The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Just dont do it!!!!
i was 15 when i first had sex with my 17 year old boyfriend. to be fair i was only about a month off being 16, but i saw no point in waiting till a certain day-i knew i loved him and he loved me and we were both ready, having discussed it before. and 3 and half years later we're still together, but i know that this isn't the way things work out for everyone.
Reply 162
amie
However, I do wish that those people in this thread who are saying things like '14 year olds having sex is sick' and 'no-one under 16 should have sex' and 'how do we know these children aren't being groomed?' would acknowledge that there are a few people out there ready for sex at 14. As Katia said, everyone matures at different rates and to make such a fixed statement for the entire population of 14 year olds seems foolish.

This person speaketh the truth. To be honest, in today's society its hard to have a serious relationship before 16 anyway (sure, you get the rare gems, but on the whole its difficult).
Reply 163
Pippi
Just dont do it!!!!

Any particular reason for that? :rolleyes:
Reply 164
Katia
My point was that younger kids do want to do it and are doing it, so it's obviously not working. If you're having sex, to be honest the first thing you think of isn't wether what you're doing is legal. Usually (and hopefully) the one thing you're thinking of is that it feels right and you both feel you're ready.

Sex isn't that big a deal. And if kids are taught that it's not this huge thing that you have to do to be cool, maybe we'd stop hearing about 12 year olds having sex because of peer pressure and the like. Sex isn't a 'dirty' or 'smutty' thing, it's something that was intended by nature, so who has the right to say when we can and can't have sex?

I neither agree, nor disagree with people having CONSENTED sex under 16. It is an individual choice. I do think at 12, you are still a child though...and it would probably end in regret :frown: It could even go horribly wrong, i.e. Pregnancy, STI's.

I feel that at 14, (most) are old enough to make their own decison's and life choices.

I have a feeling though people in general think that when boys lose their virginity at 14, it's not considered a big deal, but for some reason if girls do then they're either labelled whores or the first assumption made is "Were they forced?". Why is this? Girls are considered more mature than boys and they develop, Physically, Intellectually, Emotionally and Socially faster/quicker than boys. :confused:

The reason why sex at an age younger than 16 shouldn't happen is because kids of that age are too easily influenced into doing things they probably shouldn't, and because they are not ready for the responsibility of the fact that they may become pregnant. Having sex at such a young age will work for very few in the long run.
Katia
I guess this is why the age limit was made to be 16...12 is too young to be having sex, you're still a child. But that's in GENERAL, my brother's 14 and he acts about 3...but then I see other 14 year olds and some are even more mature than me. :eek:

I'm not sure of the actual statistics but a lot of people lose their virginity before they're 16 anyway, so it's proof that the legal age limit is a bit pointless and doesn't prevent the majority from sleeping with someone before been 16. Maybe it should maybe be lowered...

I don't know. It's a tough subject because EVERYONE matures at different rates.
A lot of peopel under the age of 16 are smoking, a lot of people under the age of 18 are drinking, but that doesn't mean that those should be lowered as well.
Reply 166
juueru_chou
A lot of people under the age of 16 are smoking, a lot of people under the age of 18 are drinking, but that doesn't mean that those should be lowered as well.

Although the difference with sex is it doesnt always harm your health (and even less if you take certain precautions). Unfortunately, the number of responsible people under 16 is generally lacking.
Reply 167
sr4470
Although the difference with sex is it doesnt always harm your health (and even less if you take certain precautions). Unfortunately, the number of responsible people under 16 is generally lacking.

But there are a few.

I realise I sound like a broken record, but I think it's an important point.
Reply 168
amie
But there are a few.

I realise I sound like a broken record, but I think it's an important point.

The "rare gems" as I called them.
sr4470
It might not harm children physically, but quite often it can cause emotional damage, which will effect them later in life. The age of consent is primary there to make sure that adults do not take advantage of children and then claim everything was consentual. Although everyone will argue that children will have sex anyway, generally it is with other children, also under the age of consent.

Remove or lower the age of consent, there will be those adults who will begin to take advantage of children and have more chance of getting away with it.
Reply 170
juueru_chou
It might not harm children physically, but quite often it can cause emotional damage, which will effect them later in life. The age of consent is primary there to make sure that adults do not take advantage of children and then claim everything was consentual. Although everyone will argue that children will have sex anyway, generally it is with other children, also under the age of consent.

Remove or lower the age of consent, there will be those adults who will begin to take advantage of children and have more chance of getting away with it.

Incidentally, this is the reason that the age of consent was set at 16 - there were too many adults using children as young as 12 (the old age of consent) for prostitution.
Reply 171
sr4470
The "rare gems" as I called them.

Indeed :smile:

That post before wasn't really aimed at you, but everyone who seems to think that all 14 year olds are incapable of mature thought. I should have made that clearer.
Reply 172
juueru_chou
It might not harm children physically, but quite often it can cause emotional damage, which will effect them later in life. The age of consent is primarily there to make sure that adults do not take advantage of children and then claim everything was consensual. Although everyone will argue that children will have sex anyway, generally it is with other children, also under the age of consent.

I wasnt talking about adults there (as you say it is mostly with other children), but that can be true, yes.

juueru_chou

By the same token, there will be girls who take advantage of the statutory rape law and get their "bf" imprisoned when the sex was consensual.
Reply 173
amie
Indeed :smile:

That post before wasn't really aimed at you, but everyone who seems to think that all 14 year olds are incapable of mature thought. I should have made that clearer.

Upbringing has some part in it. Parents dont discuss it enough with their children, sex is still a taboo subject in the home. When\if I become a parent myself, I will certainly discuss it with my children (and not just the usual "this is how a baby is made" story).
Poica
Incidentally, this is the reason that the age of consent was set at 16 - there were too many adults using children as young as 12 (the old age of consent) for prostitution.
I think that is what most children don't understand. They see these age restrictions on sex, alcohol and smoking not as something to protect them (alcohol can cause more damage to children as their body is still developing and since smoking is highly addictive the earlier they start, the more likely they are going to have some smoking related illness earlier in like), but as adults denying them things they think they should be allowed.
sr4470

Simalarly a glass of wine a day is apparently good for you. And alcohol doesnt have to be damaging if people do in moderation.
Again though <insert juuero chou's point here>
i regret doing it when i did, altho at the time it seemed right. Its not fair to attack the people who were underage, as not all of them did it to be cool, i certainly did not, i did it for myself and it felt right at the time, obviously now i look back and think i was saft to think i should be doing that then, but thats something you learn when you get older. It was with a boyfriend, i would never sleep around, although yes some people do do it because they think its cool if they sleep with boys/girls. I then met my current boyfriend n weve been together 3 n half year now, and I did wish then that id waited and it was with my now boyfriend, but you will never know that your gona meet someone better unitl it happens. lifes full of mistakes, people learn from them

Latest

Trending

Trending