Turn on thread page Beta

Should Gays be allowed to adopt? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OpaL kOboI)
    I don't think being gay is wrong, I think adopting children while you are gay is wrong.
    'Read my post next time.'
    Do you actually have any good reason to think this? Why shouldn't a gay couple be just as good at parenting as a straight couple? I know two women who have a 9-year-old daughter: she's absolutely lovely, happy, and sees no "issue" regarding her parents. So where's the problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aenor)
    Do you actually have any good reason to think this? Why shouldn't a gay couple be just as good at parenting as a straight couple? I know two women who have a 9-year-old daughter: she's absolutely lovely, happy, and sees no "issue" regarding her parents. So where's the problem?
    Some people make problems where they don't exist. It makes it easier for them to ignore the real problems in society.

ReputationRep:
    Gay people should be allowed to adopt. Sexauality does not lead to bad parenting, having gay parents does not result in being gay, just as having hetrosexual parents does not lead to hetrosexuality. And so what if it did? Whats wrong with being gay?
    People should be judged on their belefis, successes and failures not their sexual orienation. Futhermore having gay parents would lead to an open mind.

However even though i support the right to gay adoption, i'd never do it and i cant see why others would want to do it. The best thing about being gay is the fact your not tied down - not legally and no children.

ReputationRep:
    DAMN IT! I am NOT againt homosexuality. I am against the adoption for gay couples. If they wanna be gay, SO BE IT! Adoption for gay people is a problem for the future society. Not a MAJOR problem, but yes, a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~MOi~)
    DAMN IT! I am NOT againt homosexuality. I am against the adoption for gay couples. If they wanna be gay, SO BE IT! Adoption for gay people is a problem for the future society. Not a MAJOR problem, but yes, a problem.
    What's the problem?

ReputationRep:
    If they wanna be gay, SO BE IT!
    Are you suggesting people choose their sexaul orientation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~MOi~)
    Why is it a problem? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~MOi~)
    Better not be a politician then.

"I don't think being gay is wrong, I think adopting children while you are gay is wrong."

I think anyone who believes this should really look deep inside themselves and analyse just why they think this.
    Why they really don't think a gay couple would be as good parents as a straight couple.

It reminds me of the social service which removed a black child from the foster parents she had had for 3 years because they decided she would be better placed with blak foster carers so as not to 'confuse her'

ReputationRep:
    Well after a long and heated discussion with a friend of mine I have come to the conclusion that although two gay men/women could do an equally good job at parenting the child, the problem comes from society at large.

People and especially children are not very nice when confronted with situations of homosexuality and thus the child is unfortunately and very wrongly likely to get bullied at school for having odd parents. This will in the long run cause the child to have an emotionally unbalanced past and some possible serious mental problems as a result of the profuse bullying.

If there was a way to allow for the couple to have the child and to safeguard against bullying then I would take it!!! As the child itself is unlikely to be affected negativly by such a relationship by its parents. But unfortunately this isn't the case, society as a whole is not understanding of these matters and thus the child would be susseptable to greater long time trouble/harm.

So I regretfully say that gay couples shouldn't adopt, not because of the lack of love and support they could give or the lack of a stable foundation (both of which they could give as good as a hetrosexual couple), but due to the fact that the long term implications of the childs interaction with society may be affected.

Smiler

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cattericksmiler)
    Well after a long and heated discussion with a friend of mine I have come to the conclusion that although two gay men/women could do an equally good job at parenting the child, the problem comes from society at large.

People and especially children are not very nice when confronted with situations of homosexuality and thus the child is unfortunately and very wrongly likely to get bullied at school for having odd parents. This will in the long run cause the child to have an emotionally unbalanced past and some possible serious mental problems as a result of the profuse bullying.

If there was a way to allow for the couple to have the child and to safeguard against bullying then I would take it!!! As the child itself is unlikely to be affected negativly by such a relationship by its parents. But unfortunately this isn't the case, society as a whole is not understanding of these matters and thus the child would be susseptable to greater long time trouble/harm.

So I regretfully say that gay couples shouldn't adopt, not because of the lack of love and support they could give or the lack of a stable foundation (both of which they could give as good as a hetrosexual couple), but due to the fact that the long term implications of the childs interaction with society may be affected.

Smiler
    So would you adovcate the same if a potential white child is to be adopted by a black or 'Indian' parents in Burnley or Oldham because due to the fact that the long term implications of the childs interaction with society may be affected?

ReputationRep:
    This is one right-wing view, I don't agree with gay couples being able to adopt.

I do, however, agree with gay marriage, and every other normal liberty for gay couples.

ReputationRep:
    First, yes I think they/we shoud....

Secondly...

(Original post by thebucketwoman)
    This is one right-wing view, I don't agree with gay couples being able to adopt.

I do, however, agree with gay marriage, and every other normal liberty for gay couples.
    Why don't you agree? If there is a stable, healthy relationship present, why does it matter about the sexuality of that relationship for a child to be adopted into?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by objectivism)
    Are you suggesting people choose their sexaul orientation?
    Take it or leave it, you have a choice in your sexual orientation. claiming otherwise is what i call "looking for an excuse"

The first rapist did not need a mentor, neither did the first murder...why does the first gay need one. Gays should get used to been responsible for their personality (...you are what you make of your self).

About adopting kids, Personally I will say no to gay parenting as humans have a tendecy to flow with the trend hence allowing gay to adopt would only increase the gay population.

However, there is no doubt that gay parents can be as loving as regular parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toluseunfawole)
    Take it or leave it, you have a choice in your sexual orientation. claiming otherwise is what i call "looking for an excuse"

The first rapist did not need a mentor, neither did the first murder...why does the first gay need one. Gays should get used to been responsible for their personality (...you are what you make of your self).

About adopting kids, Personally I will say no to gay parenting as humans have a tendecy to flow with the trend hence allowing gay to adopt would only increase the gay population.

However, there is no doubt that gay parents can be as loving as regular parents.
    >scoops jaw up off floor<

next time you truely fall in love (if you do)... please try and find how you chose it, and how someone falling in love with someone of the same sex and not having a choice with it is "looking for an excuse"

as for the comparing to rapists and murders... its a bit tasteless to say the least... on top of that, murder and rape could be considered single actions, not a way of thinking, but even if you don't believe that, you believe that being a murderer is a 'state of mind', the predisposition towards murder will be no less of a choice than being gay is... it is something that is moulded into who you are: either through nurture or nature (which is an entirely different debate). If an aspect of yourself is achieved through nurture/nature, wherein lies the choice???

....and now im gonna get back on point so that this doesnt turn into another 'right or wrong' or 'choice or not' stylie gay thread.... soz....

if what you say is true, and people 'follow the trends', one: the way in which trends go in and out of fashion should help you feel better about the apparent increase in gay population... the trend will fade... and two: a relationship won't truely be solid and stable enough to support a child in the way that it should: it won't last, and it won't be in a stable enough situation to cope with a child...

ReputationRep:
    Gay people do not necessarily claim otherwise because they are "looking for an excuse". I see no problem in being gay, therefore I feel no need to excuse it - however, I certainly did not have a choice in the matter.
    If you're going to make statements like that, I'm afraid you have to have at least something to back them up.

Possibly the most irrelevant set of examples I've ever seen. For a start, it fails to link with your previous point. Gays who claim that they did not choose it do not claim that they became it because of some "mentor".
    Also, sexuality is not to be equated with personality. Everyone is almost certainly responsible for - at least some aspects of - their personality. You are yet to prove that they are responsible for their sexuality. Whoever said "the first gay" needed "a mentor", might I ask?

You are arguing in a circle here. Until you have proven that it is bad to be gay, you cannot assert that it is a bad thing that more people might turn out gay due to gay parenting. Furthermore, there are vast numbers of studies showing NO increased propensity for homosexuality in children of gay-parent families. Stop making assumptions please.

Quite true.

Zarathustra.

ReputationRep:
    So when did you choose to be straight? Next time you have sex, will it be with a man? Well why? Why not with a woman? They say women are better in bed... why not give it a go?
    You cannot choose who you fall in love with, and suggesting otherwise is clearly ridiculous.

Not a comparable set of circumstances. Some people would find you comparing gays with such horrific criminals very insulting.
    What makes you make such unsupported assumptions as 'you are what you make of yourself'? Of course we play a large in what we turn out as, but there are other things which affect us too you know. You can't just discount them.

Ignoring the glaring flaws in your argument here, what would the problem be with that?

ReputationRep:
    apologies for comparing with rapist and murderers :tsr:

so inventors didnt settle for existing resources hence they came up with their own solutions, the fact still remains that i wont accept that you are not responsible for who you are. while it is true that you certian situations might have brough you to that point, it is also true that those who desire to be otherwise have people who are willing to help.

I maintain that people (good or bad) tend to follow trends(good or bad), its what makes the world the way it is or like we say - its one of the mmany things that makes life fun and dangerous- in some case it is called development in some case fashion, whatever it is called, it is man's need for change that drive him to it

and as to why the only reason why i say no to adoption for gay been the fact that they are gay. its the fact that while i am in no doubt as to the above statements, i am also aware that they are human with feelings just like those of who are "straight" (been straight doesnt mean you are not something terrible in other areas of your life) and the fact that one is gay means they ussually get enough harrasment form various quaters so why add this, having gay pearents would amost be like having single parents.

but like i earlier said, it wouldnt help in anyway since the likes of me would rather see the end of such practice that the growth of it

ReputationRep:
    so inventors didnt settle for existing resources hence they came up with their own solutions, the fact still remains that i wont accept that you are not responsible for who you are. while it is true that you certian situations might have brough you to that point, it is also true that those who desire to be otherwise have people who are willing to help.
    What? That geniunely doesn't follow... sorry!
    Ummm, as far as I can answer to something which doesn't make 100% sense (where do inventors come into it?). It's not true, actually. Why would you want to be otherwise anyway.

I maintain that people (good or bad) tend to follow trends(good or bad), its what makes the world the way it is or like we say - its one of the mmany things that makes life fun and dangerous- in some case it is called development in some case fashion, whatever it is called, it is man's need for change that drive him to it
    Yes, but you said that children with gay parents might be more likely to turn out gay, and this was why the shouldn't be allowed to adopt.
    I ask again, why would the children turning out gay be a problem?

and as to why the only reason why i say no to adoption for gay been the fact that they are gay. its the fact that while i am in no doubt as to the above statements, i am also aware that they are human with feelings just like those of who are "straight" (been straight doesnt mean you are not something terrible in other areas of your life) and the fact that one is gay means they ussually get enough harrasment form various quaters so why add this, having gay pearents would amost be like having single parents.
    Yes, but that could be extended to a whole spectrum of people, why are you just applying it to gay people? e.g. if your parents don't have university degrees you might be harassed, so will you stop those people from adopting?
    Also, the harassment is society's issue - gay people shouldn't be punished for it (by not allowing them to adopt) while those who do the harassing get away with it. That's like punishing the victim in a bullying case. It simply does not make sense.
    Gay adoption would make homosexuality more accepted in society and thus reduce harassment over time... if you keep bending to prejudice it will never go away.

but like i earlier said, it wouldnt help in anyway since the likes of me would rather see the end of such practice that the growth of it
    Sorry? Again, you're unintelligible. What wouldn't help? What practise? Growth of what? If it's gay adoption, what point are you trying to make?

ReputationRep:
    I apologise if somebody has already made this point but i got bored at page 35!!!! Many people arguing for homosexual couples being allowed to adopt have said that they would rather children be brought up in a stable loving enviroment than in a foster home or hostel.

The point has been made that the majority of people wanting to adopt children wish to adopt new born babies or toddlers. Someone also pointed out that there are more couples wishing to adopt than there are babies to adopt.

This logic may seem strange but, what makes anybody think that if homosexual couples were allowed to adopt there preference would be any different than that of hetrosexual couples. Having said this, is it probable that allowing homosexual couples to adopt would simply lengthen the waiting lists and not has many have claimed provide a loving enviroment for the children in foster homes and hostels. I'll point out thats not a retorical question, i would like opinions.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.