The Student Room Group

Couple going to Uni... couple of Qs..

Me and my gf are looking to go to the same uni or ones in the same area... like Kingston and Roehampton... this may be the wrong place for this question... but i'll plonk it here anyway, no doubt someone will move it if it's necessary!
1) when couples go to uni do they stay together? Is it hard?

2) can you stay over (in their room - uni accomodation) if it's not your building/or even uni!?

3) do the dorm/flat-mates mind you making *coughsomenoisecough*

thanks guys/gals. :smile:
T :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Me and my gf are looking to go to the same uni or ones in the same area... like Kingston and Roehampton... this may be the wrong place for this question... but i'll plonk it here anyway, no doubt someone will move it if it's necessary!
1) when couples go to uni do they stay together? Is it hard?

2) can you stay over (in their room - uni accomodation) if it's not your building/or even uni!?

3) do the dorm/flat-mates mind you making *coughsomenoisecough*

thanks guys/gals. :smile:
T :smile:
Reply 2
I can't really answer your question cos I'm not at uni with a gf, but my best friend is.

He's been living with her for over a year now at uni and from what he's told me there hasn't been any major problems (not sure he'd tell me about it anyway)

Also he went to the same uni as his gf mainly to stay with her when he could have gone off to a decent uni. His whole family, and gf's family were really pissed off that they'd gone to a lousy uni just to stay together and yeh, that's not cool. He also mentionned a while back that he was getting sick of his course cos it wasn't really what was best for him, you know, having doubt if he'd made the right decision.

Anyway, that's all I can offer.
Reply 3
I can't really answer your question cos I'm not at uni with a gf, but my best friend is.

He's been living with her for over a year now at uni and from what he's told me there hasn't been any major problems (not sure he'd tell me about it anyway)

Also he went to the same uni as his gf mainly to stay with her when he could have gone off to a decent uni. His whole family, and gf's family were really pissed off that they'd gone to a lousy uni just to stay together and yeh, that's not cool. He also mentionned a while back that he was getting sick of his course cos it wasn't really what was best for him, you know, having doubt if he'd made the right decision.

Anyway, that's all I can offer.
1) It is a really BAD idea to go to a university because your partner is going there. You should apply to the best universities for your course which you have the grades for, and go to the best one that gives you an offer. You shouldn't even consult each other when deciding to apply.

2) If the relationship is meant to be, it will survive even if you are in Plymouth and she is in Aberdeen. If it's not, it won't survive no matter how close you are living.

3) Yes you can stay over.

4) Yes your flatmates will be very annoyed if they can hear you having sex. You'll just have to keep the noise down.
1) It is a really BAD idea to go to a university because your partner is going there. You should apply to the best universities for your course which you have the grades for, and go to the best one that gives you an offer. You shouldn't even consult each other when deciding to apply.

2) If the relationship is meant to be, it will survive even if you are in Plymouth and she is in Aberdeen. If it's not, it won't survive no matter how close you are living.

3) Yes you can stay over.

4) Yes your flatmates will be very annoyed if they can hear you having sex. You'll just have to keep the noise down.
Reply 6
I went to the same uni as my bf (it wasn't planned, we got together after we'd confirmed out uni places). I don't think there's been any problems really. Last year we were in different halls but we stayed over quite a lot; it wasn't a problem. We're sitll together this year. You just have to make sure that you still make the effort to get to know other people at the beginning and then i don't think they'll be any real problems. Just don't go somewhere that you don't want to just to be together, it'll probably make things worse. I know plenty of people who have gone to different unis and just see each other at weekends and things have been fine for them too.
Reply 7
I went to the same uni as my bf (it wasn't planned, we got together after we'd confirmed out uni places). I don't think there's been any problems really. Last year we were in different halls but we stayed over quite a lot; it wasn't a problem. We're sitll together this year. You just have to make sure that you still make the effort to get to know other people at the beginning and then i don't think they'll be any real problems. Just don't go somewhere that you don't want to just to be together, it'll probably make things worse. I know plenty of people who have gone to different unis and just see each other at weekends and things have been fine for them too.
Reply 8
I came to university with my girlfriend - it was always a joint thing. We split up a couple of weeks ago; apparantly she's attracted to other people. The one piece of advice I can offer you is this: You go to the university that you want to go to, and don't think in terms of being with your girlfriend.

The thing is I compromised on my choice of Uni and believe me you will have a favourite, and now I'm stuck at the university I came to with my ex-girlfriend and because I'm on the same course I will see her nearly everyday. Isn't life just great!

Girls in particular think and act different at uni (not all but quite a few), and use it as an opportunity to experience new and different things, and that includes men.

Don't get me wrong, you and your girlfriend may do very well together at uni and yes you can sleep in each others bed.

But it's YOUR future you must thing about and do the best thing for you, not your girlfriend. Go for the best course and university for you. Long Distance Relationships do work if the relationship is strong enough - there is a guy I know who's successfully having one.

If you wanna ask about my situation and how it may apply to you in more depth then feel free.
Reply 9
I came to university with my girlfriend - it was always a joint thing. We split up a couple of weeks ago; apparantly she's attracted to other people. The one piece of advice I can offer you is this: You go to the university that you want to go to, and don't think in terms of being with your girlfriend.

The thing is I compromised on my choice of Uni and believe me you will have a favourite, and now I'm stuck at the university I came to with my ex-girlfriend and because I'm on the same course I will see her nearly everyday. Isn't life just great!

Girls in particular think and act different at uni (not all but quite a few), and use it as an opportunity to experience new and different things, and that includes men.

Don't get me wrong, you and your girlfriend may do very well together at uni and yes you can sleep in each others bed.

But it's YOUR future you must thing about and do the best thing for you, not your girlfriend. Go for the best course and university for you. Long Distance Relationships do work if the relationship is strong enough - there is a guy I know who's successfully having one.

If you wanna ask about my situation and how it may apply to you in more depth then feel free.
Reply 10
Phew, thought I was going to have to do a lecture on how securing your future by going to a uni with a good reputation and that you like should take priority over being near your girlfriend, but everyone's done it already :smile:.

And yes, lots of people have sex at uni but no, girlfriend or not you can't be noisy about it. You'll have to wait until you're alone/rich enough to have a house of your own before you can do all that. It's fine for people to stay over, it's all a respect thing really.

Being together at uni is hard, and I don't think that struggling with it because you are so close/so far apart says anything about your relationship either, it's just standard. Realistically, if she's 'the one' (pah, no such thing) then being far away won't matter. It will be possibly be hard, but it won't be enough for you to stop seeing her. Or alternatively, you could be all cold and practical about it and say that if you just break up for now, get yourself set up for the next few years you can be together once you're both in a more settling down kind of situation. Either approach is fine, just try not to let your current situation influence what is definitely going to have long term impact.

End of lecture (that I did anyway despite not needing to).

Cxx
Reply 11
Phew, thought I was going to have to do a lecture on how securing your future by going to a uni with a good reputation and that you like should take priority over being near your girlfriend, but everyone's done it already :smile:.

And yes, lots of people have sex at uni but no, girlfriend or not you can't be noisy about it. You'll have to wait until you're alone/rich enough to have a house of your own before you can do all that. It's fine for people to stay over, it's all a respect thing really.

Being together at uni is hard, and I don't think that struggling with it because you are so close/so far apart says anything about your relationship either, it's just standard. Realistically, if she's 'the one' (pah, no such thing) then being far away won't matter. It will be possibly be hard, but it won't be enough for you to stop seeing her. Or alternatively, you could be all cold and practical about it and say that if you just break up for now, get yourself set up for the next few years you can be together once you're both in a more settling down kind of situation. Either approach is fine, just try not to let your current situation influence what is definitely going to have long term impact.

End of lecture (that I did anyway despite not needing to).

Cxx
I disagree,

you and your own hard work alone makes the qualifications you get, no matter what uni you goto. I think if you really love her going to the same uni would be a good thing, I know loads of people who split up after going to seperate unis, So much temptation whilst your apart and can't do much with your hornyness can only lead to trouble.

How these people can say "If its ment to work, its ment to work" and things even if you're at opposite ends of the country. Relationships are about intimacy. The only thing you'd be getting intimate with if you were at opposite ends of the country is your phone bill.

If you died tommorow, you would of regreted not seeing your girlfriend so much.
I disagree,

you and your own hard work alone makes the qualifications you get, no matter what uni you goto. I think if you really love her going to the same uni would be a good thing, I know loads of people who split up after going to seperate unis, So much temptation whilst your apart and can't do much with your hornyness can only lead to trouble.

How these people can say "If its ment to work, its ment to work" and things even if you're at opposite ends of the country. Relationships are about intimacy. The only thing you'd be getting intimate with if you were at opposite ends of the country is your phone bill.

If you died tommorow, you would of regreted not seeing your girlfriend so much.
Reply 14
El Scotto
I disagree, you and your own hard work alone makes the qualifications you get, no matter what uni you goto.

That is a tad naive.

The reality is that a degree from the London Met, Wolverhampton, Bolton or any of the other "bottom 10" universities will damage your career hugely when compared to a degree from Cambridge, Imperial, Edinburghone or any of the top ten universities.
Reply 15
El Scotto
I disagree, you and your own hard work alone makes the qualifications you get, no matter what uni you goto.

That is a tad naive.

The reality is that a degree from the London Met, Wolverhampton, Bolton or any of the other "bottom 10" universities will damage your career hugely when compared to a degree from Cambridge, Imperial, Edinburghone or any of the top ten universities.
Reply 16
Agree, go to the best uni you can possibly get into. You or your girlf will do a lot of growing up whilst at uni and you may find you grow apart from each other. If its meant to be then it will be but don't feel you have to stay together (at uni).

BTW you're only 17 - what the hell are you doing making decisions whiCh will affect the rest of your life dependant on who you're snogging at the moment?
Reply 17
Agree, go to the best uni you can possibly get into. You or your girlf will do a lot of growing up whilst at uni and you may find you grow apart from each other. If its meant to be then it will be but don't feel you have to stay together (at uni).

BTW you're only 17 - what the hell are you doing making decisions whiCh will affect the rest of your life dependant on who you're snogging at the moment?
Reply 18
hey
do whats right for you in regards to education. Make sure its the course you want at the right uni and that your not just off to uni for ur GF. i am at the same uni as my GF and to be totally honest feel i made a mistake. I came to this uni to stay with her but things change mate. u may grow apart as youl meet different people but if ur at the uni for the right reasons then this should not be a problem. some halls do say that people arnt allowed to stay over but this is mostly ignored. again, it should not be a problem for u and ur GF to spend nights at each others. It may be hard for you to stay 2gether but then again it may be easy. If its ment to be its ment to be. things happen for a reason
Reply 19
hey
do whats right for you in regards to education. Make sure its the course you want at the right uni and that your not just off to uni for ur GF. i am at the same uni as my GF and to be totally honest feel i made a mistake. I came to this uni to stay with her but things change mate. u may grow apart as youl meet different people but if ur at the uni for the right reasons then this should not be a problem. some halls do say that people arnt allowed to stay over but this is mostly ignored. again, it should not be a problem for u and ur GF to spend nights at each others. It may be hard for you to stay 2gether but then again it may be easy. If its ment to be its ment to be. things happen for a reason

Latest

Trending

Trending