GCSE core science grade boundaries. How do I get an A :(

Watch
NoctisXIII
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
New member here, first post

I wanted help with finding out how many marks I need to get an A overall in core science. Long story short, I flopped year 10 and am doing resits for all my exams during that year. Additional science I'm fine so far I think so not too worried about that.

My overall was a C last year for core science and for me a person who should be getting A/A* I was dissapointed. Though it was my own fault for being lazy and not revising so not complaining here.

The problem is even if I retake the B1, C1 and P1, my isa grade is something I can't change now (since it's been a year) and that was also a C grade. Funnily enough in this years additional isa I got 34/40 raw marks with no revision

My teacher said my isa UMS was 65 and I know that you need 320 UMS to get an A overall.

So 320 - 65 = 255.

Divide that by 3 and I need 85 UMS in each of my retakes to get an A overall.
In terms of raw marks that's roughly 38 raw marks each paper if I divide by 100 and times by 45. Though I know that's not exactly how it works.

I was wondering on average how many raw marks would 85 UMS equate to in B1, C1 and P1.

I know grade boundaries change every year but there must be a common average on boundaries if the paper wasn't too hard or not too easy.

And just to make sure I'm talking about double award science here.

Core science = B1 + C1 + P1 + ISA
Additional science = B2 + C2 + P2 + ISA

So to summarise, what would the average raw marks needed for 85 UMS be in B1, C1 and P1?

Thanks.
TheFootyKing19
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Never 38/45 for an A! (tho you never know)

All always roughly 28 for an A
NoctisXIII
Rep:
?
I want to know how much 85 UMS would usually be in terms of raw marks in B1, C1 and P1.

I know the amount of raw marks you would need for 85 UMS change every year but what would the average grade boundary in raw marks be to get 85 UMS?

And I'm not sure of this but aren't the B1 grade boundaries usually higher than P1 and C1?

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to answer even though it wasn't exactly what I was looking for.
NoctisXIII
Rep:
?
Anyone?
NoctisXIII
Rep:
?
bump
Pandora.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd help but I'm useless on these things. Still a bump for you though.
Wobblegobble
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
core science is basically common sense. especially the multiple choice ones. read through the revision guide and do some past papers and you should be fine.
NoctisXIII
Rep:
?
I'm with AQA so no it isn't multiple choice, but I guess you're right. I should just try as hard as possible and the grades should appear themselves if I've worked hard enough. Sky's the limit
muzakir
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
actually if your ISA mark was a C u can still get an A* by making sure u get 50/50 in B1+C1+P1
and common grade boundaries
90% A* (360/400)
80% A (320/400)
70% B (280/400)
60% C (240/400)
50 % D (200/400)
40% E (160/400)
30% F (120/400)
20% G (80/400)
10%< U (40/400>)
NoctisXIII
Rep:
?
Not 50/50. Total marks are 45, not 50.

And grades are based on UMS not raw marks, so 32/45 could be 100 UMS if the paper was very hard, the next year 38/45 might be 100 UMS because the paper was quite easy.

I would need 98, 98 and 97 UMS in each paper or 100 UMS, 95 UMS, 95 UMS. And that sounds really difficult unless you're amazingly good at science. It's possible but extremely unlikely for me.

Anyway my question is asking about how to get an A grade not A* since I know myself how unlikely it will be to get an A* total.

Though I've changed my stance and I'm just going to try the best I can.
Wobblegobble
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by NoctisXIII)
I'm with AQA so no it isn't multiple choice, but I guess you're right. I should just try as hard as possible and the grades should appear themselves if I've worked hard enough. Sky's the limit
I did AQA separate sciences. (but obviously I did all the core and additional modules) and my core papers were multiple choice, I think my teachers said there was a choice between written and multiple choice for core. I finished my gcses in 2009 though so it might be different for you
And lol you do need a good brain and hardwork to do well. Actually at A level it is mainly about who works the hardest and who's good at regurgitating facts
Alan Lonergan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Will somebody please tell me what the grade boundary is for a B in GCSE Science year 10 with AQA? on my results sheet it says i got 274 total marks and i have a bad feeling that it was 275 for a B, but it is all very hard for me to work out and makes no sense, so if somebody could please clarify what mark is a B, that would be much appreciated. cheers guys
shicklydudu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Alan Lonergan)
Will somebody please tell me what the grade boundary is for a B in GCSE Science year 10 with AQA? on my results sheet it says i got 274 total marks and i have a bad feeling that it was 275 for a B, but it is all very hard for me to work out and makes no sense, so if somebody could please clarify what mark is a B, that would be much appreciated. cheers guys
You need 70% UMS to get B. Since it is out of 400 you need to get 70% of 400 which is 280UMS. 400*0.7=280. So you were 6 ums marks off of a B. Its up to you if you wanna try a remark but its a big ask for 6 extra marks when you can just try again in year 11.
kardy238
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
to get an A you need 5 out 0f 2000056
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (41)
18.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (63)
28.25%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (85)
38.12%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (29)
13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.24%

Watched Threads