The Student Room Group

Food Myths that somehow continue...

Well, thought I'd start a thread about food myths that are still around in some places!

So... here is one to start off!

Diet Coke 'makes you fat' so its just the same to have normal coke - The lamest justification for drinking sugared drinks I have ever heard.

EDIT: Suppose I should clarify this - obviously drinking NOTHING BUT Diet coke isnt good. I meant like at lunchtime, when someone gets a drink, say with their sandwich, and chooses the sugary version instead of diet.

Another mith that personally affected me, that I have been reminded of by another post is that crusts make your hair curly. Led to a kind of mind-block until recently on eating crusts.

Now, get posting :P
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That getting a salad from McDonalds is the equivalent of eating healthy.
Reply 2
That eating late or before bed makes you put on weight
Reply 3
Coke and Fanta are different brands.

Anyway what is interesting is that Coca Cola apparently puts mercury in their drinks, now isn't that worrying? Albeit it's only a minuscule amount.

edit; why all the neg rep?
(edited 12 years ago)
When I was younger, a girl told me that eating apricots gave you diarrhoea :colonhash:

..and while I know it's not true, it has forever tainted me against apricots :sad: I can only now just about eat an apricot flavoured Petit Filous without thinking bad thoughts.
I remember someone on this site in the food and drink forum making up a story about his local Chinese restaurant taking dogs from the streets and cooking them :rofl: :toofunny:
Reply 6
Celery = Negative calories. Protip - It doesn't.

Decaf has no caffeine - It actually does! It's 99.9% Caffeine free :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by stratos
there's a difference between coke and pepsi.

They taste the same!

they dont
Reply 8
Carrots help you see in the dark
Reply 9
Original post by Stratos
There's a difference between Coke and Pepsi.

They taste the same!

helll no they don'tt
Original post by clo-clo1

This isn't completly false. Eating carbs late at night produces insulin which in turn promotes fat storage whilst you sleep.
Reply 11
Original post by Squidgyness
Well, thought I'd start a thread about food myths that are still around in some places!

Diet Coke 'makes you fat' so its just the same to have normal coke - The lamest justification for drinking sugared drinks I have ever heard.

question...
isnt diet coke good for you just as a one off. but if you have diet coke every day, its bad. it has the same amount of suger + waayyyyy more acid, which screws up your tummy??
Reply 12
Well this isn't exactly a myth but I remember someone telling me Sunny D was banned because someone had too much and it made them go all orange. I don't know why I didn't question it and for the longest time just thought it to be true until it came up in a recent conversation and I ended up looking really stupid and gullible :p:

EDIT: I think it was because the girl who told me had quite a serious nature and wasn't the type to pull one over on anyone so the only other justification is she genuinely believed it too. Gives me some consolation lol.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by clo-clo1

i swear that was true?... you just lie there not burning it off.
hense the

massive breakfast
big lunch
small dinner

equals the best thingyy for you
Reply 14
Original post by Turnerf
helll no they don'tt

Fair enough that one didn't make much sense since I researched their ingredients and it appeared to be that they used different ingredients and methods so that's 1-0 for you. :biggrin:

But they still taste the same to me.
Reply 15
Original post by Turnerf
question...
isnt diet coke good for you just as a one off. but if you have diet coke every day, its bad. it has the same amount of suger + waayyyyy more acid, which screws up your tummy??

Diet Coke has no sugar in it.....
Original post by Turnerf
question...

It has no sugar in, hence, diet. That said, they've replaced the sugar with sweeteners which aren't exactly great for you either.
Original post by Squidgyness

The body isn't designed to differentiate between natural and artificial sugars therefore it is possible that diet coke drinkers' bodies can believe they're having sweet sugary drinks and store some sugars that it does receive as fat. Saw it on a documentary a while back (don't ask which, i watch too many).

The chemicals aren't good for you either; there again, neither is normal coke good for you! lol
Reply 18
Cheese gives you nightmares

Bull****, it just gives you more vivid dreams :P I am a MASSIVE cheese eater and every time I have a nightmare SOMEONE has to suggest it's the cheese :angry: Leave my cheese alone dammit!
Reply 19
Original post by Stratos
Fair enough that one didn't make much sense since I researched their ingredients and it appeared to be that they used different ingredients and methods so that's 1-0 for you. :biggrin:

But they still taste the same to me.

pepsi is soo much more sweeter though!

Quick Reply

Latest