decide between those two though you'll need to think of other aspects, like location, price level, atmosphere, etc, along with the quality of the uni.
Reply 129
birkstopher40
Lots of energy you've got there, Alex! haha

Hey I didn't say I got 32 in my IB !!!I said St. Andrews want that from me!! I still haven't done my exams :smile: they are in May 2006... :P
Course applied for: English and French with year abroad
Conditions of offer: AAB
Typical offer: ABB i think
Thinking of accepting? Argh! mainly between here and Durham (and possibly Sussex?) I really don't know.. if anyone feels like pursuading me, please do.
Course applied for: Economics-Management-NL21
Typical offer: AAB I believe, their min offer is ABB
Thinking of accepting? Without a doubt my first choice depending on if I can persuade my family to let me go to Scotland!
Reply 132
I know i posted near the front of thread with my offer back in December but I have now accepted the offer for Maths! St. Andrews here I come (hopefully)!!
Finally, heard something off them.

I just got an offer of ABB for French and Spanish including year abroad.

I think this course is too long for me to be honest (5 years!) but I've still not decided what to do.
Course applied for: Management (Bsc)
Conditions of offer: ABB
Typical offer: ABB
Thinking of accepting? Probably will be my firm, with Exeter as insurance

Has anybody not heard?
Hey guys!!! I finally got one! They kept me waiting long enough, i was waitng until 2 mins ago!!! YAY! ^-^ Excuse the hyperness, im on a high atm - too much sugar and offerness!

Course applied for: Psychology and Social Anthropology (MA)
Typical offer: ABB - Damnit!!!
Thinking of accepting? Hell yes! Now all i need are the grades... did think about that ^-^!!! Yay!
Congrats PunkiePixie! (I think the ABB thing for the course is the minimum at least that's what it says in the prospectus)
Yay I can finally post on this page, so excited! :biggrin: ...

Course applied for: Modern Languages with Linguistics (WIYA)
Conditions of offer: ABB with the A in French or Spanish
Typical offer: well it said BBB on the website but in the 2007 prospectus it's ABB
Thinking of accepting? Yep I think so, I really like it. Just worried about the amount of literature. It depends whether my perfectionist streak forces me to reapply to try and get into Cambridge again!

So I finally found out about my offer yesterday when I went up for the open day. I decided to go to the admissions office to give them a prod and they told me they'd made a decision the day before. It's just so ironic, I check UCAS everyday for about 2 months and then the 1 day I don't check it and go and ask them what's going on and they've decided the day before!
Anyway, I'll shut up now, just needed to get that out! Good luck to anyone on here who's still waiting, although I think I was the last one...
Well done Lingolicious! I was considering re-applying as well next year (same sort of situation *shakes fist at Oxford*) but i'm really happy with St Andrews, it was just lovely on the open day!

:smile:
Reply 139
Lol, I forgot I had an account on here :smile:

Course applied for: Mathematics with German G1R2
Conditions of offer: AAB, with A in Maths
Typical offer: ABB, Meh!
Thinking of accepting? Yes, since I come from a village near Canterbury, Kent. I think the pace of life will suit me more than other universities like Sheffield or Southampton. It's a long way, but I feel it's right for me.

I'm doing A-Level Politics, Maths, German

Latest

Trending

Trending