The Student Room Group

WJEC AS & A2 Biology

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Sausage1

Original post by Sausage1
I am only doing unit 1 at the moment :tongue: I've only just started so yeh. How many exams do you have this January? I bet it's all stacking up for you, I'm pooping it for all the summer exams . :s-smilie:

Biology Unit 1 is piss easy compared to Unit 2. And Unit 4 is just sickening! Yeah but cause I've already learnt the stuff, I find it easier now. Yeah June exams at AS are a bitch, especially if you have resits :tongue:
Reply 381
Guys does anyone have the BY2 paper from june 2011? Would be much much appreciated!!!
Please help me! In BY4 I don't understand how the loop of henle works!

It says the loop of henle allows urine to be excreted that is more concentrated than the blood but in the mechanism it says that as ions diffuse out of the Scending limb, the filtrate becomes more dilute :s

Please can somebody help me, my exams tomorrow lol
Original post by thelooby94
Please help me! In BY4 I don't understand how the loop of henle works!

It says the loop of henle allows urine to be excreted that is more concentrated than the blood but in the mechanism it says that as ions diffuse out of the Scending limb, the filtrate becomes more dilute :s

Please can somebody help me, my exams tomorrow lol

Only NaCl difuses out of the ascending limb through active transport. This makes the medulla have a lower water potential. That way water in the loop of henle wants to diffure out by osmosis down the water potential gradient.
There fore: Water diffuses through osmosis out of the DESCENDING LIMB
: NaCl diffuses by active transport out through the ASCENDING LIMB
The filtrate becomes more concentrated as water leaves the filtrate leaving more urea and other ions in the filtrate.
Descending limb is impermeable to NaCl
Ascending limb is impermeable to water
Hope I helped :biggrin: If not just ask
Reply 384
Dreading this exam tomorrow morning.
Reply 385
I'm not feeling too confident about this one but it would be handy to know what everyone thought of the paper afterwards.
Good luck everyone!
Reply 386
good luck everyone not very confident just realised some extra things on the syllabus ! like lipids and proteins in respiration instead of glwcose, and left out the spinal cord for some reason :frown:
Reply 387
how did u think it went, thought it was quite horrible especially the population graph
I thought it was okay, I thought it was a different style. The population graph was very weird. I asked my teacher why lactate was lower population than gluocse and she said it had less carbons meaning less energy available for the bacteria which is what I wrote. (Hopefully she was right)!

it was a very weird paper.
Oops, repost. :smile:
Reply 390
I knew lactose was a disaccharide so had to be broken down to the 2 monosaccharides it was made from before it could be used in respiration but couldnt remember what they were :/ and generally hate describing graph Q its all about the style you write it! i thought it overall went quite well :smile: the essays werent my fave did B) in the end its worrying as i may need an A* in biology for my durham course which im just on right now argh it hope i didnt drop too many marks!
Reply 391
Some of those micrographs were a piece of **** , seriously, couldn't see anything in them. Overall was abit confusing compared to previous papers :rolleyes:
Reply 392
Original post by WildBerry
Some of those micrographs were a piece of **** , seriously, couldn't see anything in them. Overall was abit confusing compared to previous papers :rolleyes:

the cortex one i could just about make out the meddula didnt look like there was anything in there and all i could think of was collecting duct and loop of henle the Q was worth 3 marks -.- even though BY4 is a synoptic paper this paper had more than its fair share of synoptic Q i think will = lower grade boundaries :smile:
Easy and straightforward paper in my opinion.
Reply 394
Original post by emma mw
I knew lactose was a disaccharide so had to be broken down to the 2 monosaccharides it was made from before it could be used in respiration but couldnt remember what they were :/ and generally hate describing graph Q its all about the style you write it! i thought it overall went quite well :smile: the essays werent my fave did B) in the end its worrying as i may need an A* in biology for my durham course which im just on right now argh it hope i didnt drop too many marks!

o god i lost all the available marks on that section, i had no idea so i said stuff about primary and secondry metabloite --- dont ask! on the second question did u mention generic things on a population chart aswell , like the different stages?
Original post by rsp
o god i lost all the available marks on that section, i had no idea so i said stuff about primary and secondry metabloite --- dont ask! on the second question did u mention generic things on a population chart aswell , like the different stages?

Yup I did.
Reply 396
Original post by rsp

yeah i did also! and dw i blanked on what monosaccharides made up lactose so wont of done that great either, too vauge for the markscheme i think my answer was :smile: oh well the second part i did talk about stuff like log exponential phase stationary yeah :smile: and used some times/figures from the graph which are marks you'll beable to still access :smile: i talked a bit about the lactose glucose thing but not much
Reply 397
Original post by WelshLewis!
Easy and straightforward paper in my opinion.

haha well done for you ... it wasnt THAT straightforward i've seen alot of easier papers, in comparison this one was more triksy than even some of the ones with low grade boundaries i thought, but overall pretty decent 120 ums should be coming your way then.
Original post by emma mw
haha well done for you ... it wasnt THAT straightforward i've seen alot of easier papers, in comparison this one was more triksy than even some of the ones with low grade boundaries i thought, but overall pretty decent 120 ums should be coming your way then.

That would be nice! Normally I do find that It's difficult in WJEC exams to work out what exactly they're asking you but today I just sort of understood it all.
And I suppose I hadn't completed my revision at the time I did the previous papers so this paper would seem easier.
Anyway, hope you get the result you want :smile:
Reply 399
Original post by emma mw
yeah i did also! and dw i blanked on what monosaccharides made up lactose so wont of done that great either, too vauge for the markscheme i think my answer was :smile: oh well the second part i did talk about stuff like log exponential phase stationary yeah :smile: and used some times/figures from the graph which are marks you'll beable to still access :smile: i talked a bit about the lactose glucose thing but not much

ye i said taht sort of stuff so hopefully picked up a few here and there :smile: what grade do you want overall in biology , will you be happy with an A oppose to A*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending