Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juueru_chou)
    It's just like smoking, drinking and being rebelious, younger t(w)eenagers think that if they act tough and do things only older people are allowed to do, somehow it makes them somehow cool.
    Except drinking and smoking isn't really illegal, well, at least where I come from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wineblood)
    Except drinking and smoking isn't really illegal, well, at least where I come from.
    Drinking and smoking is illegal when you are under the ages that the government has decided they are legal to do.

ReputationRep:
    Drinking and smoking is illegal when you are under the ages that the government has decided they are legal to do.
    Ditto.

I mean ok, if you smoke underage you're probably going to end up addicted so not great, and drinking underage is probably a bad idea..but sex can result in a kids people!!!!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    well i think there is no point of sex before you are 16 because if you get pregnant when you are like 12 or something and you would have a baby then you would have to spend yer pocket money on nappies and stuff and when you are 16 you can get a job and work for stuff and if you have a baby at a young age people might call you a slapper or a ****. and one of ma best mates really wants to have a baby but she is only 13(well 14 on monday).
    and i think its silly having a baby at a young age but i meen my mum had me when she was 17 that might seem young but she is happy now that she has me as her only child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lil-huni-buni)
    well i think there is no point of sex before you are 16 because if you get pregnant when you are like 12 or something and you would have a baby then you would have to spend yer pocket money on nappies and stuff and when you are 16 you can get a job and work for stuff and if you have a baby at a young age people might call you a slapper or a ****. and one of ma best mates really wants to have a baby but she is only 13(well 14 on monday).
    and i think its silly having a baby at a young age but i meen my mum had me when she was 17 that might seem young but she is happy now that she has me as her only child.
    It really does depend on what environment you live in. Fair enough, when girls start puberty they are physically ready to bear children, but that is left over from an time where Humans dodn't live for all that long and so had to reproduce as early. In the same way as storing excess energy as fat was a survival trait, early puberty is to.

In this age we live for a lot longer, so there is not the problem of reproducing early enough to ensure the survival of the child long enough for it to be able to fend for itself. Although puberty still hits children around the same age, there is predators to kill children, or any tribe to reproduce quickly for, instead children are educated and allowed to mature emotionally before the option of sex is given to them legally. Whilst some people argue that when a person feels ready they should be able to have sex (although interestly, they can sometimes get picky as to who they have sex with), waiting until they are 16 means that none of their education is missed, increasing their chancing of being successful later in life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lil-huni-buni)
    PLEASE god, teach this girl some punctuation!!!! I feel so breathless and confused...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poica)
    PLEASE god, teach this girl some punctuation!!!! I feel so breathless and confused...
    yeahbutnobutyeahbutitslikesummin kyounownothingaboutsoSHUTUP!ohmy godISOOOCANTBELIEVEYOUJUSTSAIDTH AT!!!

...sorry

ReputationRep:
    So you should be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrentEnd)
    yeahbutnobutyeahbutitslikesummin kyounownothingaboutsoSHUTUP!ohmy godISOOOCANTBELIEVEYOUJUSTSAIDTH AT!!!

...sorry
    system shutdown

ReputationRep:
    I first had sex at 16, with my first really serious boyfriend. I felt ready, in fact he made me wait a few months 'cos he was worried about it (with me being a virgin and him not being one).
    But my sister was sleeping with people when she was 13, then she got into drugs for about 8 years, now she's pregnant.
    So I guess it depends what type of person you are, if you have any sense you use a bit of restraint and judgement, and wait until you're emotionally ready and the sex is special.

ReputationRep:
    I was way too into horses until I was about 14, then I developed confidence. I was with someone for 3 years but didn't sleep with them until I was nearly 17.

I don't see how you can be 'ready' for sex at 14, 15, even 16. I look at our 5th formers now and it makes me :eek: the way they 'think' that they're ready. It has such consequences if it goes wrong, when you're 14 I don't think you're read for that at all. No way, no where near!!

ReputationRep:
    So tell me. If a 12 year old girl going out with a 15 year old both thought they were ready to have sex, would that be ok?
    Personally at 12, I didn't even think about sex. And wouldn't of had sex at that age.

I was really talking about 14 year olds. Who knows if it's right for a 12 year old to have sex with a 15 year lad - by law it isn't, as we know...

Nowadays 12 year old are certainly v. mature. And maybe ahead of their years. But as I said...It's individual choice.

If it's consented by both of them, who's to say it's wrong. Apart from the law, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katia)
    Personally at 12, I didn't even think about sex. And wouldn't of had sex at that age.

I was really talking about 14 year olds. Who knows if it's right for a 12 year old to have sex with a 15 year lad - by law it isn't, as we know...

Nowadays 12 year old are certainly v. mature. And maybe ahead of their years. But as I said...It's individual choice.

If it's consented by both of them, who's to say it's wrong. Apart from the law, obviously.
    Herein lies the problem. How can we know that one party actually consented and even if they did, were they groomed and conditioned so that they would consent? Children are very suggestable, especially during early teens and so might be manipulated by an older (or even someone of the same age) and coersed, tricked or convinced that they do in fact want to have sex. Whilst the same may be said about older teenagers and adults too, children are a lot more vulnerable.

ReputationRep:
    Herein lies the problem. How can we know that one party actually consented and even if they did, were they groomed and conditioned so that they would consent? Children are very suggestable, especially during early teens and so might be manipulated by an older (or even someone of the same age) and coersed, tricked or convinced that they do in fact want to have sex. Whilst the same may be said about older teenagers and adults too, children are a lot more vulnerable.
    I guess this is why the age limit was made to be 16...12 is too young to be having sex, you're still a child. But that's in GENERAL, my brother's 14 and he acts about 3...but then I see other 14 year olds and some are even more mature than me. :eek:

I'm not sure of the actual statistics but a lot of people lose their virginity before they're 16 anyway, so it's proof that the legal age limit is a bit pointless and doesn't prevent the majority from sleeping with someone before been 16. Maybe it should maybe be lowered...

I don't know. It's a tough subject because EVERYONE matures at different rates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katia)
    I guess this is why the age limit was made to be 16...12 is too young to be having sex, you're still a child. But that's in GENERAL, my brother's 14 and he acts about 3...but then I see other 14 year olds and some are even more mature than me. :eek:

I'm not sure of the actual statistics but a lot of people lose their virginity before they're 16 anyway, so it's proof that the legal age limit is a bit pointless and doesn't prevent the majority from sleeping with someone before been 16. Maybe it should maybe be lowered...

I don't know. It's a tough subject because EVERYONE matures at different rates.
    Why should it be lowered? That then makes it legal for the kids to be having sex, and maybe even younger kids will want to do it.

ReputationRep:
    i wasn;t even interested in sex before i was 16-17 and that was becuase i wasn't going to be a follower or the so called leader of the pact, i wanted to be me and live my life how i want to live it in college they were like oh my god your still a virgin i lost ot ages ago, and i was like yer i don;t care if you were in the jungle lossing it i am not ready,

but i still wasn't ready when my first time came i was ready with the second as i wasn;t sure about the person i first did it with i wanted it over and done with!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poica)
    Why should it be lowered? That then makes it legal for the kids to be having sex, and maybe even younger kids will want to do it.
    My point was that younger kids do want to do it and are doing it, so it's obviously not working. If you're having sex, to be honest the first thing you think of isn't wether what you're doing is legal. Usually (and hopefully) the one thing you're thinking of is that it feels right and you both feel you're ready.

Sex isn't that big a deal. And if kids are taught that it's not this huge thing that you have to do to be cool, maybe we'd stop hearing about 12 year olds having sex because of peer pressure and the like. Sex isn't a 'dirty' or 'smutty' thing, it's something that was intended by nature, so who has the right to say when we can and can't have sex?

I neither agree, nor disagree with people having CONSENTED sex under 16. It is an individual choice. I do think at 12, you are still a child though...and it would probably end in regret It could even go horribly wrong, i.e. Pregnancy, STI's.

I feel that at 14, (most) are old enough to make their own decison's and life choices.

I have a feeling though people in general think that when boys lose their virginity at 14, it's not considered a big deal, but for some reason if girls do then they're either labelled whores or the first assumption made is "Were they forced?". Why is this? Girls are considered more mature than boys and they develop, Physically, Intellectually, Emotionally and Socially faster/quicker than boys. :confused:

I was 14, very nearly 15, but 14 none the less. It was with a long term boyfriend, my first love, who was 15. I did it because at that time it felt right, nothing to do with anyone else, we were together for over a year after too, but looking back i think i was stupid and regret it, i wouldn't encourage people to have sex under 16, i wish i had waited, would have been with the same guy but i wish it was later. I feel ashamed to tell my new boyfriend that i was 14, especially as he is 17 and a virgin .

ReputationRep:
    ^^
    I was 14, he was 15...we're still together now, 2 years down the line. And we really are, like best friends. It's amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katia)

I feel that at 14, (most) are old enough to make their own decison's and life choices.

I have a feeling though people in general think that when boys lose their virginity at 14, it's not considered a big deal, but for some reason if girls do then they're either labelled whores or the first assumption made is "Were they forced?". Why is this? Girls are considered more mature than boys and they develop, Physically, Intellectually, Emotionally and Socially faster/quicker than boys. :confused:
    That's what they like to think. And I know you'll defend it to the death because that was your decision too, but as someone with more perspective on how mature 14 year olds really are, a lot of them are NOT ready for that decision and make it unwisely.

As for it being "ok for boys but not for girls" - if you don't like it, change it. It certainly wasn't much of the prevailing opinion near me.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.