The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Poll!!
Mad Caddie
Homoseuxal relationships are notoriously primiscuous, often resulting in a early breakdown, and the roles of the mother and father both can not be fulfilled. The psychological needs of the child also need to be considered.

It is my understanding that homosexual relationships are more stable than their heterosexual counterparts. This would not surprise me given the high percentage of heterosexual couples who divorce, for example. So if you look at each role of the man and woman, where does this lead single parents bring up their children? There is no 'other half' of the role to be fulfilled to start with.
Reply 3
Mad Caddie
No. A child need a stable home life with both a mother and father role model who provide different types of relationships and support which contributes to the childs emotional and social well-being.

You're being rather offensive to single parents who do excellent jobs of child rearing here, aren't you?

Homoseuxal relationships are notoriously primiscuous

As are black people. :rolleyes: doesn't mean all black people are going to be too busy sleeping around and having broken relationships to rear their children. You can't just go around assuming the worst about gay guys because some particularly visible ones were obnoxious.
often resulting in a early breakdown, and the roles of the mother and father both can not be fulfilled. The psychological needs of the child also need to be considered.

If you're referring to playground abuse, just consider another analogy, disabled people perhaps.
Reply 4
ashk87
Just interested to see wat u all think.

nope.
Reply 5
Mad Caddie
homosexual relationships are rarely monogamous and are even more rarely long term.

oh my god how rude are you going to be? I'm confident you wouldn't be so presumptious about any other group in society. btw it's not true, you're just ignorant to the majority, blinded by an in your face minority. your promiscuity is not defined by your sexuality, being gay simply says you fancy men (only).
Mad Caddie
...divorcees often go on to re-marry or enter a long term stable relationship.

This can result in unfavourable results for the children concerned. Often you hear the phrase when the child is upset, "He's not my father."

What is this percentage of divorcess re-marrying then? Got any evidence to back up that it is indeed often rather than say rarely?

To be honest regarding stability, age is also an important factor. I've seen plenty of heterosexual couples doing a poor job and are unstable because of their young age. But it's legal (proving they're both 16 and over).
Reply 7
Mad Caddie
No, single parents do a good job. And often the child still mantains contact with both parents.

But a huge number of kids never meet one of their parents. And they still turn out just fine. You're insulting their parents, and probably them by insinuating that the single parent failed to provide for them.

I don't agree. Black people as a whole are not as premiscuous,

But they are more so than the general population, which is the only thing you can say about gay people. Then you think, hey, just because some black people are promiscuous, doesn't mean that black people are by definition promiscuous, it wouldn't be fair to judge the the perfect sound black people on the promiscuity of random slags they've never met.

if even close, to that of gay people.

you know straight females are becoming more promiscuous than gay males on average right?

Gay people, by their own admissions are premiscuous

!!!! ?!??! who is this mysterious entity unified in lifestyle and identity?! "the gay population says ..."
Black people are by their own admissions promiscuous, Shaggy said so.

Are you saying that two single sex parents can provide everything a child need emotionally?

I don't know I don't study psychology, but I think it's a fair assumption that if we're going to allow single parents to raise children with no contact with the other parent, then we assume that it's not entirely inconceivable that a gay couple could make suitable parents.
Mad Caddie
No. A child need a stable home life with both a mother and father role model who provide different types of relationships and support which contributes to the childs emotional and social well-being.

Homoseuxal relationships are notoriously primiscuous, often resulting in a early breakdown, and the roles of the mother and father both can not be fulfilled. The psychological needs of the child also need to be considered.

Notoriously promiscous?
Have you ever anaylsed why you think this?
Gay people are no more promiscous than straight. However, they often have to go to lengths to find a sexual partner. The amount of people copping off in any random disco/nightclub is huge, you then look in a gay bar and you'll see the same thing. However, you look at the number of gay people copping off in a normal nightclub and its tiny. Gay people simply prefer these gay clubs so as to increase the chances that the guy/girl they are eyeing up is actually gay.
However, these clubs get slammed as dens of promiscuity and debauchery when it simply isn't true.

I think this whole argument is a blatant cop out
How many single parent families do you think there are. THeres no male role in most of these, and that is then taken on board by grandparents, or friends. Why can't gay couples be the same?

I don't think there is a single reason you could ever come up with to justify a blanket ban on gay couples adopting.
Reply 9
Considering the rigourous adoption procedure I think gay couples or individuals should be entitled to adopt. They can already use scientific techniques available to have children already eg insemination and surrogacy and I believe that a child is better suited to bring in a home with a loving parent(s) than being in institutions and foster homes. I have 2 homosexual friends both with children and they do a great job. One, a homosexual male couple have a 7 year old girl and she thinks its great having two dads that she lives with. She's happy and has no other problems that any other 7 yr old has.
Reply 10
fishpaste
You're being rather offensive to single parents who do excellent jobs of child rearing here, aren't you?

No, oddly enough and for a very rare change MadCaddie is speaking some sense. And let's not talk about "single parents who do excellent jobs of child rearing" Sure, obviously some do but the facts speak for themselves: school attainment, likelihood of becoming involved in crime/drugs etc......kids of single parents statistically do far worse.
Reply 11
foolfarian
Notoriously promiscous?
Have you ever anaylsed why you think this?
Gay people are no more promiscous than straight.

No. MadCaddie is right again. There is a wealth of information on this. They are far more promiscuous.
Reply 12
Howard
No. MadCaddie is right again. There is a wealth of information on this. They are far more promiscuous.

Perhaps they are just more honest. How, exactly, does one accurately measure 'promiscuity'?

Ben
Reply 13
Ben.S.
Perhaps they are just more honest. How, exactly, does one accurately measure 'promiscuity'?

Ben

by asking and then comparing the results :smile:
Reply 14
Ben.S.

Ben

One asks the question I'd imagine.......".....erm.....excuse me but how many sexual partners have you had in the last month/year/etc"? and when one has that data in hand for a group of homosexuals the exercise is repeated with a group of heterosexuals and hey presto/whadyafukinknow....a comparison can be made. Not brain surgery is it?
Reply 15
technik
by asking and then comparing the results :smile:

Some people :smile: :rolleyes:
i think it is time for people to stop interferring in the lives of others in the name of 'morality'...it is better to have homosexual parents than abusive or neglectful 'normal' ones...how ironic ...normal
Reply 17
brash_sassie
i think it is time for people to stop interferring in the lives of others in the name of 'morality'...it is better to have homosexual parents than abusive or neglectful 'normal' ones...how ironic ...normal

Is that the only choice? Homosexual or abusive or neglectful?

What about heterosexual and NOT abusive or neglectful all at the same time? Or would that be too much to expect?
Reply 18
Howard
One asks the question I'd imagine.......".....erm.....excuse me but how many sexual partners have you had in the last month/year/etc"? and when one has that data in hand for a group of homosexuals the exercise is repeated with a group of heterosexuals and hey presto/whadyafukinknow....a comparison can be made. Not brain surgery is it?

Not really a particularly valid 'comparison', is it? How do you think you would go about picking gay people at random to survey!?! How on earth would you expect to get a representative sample by doing that? These sorts of surveys are pretty dubious. As someone pointed out, even if we believe this data - why do you think gay people would be inclined to be more promiscuous? They must have the same urges, and yet it is conceivable to think that they might have a more difficult time finding a long-term partner. Just a thought. I don't see how this is in any way relevant to the (heavily vetted) adoption process. Presumably people of any orientation aren't going to wilfully enter into a joint lifetime commitment if they aren't first committed to each other. I'm not really sure of my personal opinion on the subject. I would be inclined to favour a heterosexual couple over a homosexual one for the purposes of adoption by pure instinct, although I cannot really justify why this is without resorting to the usual 'normal' etc. drivel.

Ben
Reply 19
lessthanthree
I've known children of gay parentage

an impossibility.

Latest

Trending

Trending