The Student Room Group

Food Myths that somehow continue...

Scroll to see replies

white chocolate contains cocoa butter though?

i think mars bars aren't necessarily the highest GI thing? the amount of fat in them slows down the glucose rush surely? a boost, on the other hand...

and back to subway, if you had the light mayo with your turkey salad sub you'd also be getting a small amount of fat which would slow the rise in the blood sugar from the bread - as does the turkey too. (and I've eaten subway every day twice a day and maintained a low weight. nope, didn't make me fat. and i had breakfast and snacks too.)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 301
Original post by *custardcream
white chocolate contains cocoa butter though?

i think mars bars aren't necessarily the highest GI thing? the amount of fat in them slows down the glucose rush surely? a boost, on the other hand...

and back to subway, if you had the light mayo with your turkey salad sub you'd also be getting a small amount of fat which would slow the rise in the blood sugar from the bread - as does the turkey too. (and I've eaten subway every day twice a day and maintained a low weight. nope, didn't make me fat. and i had breakfast and snacks too.)

why would you eat subway for lunch and dinner every day :s-smilie: as in why would you WANT to do that?
That white chocolate is bad... When it's high in cocoa butter and lower in milk/absent of milk powder, it can be another very wonderful product. It's smooth, somewhat nutty in taste and tastes very good for you.

That tofu is disgusting. Tofu is like ricotta, mascarpone, cream, yogurt. It's not got an intense taste of it's own, but absorbs easily the flavours it is marinated in and can easily be made to taste divine.

That breakfast is the most important meal of the day, the french and italians are considered the most healthy in europe and eat a very small breakfast, the italians eat if anything, a biscuit or brioche with an espresso or cappuccino.
Original post by boba
why would you eat subway for lunch and dinner every day :s-smilie: as in why would you WANT to do that?

because if i keep food in my flat i eat it all at once and because i am addicted to their sweet onion sauce :colondollar:
Original post by TotoMimo
Asome doctors suggest the drinks might be marginally useful for people with diarrhoea caused by antibiotics or with flare-ups of inflammatory bowel disease, but effects would be otherwise negligible. Once again, nothing proven!).

Yakult is given to certain patients in hospitals.
Original post by Vikki1805
That's not a myth, it's proven true. If you eat late at night. just before you go to sleep, then you don't exercise it off, it has time to sit in your stomach and form fat. When you eat through out the day, you burn off some oft he calories, simply from walking around.

I hope you're not a biology student. Lulz
Original post by No Future
I hope you're not a biology student. Lulz

Lulz? I hope you're not studying English? :wink:
Original post by Vikki1805
Lulz? I hope you're not studying English? :wink:

Comeback fail
Reply 308
Here are some food myths that I heard of:1. Eggs is bad for you health(I'm in both sides for this one. We all know that egg brings a lot of health benefits but it has also bad content that triggers high cholesterol), 2. Butter is full of saturated fat that will clog your arteries, so margarine is a better choice(I think it depends on what do they use in making butter. Some dairy products are healthy because they contain milk and good fats), 3. Red Meat Consumption causes cancer(let me hear your reactions..hehehe), 4. eating fruits and vegetables will make your life longer(I agree with this), 5. Too much sugar, too bad(Probably, can cause diabetes).
Reply 309
Original post by jccarlos
Here are some food myths that I heard of:1. Eggs is bad for you health(I'm in both sides for this one. We all know that egg brings a lot of health benefits but it has also bad content that triggers high cholesterol), 2. Butter is full of saturated fat that will clog your arteries, so margarine is a better choice(I think it depends on what do they use in making butter. Some dairy products are healthy because they contain milk and good fats), 3. Red Meat Consumption causes cancer(let me hear your reactions..hehehe), 4. eating fruits and vegetables will make your life longer(I agree with this), 5. Too much sugar, too bad(Probably, can cause diabetes).

1. Eggs are great for you, if one were to make a top 10 foods to eat on a regular basis list; they'd possibly be top 5. Great source of protein and vitamins.

2. I think anyone with a degree of nutritional knowledge would know that margerine is absolutely terrible for your health because it contains the evil that is vegetable oil. I'd choose butter every time.

3. Red meat is an important source of zinc and men especially should aim to eat it at least once a week.

4. Vegetables >>>>> Fruit in general. Berries may be an except as they are quite nutrient dense.

5. Sugar is certainly bad for you in excess, leeching vitamins and causing cancer and the like.
Reply 310
Here's a biggie.

That saturated fat is bad for you and causes heart problems.

Only one study has actually gone into this. The results ignored HELL of a lot.

The study in question looked at the general saturated fat content of diet in different countries and the general life expectancy and heart health of the subjects IN those countries. There were a lot of ignored countries like I believe Switzerland, whose diets tended to be high saturated fat but also tending to have long life expectancies. This study was produced by, guess who? The margarine corporations. In the same decade as butter took a nose dive and margarine shot up in fame the rate of heart disease in the UK sky-rocketed. Trans-fats anyone?

Since then there have been a few more studies. They haven't been able to find this supposed link between saturated fat and heart health.
morleys chicken shops catch pigeons, for what reasons i do not know
Reply 312
Original post by wonderingwot2do
The body isn't designed to differentiate between natural and artificial sugars therefore it is possible that diet coke drinkers' bodies can believe they're having sweet sugary drinks and store some sugars that it does receive as fat. Saw it on a documentary a while back (don't ask which, i watch too many).

The chemicals aren't good for you either; there again, neither is normal coke good for you! lol

The sweeteners have almost the same effect on the body as sugar- however... The sweeteners are produced to be far more sweet than naturally occurring sugar so they use less sweetener than they otherwise would sugar!

The sweeteners have been linked with cancer- but come on, what hasn't...
Original post by vikki1805
lulz? I hope you're not studying english? :wink:

Absolute lose at comeback.
Reply 314
Regarding cholesterol,

A few weeks ago I was having fainting spells and feeling light headed, so I had all the checks done blah blah.

Background: I eat loads of salt, loads of oven chips, loads of diet drinks, loads of margerine and white bread.

I had eaten all this in the days leading up to the blood tests.

They all came back extremely low, the nurse even commented on how low they were. Low cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar was normal, 'oddly normal' was the phrase she used :biggrin:. She also said I was fine on the iron and other stuff too.

So, am I the exception to the rule?

I used to eat fried foods and butter, but I cut them out about 1 year before the tests, lost 6 stone, and evidently my cholesterol went down too...

I remain unconvinced about the diet drinks and natural/unnatural sugars thing - losing 6 stone while drinking 5 cans of diet drink a day doesnt sound feasible if it make you get fat...

Oh, and I will say that I have a major problem with diet drinks and am trying to cut down, my teeth are... well lets not go into that. But sugars wise... eh. As I say, unconvinced.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 315
Don't drink milk with fish.
That thing about chewing gum staying in you forever/7 years if you swallow it. Passes right through same as anything else.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 317
Original post by Fat-Love
That thing about chewing gum staying in you forever/7 years if you swallow it. Passes right through same as anything else.

On the other hand, even partially digested meat can stay in your colon for quite a substantial time period.

Quick Reply

Latest