This discussion is closed.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
the maximum for FAT32 isn't 32GB. i know, because i have a 160GB Fat32 volume. I used to have NTFS but i dont like it because it kept on fekking up for me.
EI_123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by me!)
can't you just partition the hardrive so you have a system partition and then another one for your files so when you install XP it won't affect your files...
I think you can but it isn't worth, FAT 32 is almost obsolete.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
the maximum for FAT32 isn't 32GB. i know, because i have a 160GB Fat32 volume. I used to have NTFS but i dont like it because it kept on fekking up for me.
I haven't tried, I'm not talking of my personal experience, just what I've read a couple of minutes ago in several pages.

http://www.ntfs.com/fat-32structure.htm
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Eternal Idol)
I haven't tried, I'm not talking of my personal experience, just what I've read a couple of minutes ago in several pages.

http://www.ntfs.com/fat-32structure.htm
yes, i red the exact same pages before, and they said 2TB: http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
yes, i red the exact same pages before, and they said 2TB: http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm
iom just saying ive got FAT32 because a few weeks ago my NTFSfekked up and i had to reformat my HDD, and i chose to have it on FAT32 instead, but i think i might change it back soon.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
You are right, my mistake, I confused volume and file size.
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Eternal Idol)
You are right, my mistake, I confused volume and file size.
no worries. as i said, i think NTFS is better, the only reason i have FAT32 is to be better safe than sorry.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
no worries. as i said, i think NTFS is better, the only reason i have FAT32 is to be better safe than sorry.
For my own experience working with HD as a normal user NTFS works faster but who knows, I wouldn't try it in a 1990 hd of 50mb hehe.
Ollie
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i do quite like windows xp but not when it eats itself and dies on me (as it did the other day)
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
i do quite like windows xp but not when it eats itself and dies on me (as it did the other day)
it eats itself!!!!! maybe you should take it to a counselor (sp)
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
maybe the german cannibal has struck again
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
maybe the german cannibal has struck again
urg no... I don't get how someone could do that, it made me feel sick
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tribi18)
Is Windows XP good?
Whats features does it have on it?
I have windows 1998 and have got the full evrision of winodws XP - does that mean if i install it all my memory will be over wrote?
Should i just get an upgrade?

Thanks,
No offence intended but from your posts, I think I am safe in saying that you are no computer expert. I would advise that you get someone who is to do this for you otherwise you may end up loosing your files and having a computer that doesn't work.
ShOcKzZ
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
No offence intended but from your posts, I think I am safe in saying that you are no computer expert. I would advise that you get someone who is to do this for you otherwise you may end up loosing your files and having a computer that doesn't work.
lol
Dickie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
It doesnt delete any memory, do you mean files? If you install XP pro it will as you have to reformat your HDD in order to install it(as far as I know). If you get XP home it will do a standard upgrade like any of the other OS's
thats wrong.

You can install XP (either version!) to a fat32 partition, an you can get it to upgrade an older version of windows. But, that leaves loads of things lying around, and makes it very slow, and less stable.

Best advice is to back up to a cd, then when you install make two NTFS partitions, one for data and one for the OS and programs. That way, you dont lose your data if windows dies.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (105)
43.75%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (39)
16.25%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (91)
37.92%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
2.08%

Watched Threads