Is the fear of spiders rational or irrational? Watch

Katiechops
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Okay,
So after spotting a spider in my room which was 7cms long (my dad measured), with big black hairy legs and a massive body, would you say that the fear if spiders is rational, or irrational?
Im not entirely sure on the answer, comment away!
nikki_aiyana
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
well for you that could be perfectly rational...
for me, it depends on where I am... big f*cking spider in my room = scream the place down...
Big f*cking spider in a friends room = laugh my head off and get given a hoover to suck it up with because everyone is scared and running away lol...
a fear is has you opinionate it... not how anyone else opinionates it... if you think its a rational fear, then allow yourself to, my fear of them is deffinately irrational though... seeing as its an inconsistent fear lol
k3ro
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Irrational. Spiders can't hurt us!

(I admit, I'm terrified of them too.)
Broderss
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Rational. Have you seen those ****ing long spindly ******* legs?!
sweety0471
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think it is classed as an irrational fear, as its probably not likely to cause any harm or cause for being scared, but soo many people have fear of spiders of all sizes its kind of accepted
Ewan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Rational... some spiders can kill you. Perhaps those in the UK cannot but our instincts do not differentiate between house and black widow spiders...

It's like asking is being scared of heights rational? Well it's not rational in the sense that you're unlikely to fall off something, but it's also rational in the sense that if you did fall you'd be dead.
NoobWithMoobs
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It depends. If you see a spider, are you in control? Can you tell yourself, "this is just a spider, I'm bigger than it, I'm not afraid" or do you panic and start running around screaming?
If you can control it, I'd say it is rational.

I have a massive fear of wasps; I can't control it, as soon as I see one I go insane with fear, unable to tell myself that I'm bigger than it and that its just an insect that I can swat if necesary. Basically the fear takes control. And that I believe is irrational.
BlackVenom
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Mice are worse
Hylean
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ewan)
Rational... some spiders can kill you. Perhaps those in the UK cannot but our instincts do not differentiate between house and black widow spiders...

It's like asking is being scared of heights rational? Well it's not rational in the sense that you're unlikely to fall off something, but it's also rational in the sense that if you did fall you'd be dead.
Fear of spiders is more common in areas where there are no poisonous spiders, though, and thus it is more likely to be a taught fear than an instinctive one.

It's irrational.
IFondledAGibbon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Obviously it's irrational, they can't hurt you. There are rational explanations for the fear though. Something to do with vicarious reinforcement when watching parents or siblings when you're young.
Emmak7
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by BlackVenom)
Mice are worse
huge black flying cockroaches are the worst.
abbyalice
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I say rational.
Holly Hiskey
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ewan)

On a slightly related note- my lecturer for invertebrates at uni comes from Argentina and says that over there they have a black spider that looks exactly like our house spider but is insanely poisonous. She said that after moving to England she spent about 3 years running out of the house screaming every time she saw a spider before she eventually got used to it.
As for being scared of heights- the fear itself is rational, my reaction to it is not!
EDIT Just realised that I quoted you on the other thread too Sorry!
Paul McCartney
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Rational :afraid:
mau5
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tobia_s
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Rational! Ever had one of the really hairy ones crawl up your arm? :afraid:
Aurora.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Technically, biologically and psychologically speaking, the fear of spiders is irrational. So it can be classed as a phobia.

The fear of being bitten by a poisonous spider is completely rational.

It's like how a fear of flying is irrational (so a phobia) but a fear of crashing makes complete sense.
Zottula
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well they do bite, (I have been bitten 3 times now, my own fault for picking them up really) but unless they're poisonous it doesn't do much harm.
Emaemmaemily
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's probably an instict left over from when we weren't civilized. In other parts of the world spiders CAN kill you.
But being scared of a silly little thing sat in a house in the UK - irrational.
areonite
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by NoobWithMoobs)
It depends. If you see a spider, are you in control? Can you tell yourself, "this is just a spider, I'm bigger than it, I'm not afraid" or do you panic and start running around screaming?
If you can control it, I'd say it is rational.

I have a massive fear of wasps; I can't control it, as soon as I see one I go insane with fear, unable to tell myself that I'm bigger than it and that its just an insect that I can swat if necesary. Basically the fear takes control. And that I believe is irrational.
I just wanted to define the meaning of "rational" and "irrational" fear, because a lot of people here seem confused!

A "rational" fear is a fear of something that poses a real threat to you, that it actually makes sense to be afraid of, for example being afraid of being shot in the head by a person pointing a gun at you is rational.

An "irrational" fear is a fear of something that does not pose any real threat to you, for example, a fear of harmless British house spiders. However, I agree with the poster who said it may stem from a rational fear of venomous animals.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (213)
60%
No (142)
40%

Watched Threads