The Student Room Group

Do I need a new passport to apply for student finance?

For some reason I've put off applying for finance until now and I've just realised I'll probably need to use my passport at some point. Unfortunately, mine expired last month. ****. I highly doubt there is time to send off for a new passport and have it delivered before the finance deadline, so do I need one to apply? What happens if you don't have a valid passport?
I think you can use birth certificate instead; it's what my friend's done. I was in a similar position, sent off for a new passport and it came really quick like in 4-5 days so I was lucky :biggrin:
Reply 2
If you dont have a valid passport you need to send an original birth certificate I think
Reply 3
Your passport does need to be valid, if you don't have a valid one then you will need to submit your birth certificate and a declaration that must be signed by a professional that has known you for at least 2 years. Declaration can be found here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_195679.pdf and the list of suitable people to sign here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@educ/documents/digitalasset/dg_186312.pdf
Reply 4
Original post by flipshot
Your passport does need to be valid, if you don't have a valid one then you will need to submit your birth certificate and a declaration that must be signed by a professional that has known you for at least 2 years. Declaration can be found here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_195679.pdf and the list of suitable people to sign here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@educ/documents/digitalasset/dg_186312.pdf

Hiah, my passport has expired aswell... so if i do do all the steps you have said, where do i send that application off to and how long will the reply back?
Reply 5
Original post by JH-QC
For some reason I've put off applying for finance until now and I've just realised I'll probably need to use my passport at some point. Unfortunately, mine expired last month. ****. I highly doubt there is time to send off for a new passport and have it delivered before the finance deadline, so do I need one to apply? What happens if you don't have a valid passport?

A passport renewal usually won't take any longer than two weeks, it only took a week last time I did it, so if you get it sent off now then you might be okay. You have until the end of May right?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Cll_ws
A passport renewal usually won't take any longer than two weeks, it only took a week last time I did it, so if you get it sent off now then you might be okay. You have until the end of May right?

Thanks, i have taken new passport photos n i should have the forms sent off on monday coz sunday the post office is closed... i hope they send it back within the first week or so
Reply 7
Original post by Cll_ws

Yeah its may 31st... thanks for the reply btw, it helped alot
Reply 8
Original post by hotdog95
Thanks, i have taken new passport photos n i should have the forms sent off on monday coz sunday the post office is closed... i hope they send it back within the first week or so

No problem. Also, the Post Office has a check and send service which helps speed up the whole process. It costs something like £8 extra, which I know is quite a lot, but they check your forms and photos for you and make sure that they meet the requirements, and then they send it off by next day special delivery. I used it and I had my new one within a week. It might be something worth looking into.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
guys i need help becoz i dont have a valid passport and my birth certificate is in my home country, so what am i supposed to do, but passport is also havin a issues, so wat ami supposed to do
(edited 10 years ago)
Did you sort it in the end? 6 years later and I'm in the same predicament!!
Original post by salini1995
guys i need help becoz i dont have a valid passport and my birth certificate is in my home country, so what am i supposed to do, but passport is also havin a issues, so wat ami supposed to do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending