This discussion is closed.
xtra786
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Hey all, currently in year 13 and hoping to read dentistry at manchester (04 entry, CF), i heard that umist and manchester are merging in october 04 and was wondering if there were any disadvantages to this?
Petrozzi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by xtra786)
Hey all, currently in year 13 and hoping to read dentistry at manchester (04 entry, CF), i heard that umist and manchester are merging in october 04 and was wondering if there were any disadvantages to this?
Hiya, this is pretty useful and should answer most of your queries:

http://www.umist.ac.uk/prospectivest...ergraduate.htm
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well it will be an excellent university, the biggest in the UK and it will get £80 million when it merges.

There doesn't seem to be any real disadvantages.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
From what I have seen the merger will only create one of the best universities in the country. Both Manchester UMIST are great universities so a merger will be a bit like Oxford and Cambridge merging so to speak.

It just means more money for research and teaching. This can only be a good thing.
lilsunflower
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
Well it will be an excellent university, the biggest in the UK and it will get £80 million when it merges.

There doesn't seem to be any real disadvantages.
Perhaps the only disadvantages are that elitists may not like the idea of UMIST 'tainting' Manchester. However, as you said, it will be truly excellent and they can benefit from economies of scale and all the other benefits you can expect from a merger. Plus, you get more friends!
Petrozzi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
Perhaps the only disadvantages are that elitists may not like the idea of UMIST 'tainting' Manchester.
Not really possible, since UMIST caters for Sci and Eng only and does extremely well.
However, as you said, it will be truly excellent and they can benefit from economies of scale and all the other benefits you can expect from a merger.
Don't try and soften your previous blow.
Plus, you get more friends!
Nope, mainly because all three Manchester Universities are in the same place anyway... Oh you're from overseas though.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
There's actually five institutions on Oxford Road :P Manchester University, UMIST, Man Met, MBS and Royal Norther College of Music.

I think in one of the first press releases that Manchester made, they mentioned one of the objectives was to attract the students who saw Oxbridge/London as the only place to be by keeping entry standards high, and using the increased resources of the merger to push themselves up the league tables.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (56)
4.8%
Uncertainty around my education (177)
15.18%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (128)
10.98%
Lack of purpose or motivation (165)
14.15%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (51)
4.37%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (68)
5.83%
Loneliness (101)
8.66%
Financial worries (39)
3.34%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (56)
4.8%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
4.8%
Lack of real life entertainment (62)
5.32%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (104)
8.92%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (103)
8.83%

Watched Threads