Turn on thread page Beta

word limits watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It depends on individual subjects/lecturers. For our English essays, we're not allowed more than 40 words over without being penalised, but for Journalism we had a 2,000 word essay and were told that as long as it wasn't more than 2,300 she wouldn't take marks off.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on individual subjects/lecturers. For our English essays, we're not allowed more than 40 words over without being penalised, but for Journalism we had a 2,000 word essay and were told that as long as it wasn't more than 2,300 she wouldn't take marks off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silence)
    all about the essay being about 12 words per page with the rest stuck underneath as footnotes.
    But footnotes count as part of the word count...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silence)
    all about the essay being about 12 words per page with the rest stuck underneath as footnotes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kew)
    Do they? They don't for us. Or at least references don't - footnotes with quite a bit of text in do.

ReputationRep:
    Ours is usually +/- 10%. Do you actually include a count with it?! I never have...the lecturers said they can "tell" just by how many pages of typing it is so I never bothered lol. I struggle to meet mine...never had to go over

ReputationRep:
    Our word limits exclude figures, citations, and references.

ReputationRep:
    It varies by department, so best to ask! I don't think any politics person here has ever said officially, but I *think* we're allowed 10% above etc. Never been a problem in the past anway.

ReputationRep:
    Depends entirely on the lecturer/department/uni. We've been told that they won't mark anything over the word limit, although i don't know anything about this with never having gone over the limit. Most of my essays tend to be on the short side, but doesn't seem to have affected my marks (I did a 4000 word essay that was only 2500 and got a 2:1 for it), but that could just be down to the lecturer marking it?

ReputationRep:
    In my first year it was kind of left unstated but it was the general assumption that there was a 10% band either way you should aim to be in. Then last year they set a hard limit - go over and you lost 10 marks right off the bat. This year the policy has been written so they can effectively do what they like in any given situation and still justifiably claim they're marking within the guidelines.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.