Food Myths that somehow continue...

Watch
Squidgyness
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Well, thought I'd start a thread about food myths that are still around in some places!

So... here is one to start off!

Diet Coke 'makes you fat' so its just the same to have normal coke - The lamest justification for drinking sugared drinks I have ever heard.

EDIT: Suppose I should clarify this - obviously drinking NOTHING BUT Diet coke isnt good. I meant like at lunchtime, when someone gets a drink, say with their sandwich, and chooses the sugary version instead of diet.

Another mith that personally affected me, that I have been reminded of by another post is that crusts make your hair curly. Led to a kind of mind-block until recently on eating crusts.

Now, get posting :P
CapnHooch
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That getting a salad from McDonalds is the equivalent of eating healthy.
clo-clo1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That eating late or before bed makes you put on weight
Stratos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Coke and Fanta are different brands.

Anyway what is interesting is that Coca Cola apparently puts mercury in their drinks, now isn't that worrying? Albeit it's only a minuscule amount.

edit; why all the neg rep?
Delta Aitch
Badges: 13
Report 10 years ago
When I was younger, a girl told me that eating apricots gave you diarrhoea

..and while I know it's not true, it has forever tainted me against apricots :sad: I can only now just about eat an apricot flavoured Petit Filous without thinking bad thoughts.
dnumberwang
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I remember someone on this site in the food and drink forum making up a story about his local Chinese restaurant taking dogs from the streets and cooking them :rofl: :toofunny:
neillya1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Celery = Negative calories. Protip - It doesn't.

Decaf has no caffeine - It actually does! It's 99.9% Caffeine free
greatmonte
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by stratos)
there's a difference between coke and pepsi.

They taste the same!
they dont
Turnerf
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Carrots help you see in the dark
Turnerf
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Stratos)
There's a difference between Coke and Pepsi.

They taste the same!
helll no they don'tt
ChaoticMaster
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by clo-clo1)
This isn't completly false. Eating carbs late at night produces insulin which in turn promotes fat storage whilst you sleep.
Turnerf
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Squidgyness)
Well, thought I'd start a thread about food myths that are still around in some places!

Diet Coke 'makes you fat' so its just the same to have normal coke - The lamest justification for drinking sugared drinks I have ever heard.

question...
isnt diet coke good for you just as a one off. but if you have diet coke every day, its bad. it has the same amount of suger + waayyyyy more acid, which screws up your tummy??
Preeka
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well this isn't exactly a myth but I remember someone telling me Sunny D was banned because someone had too much and it made them go all orange. I don't know why I didn't question it and for the longest time just thought it to be true until it came up in a recent conversation and I ended up looking really stupid and gullible :p:

EDIT: I think it was because the girl who told me had quite a serious nature and wasn't the type to pull one over on anyone so the only other justification is she genuinely believed it too. Gives me some consolation lol.
Turnerf
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by clo-clo1)

i swear that was true?... you just lie there not burning it off.
hense the

massive breakfast
big lunch
small dinner

equals the best thingyy for you
Stratos
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Turnerf)
helll no they don'tt
Fair enough that one didn't make much sense since I researched their ingredients and it appeared to be that they used different ingredients and methods so that's 1-0 for you.

But they still taste the same to me.
neillya1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
question...
isnt diet coke good for you just as a one off. but if you have diet coke every day, its bad. it has the same amount of suger + waayyyyy more acid, which screws up your tummy??
Diet Coke has no sugar in it.....
psychocustard
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
question...
It has no sugar in, hence, diet. That said, they've replaced the sugar with sweeteners which aren't exactly great for you either.
wonderingwot2do
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Squidgyness)

The body isn't designed to differentiate between natural and artificial sugars therefore it is possible that diet coke drinkers' bodies can believe they're having sweet sugary drinks and store some sugars that it does receive as fat. Saw it on a documentary a while back (don't ask which, i watch too many).

The chemicals aren't good for you either; there again, neither is normal coke good for you! lol
nadiah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Cheese gives you nightmares

Bull****, it just gives you more vivid dreams :P I am a MASSIVE cheese eater and every time I have a nightmare SOMEONE has to suggest it's the cheese Leave my cheese alone dammit!
Turnerf
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Stratos)
Fair enough that one didn't make much sense since I researched their ingredients and it appeared to be that they used different ingredients and methods so that's 1-0 for you.

But they still taste the same to me.

pepsi is soo much more sweeter though!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (71)
37.77%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (18)
9.57%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.38%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (47)
25%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
13.3%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
7.98%

Watched Threads