University views on A-level re-sits

Watch this thread
MizzPoly
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
How do universities view A-level re-sits, specifically any of the top 10 unis? If you score a higher grade in a re-sit, do they completely disregard your previous grade (even if it was higher before?!) or do they take everything into consideration?
intellectual1
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 years ago
Increasingly so some highly competitive univerisities and courses are demanding a breakdown of individual unit UMS scores. Cambridge is well known to demand AS unit scores, as are some courses at LSE and many other prestigious universities and courses are making use of unit UMS scores.

Your best UMS score counts, if you took an AS exam in Jan of Year 12, you could resit that in June Year 12 and the better grade would count. Similarly if you did not certificate your AS in Year 12, you could take the AS units again in January of Year 13 and if you felt the need for further improvement in the final June Year 13, where you would be certificating. If you certificated the AS-Level, you can still resit a AS unit and re-certificate the AS-Level.

Only the best UMS score counts, although after you've certificated the A-Level, it is known to universities that you did units again. So it should'nt matter much at all, just aim for the highest UMS scores on the first attempt. If you're aiming for the most competitive courses and universities, then you may well be rejected, especially for Medicine, where they are very strict about retakes.
muffingg
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by MizzPoly)
How do universities view A-level re-sits, specifically any of the top 10 unis? If you score a higher grade in a re-sit, do they completely disregard your previous grade (even if it was higher before?!) or do they take everything into consideration?
It really depends on the uni. Even the top unis themselves. Some of them don't have any issues while others wouldn't accept re-sits. If you want to know about specific unis, I suggest you contact them and ask them. It might even be different from course to course.
MizzPoly
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I really hope I won't have to re-sit anything next year...
fallout201
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by MizzPoly)
I'm in my gap year at the moment and resat my exams, i got ABB in year 12 and I now have AAB. These aren't top 10 universities, but definitely top 20, York, Southampton and Leeds gave me a typical offer that they would've offered most current year 13's. However, I wouldn't even bother with Oxbridge, Warwick, LSE etc if you are resitting.

Oh, and I know a few people that have resat exams during their gap year and still have gained places to study medicine. So you won't really be in a bad situation if you need to resit, however I would avoid it at all costs (it makes life a lot easier).
intellectual1
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
I know people that have gained offers for Oxford and LSE and missed their grades with B-U grades in some subjects and still gained an offer the following year. An A*/A is an A*/A regardless of whether you retake it or achieve it the first time although it looks far more impressive when achieved first time. Medical schools do accept retakes, but those tend to be the ones far less elitist, avoid the more established prestigious Medical schools. Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL, Warwick, Durham, Bristol, you can always get in, however for some extremely competitive subjects, it depends upon the interview and overall UCAS app. Resitting a year is not bad at all, as long as you gain the grades and improve significantly.
musicfreak2410
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
I am currently re-taking year 13 and I got an offer from Nottingham to study this September. Whilst I was considering re-sitting, I e-mailed a few universities. UCL and KCL, as you can imagine, were pretty rude and told me they wouldn't consider me, but Oxford, Southampton, Warwick, Nottingham, York and UEA all said they would consider me like everybody else. Of course, this still doesn't mean you'll get an offer, but it's just reassuring to know they would still consider me.

Re-taking a year is tough, you get to a point where you feel pretty down about things, like all your friends being at university whilst you're at home studying the same stuff, but honestly, there is no point settling for a rubbish university. Re-taking my exams was the best thing I ever did. I hope all works out for you!
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by fallout201)
I'm in my gap year at the moment and resat my exams, i got ABB in year 12 and I now have AAB. These aren't top 10 universities, but definitely top 20, York, Southampton and Leeds gave me a typical offer that they would've offered most current year 13's. However, I wouldn't even bother with Oxbridge, Warwick, LSE etc if you are resitting.

Oh, and I know a few people that have resat exams during their gap year and still have gained places to study medicine. So you won't really be in a bad situation if you need to resit, however I would avoid it at all costs (it makes life a lot easier).
Actually Oxford & Warwick will accept resit candidates. I know of at least three people who got offers from Warwick conditional upon resit results in a 3rd year of A-Levels, and someone who got an offer from Oxford with AAB + who was resitting an A-Level & taking on a new one in a 3rd year of 6th form.
jelly1000
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
OP: If your talking about resits during the 2 years of 6th form, very few universities are bothered, except perhaps Cambridge & LSE.
Regarding resits in a gap year, inveitably some universities are fussy about this. A few people who were resitting on gap years on TSR contacted universities to ask their oppinion about it.

The universities which expressly declared they wouldn't accept resit candidates were: UCL, LSE, Manchester for English, St Andrews & Edinburgh. Warwick also said they wouldn't however they have given out offers to resit candidates.

For full details see the first page of the Reapplicant Solidarity Thread in the Applications & UCAS forum.
fallout201
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
Actually Oxford & Warwick will accept resit candidates. I know of at least three people who got offers from Warwick conditional upon resit results in a 3rd year of A-Levels, and someone who got an offer from Oxford with AAB + who was resitting an A-Level & taking on a new one in a 3rd year of 6th form.
Ah, I assumed the OP was talking about resits after the normal two years not within it. In that case, yeah they won't mind
jelly1000
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by fallout201)
Ah, I assumed the OP was talking about resits after the normal two years not within it. In that case, yeah they won't mind
No I was talking about offers after the normal 2 years. Thats why I said resits in a 3rd year of 6th form.
bakamo
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
I have done like two resits in Year 12 but still manage to get offers from Bristol and Nottingham so i think it really depends on the uni and two people from my sixth form did resits and still manage to get offers from Cambridge. I think it depends on the course your applying for and the uni.
Good Luck!
callumjsmith
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Hi there
This is great to hear ! I was predicted AABB this year at AS but my exam timing was terrible due to the unnecessary pressure I put upon myself. The top university's I'm aiming for are the likes of Warwick, Nottingham and Sheffield, so I just hope that the circumstances of me having another go at getting A's won't drastically affect my application. I have emailed Warwick and they said that ''V500 Phiosophy at Warwick does not have any restrictions concerning retaking exams or resitting of modules. I can confirm that if you were to apply to Warwick, the retaking your AS Levels would in no way affect your application.'' It would be disappointing because I feel that I already have a very strong application for Philosophy. My mock exams have been A's and B's and my English Literature coursework is an A. Would you suggest a tutor for a retake year/ module ?
jelly1000
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by callumjsmith)
Hi there
This is great to hear ! I was predicted AABB this year at AS but my exam timing was terrible due to the unnecessary pressure I put upon myself. The top university's I'm aiming for are the likes of Warwick, Nottingham and Sheffield, so I just hope that the circumstances of me having another go at getting A's won't drastically affect my application. I have emailed Warwick and they said that ''V500 Phiosophy at Warwick does not have any restrictions concerning retaking exams or resitting of modules. I can confirm that if you were to apply to Warwick, the retaking your AS Levels would in no way affect your application.'' It would be disappointing because I feel that I already have a very strong application for Philosophy. My mock exams have been A's and B's and my English Literature coursework is an A. Would you suggest a tutor for a retake year/ module ?
Glad to hear Warwick are still fine about retakes, Nottingham and Sheffield shouldn't be a problem either. Just make sure you have a back up choice you want to go to incase retakes don't go to plan. I'm assuming you'll be back at school again for the AS's? You only really need a tutor if you didn't understand lots of it, as opposed to not doing well in the actual exams.
callumjsmith
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Glad to hear Warwick are still fine about retakes, Nottingham and Sheffield shouldn't be a problem either. Just make sure you have a back up choice you want to go to incase retakes don't go to plan. I'm assuming you'll be back at school again for the AS's? You only really need a tutor if you didn't understand lots of it, as opposed to not doing well in the actual exams.
I think If the retakes don't go to plan and I don't get my predicted AAB, then I will possibly rethink studying philosophy and take a more vocational route if I can't get into a Russell group university. In answer to your question, yes I will be back at school again for the AS's, however I just need to wait until results day to truly know what the next step will be. If I only have say 1 or 2 subjects that need retaken then I will try and retake them during my A2. One last question, if I get my results this year and they aren't at my requirements, can I simply wait, retake during A2, and then apply at the end of A2 ?
jelly1000
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I think If the retakes don't go to plan and I don't get my predicted AAB, then I will possibly rethink studying philosophy and take a more vocational route if I can't get into a Russell group university. In answer to your question, yes I will be back at school again for the AS's, however I just need to wait until results day to truly know what the next step will be. If I only have say 1 or 2 subjects that need retaken then I will try and retake them during my A2. One last question, if I get my results this year and they aren't at my requirements, can I simply wait, retake during A2, and then apply at the end of A2 ?
By at the end of A2 do you mean the academic year after? In which case of course, you don't have to apply whilst still in school or college.
callumjsmith
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
By at the end of A2 do you mean the academic year after? In which case of course, you don't have to apply whilst still in school or college.
Yeh that's what I meant. Thank's for giving some good advice. Some people can be real *******s if you even mention the word 'retake' hahahahah.
jelly1000
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Yeh that's what I meant. Thank's for giving some good advice. Some people can be real *******s if you even mention the word 'retake' hahahahah.
Just remember you still need an academic reference from a tutor so keep on good terms with your current place.
callumjsmith
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Just remember you still need an academic reference from a tutor so keep on good terms with your current place.
Will do
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (38)
18.27%
The paper was reasonable (76)
36.54%
Not feeling great about that exam... (58)
27.88%
It was TERRIBLE (36)
17.31%

Watched Threads