Turn on thread page Beta

Are we all slaves to society? watch

ReputationRep:
    Before you comment please read this

1) Most people are stuck in the rat race of constantly working for companies and corporations day and night just to make a living. Those that do become the employer instead, end up exploiting others and shroud them selves with ego and narcissism.
    2) When people are constrained to debt when they buy a house they end up paying double after they have paid back the loan over 20 - 40 years.
    3) Those who do not follow "socially" accepted values or are seemed to be "lower in class" than us are instead outcasted e.g. homeless guy on the street or the girl with no friends etc.
    4) If people are laid off from work unfairly it effectively means that the "leaders" of the company do not give a **** and see you as "lower than them".
    5) Our lives are heavily dependent on the latest celebrity scandal, materialism, etc in general.

You might just say thats how life is, but you must ask your self who made the rules and laws in the first place on how life should be like?

So are we but slaves to society unless one makes an effort to break through the herd?

"Those who try get by,
    Those who cry are left to die"

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slavetosociety)
    co-operations[/I]
    Corporation...

ReputationRep:
    this could be argued for days but I believe that the laws in our society are set to provide boundaries in society in order to prevent chaos and to encourage the most efficient running of our country. thats a very brief and basic way of explaining what i believe. we must all remember that everyone has the opportunity to gain an education and gain authority in order to make changes to our society. thats how society adapts. society adapts with age, so is made by the people for the people. therefore what you are kind of saying is that we are enslaving ourselves.....

maybe im just saying this because i want to study law at university who knows.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    Corporation...
    lol

ReputationRep:
    We are sheep. Yes. We deserve it.

If we cannot see the yoke and take the steps necessary to remove it or loosen it to free ourselves then we deserve to be shackled and beaten.

ReputationRep:
    Embrace culture instead. Go get bathed by crowned dancers. Dance.

ReputationRep:
    In general terms, I agree with you, OP.

ReputationRep:
    celebrity obsessed, materialistic, debt ridden narcissists?

speak for yourself, dip****. Your little diatribe doesn't describe me or any of my friends.

ReputationRep:
    The good news is... Yes.

The bad... There is no bad everything is going great. NOW GET BACK IN LINE !!

ReputationRep:
    Probably. More specifically to the age-old global capitalist conspiracy that is intimately intertwined with 'static (political) banditry' :beard:

ReputationRep:
    The illuminati :L

ReputationRep:
    I agree...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    celebrity obsessed, materialistic, debt ridden narcissists?

speak for yourself, dip****. Your little diatribe doesn't describe me or any of my friends.
    :facepalm2: I never said everyones a narcissist...read the whole post imbecile.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Should have gone to specsavers...

ReputationRep:
    ever heard of fight club monologue. "we are the all singing all dancing crap of the world and we have only ust recently found out about this. and we are really pissed off" or some such...

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2: I never said everyones a narcissist...read the whole post imbecile.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Should have gone to specsavers...
    you said "are we ALL slaves to society" and implied that anyone that was successful was nacissistic and egotistical. which is bull****. in fact everything you wrote was bull****, frankly.

If you think you're a "slave to society" (which you clearly do, judging by your angst-ridden username) perhaps you should do something about the miserable condition of your own life. You may wish to consider going to listen to some "emo music".

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a very natural thing to form some kind of 'social structure', and only for a few to question it and stuff.
    I guess it's all across nature, but the example that springs to mind is the bees in their hive.
    They go about doing whatever they do, and it works for them.

Is that good enough for us? - no.
    I believe that, at the time of Jesus's second coming, when many terrible things will happen, a very small number of people will go to heaven.
    And, for me, that defines 'true life', rather than the pursuit of sustaining the sort of quasi-life which you describe, and which pretty much everyone does each day.

Some realise that this is no way to live, and instead choose to spend life seeking out pleasures instead.
    In one way, that's intelligent, and it asks the right question but yields the wrong answer (if you see what I mean), in my opinion.
    It is a very self-serving solution.

ReputationRep:
    If you do not serve God, you have no reason to live. Nobody who wants true salvation will serve society before God.

ReputationRep:
    I've come to the same conclusions by myself, through therapy - which the foundation was built upon the ideas of nonreligious materialism. Through this facing reality for what it is, I've decided to follow God. I've turned back the clock 2000 years because I don't believe science has all the answers. Only we have the answer. And that's not to stop short of being a democratically inclined drone (which is nothing to do with real invididuality anyway , but more to do with buying into the notion that one is free and has certain liberties - which are never real anyway). But i wemt further and decided for myself that being a slave to ego, then to someone elses idea of a mature ego is just all vanity. Modern Western democratic society is a corrupt and failed concept

ReputationRep:
    Those who cry are left to die"
    That quote is so powerful, honestly :bawling:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2018
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.