Dscott
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I've applied and got a conditional offer for middlesex uni... just wondering what halls would be best? I'm looking for a lively hall where it's easy to make friends and talk to people...

I really liked Writtle House, because it looks so beautiful, but it says "generally quieter than other halls", does this mean it's less likely to be as fun? Plus it only has 36 student rooms...

Other than that I can't decide between the last 3?

Pllleeeaase help
Billabong!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey there

I have also accepted a conditional offer for MDX to study policing. I am looking to stay in the halls either Writtle House or Platt Hill.

In response to your question, Platt Hill and Writtle House are a second from each other with the only difference I can see as Writtle House NOT having en-suite rooms and only 36 rooms.

What course are you studying?
SophRuff
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm starting in September and if you are doing any courses in health and social care you can only stay in the Ivy halls in Cricklewood which is a shame!
Dscott
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm at Hendon so can choose from the others , I'm doing Magazine publishing, hoping to change this to fashion design, styling and promotion.
I really like Platt hall at the moment, opinions anyone??
xxx
bexxy1992
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I applied for mine today. I'm on the trent park campus and NEED ensuite (I own too much stuff to deal with carrying it each time i need the bathroom) so I'm in Gubbay Hall

Anyone else doing Primary Ed?
ununpentium
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Based at Hendon campus and applied for Platt Halls
Clip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Listen to me, you guys.

If you are not from London or don't know the area - take Usher and don't look back.

Usher:

Nice area.
As close to the campus as it is possible to be.
Close to Hendon Central / Hendon mainline
Close to Brent Cross for jobs.
Close to restaurants / cafes / banks / supermarkets
Closest supermarket is Sentinel Square Tesco
Walk to the tube is very safe, even at night.

Platt / Writtle:
Writtle used to be the Sergeant's Mess of the old RAF Hendon, and is a beautiful building

BUT

The area is very very poor in every respect.
The area is essetially the Grahame Park Estate, which houses lots and lots of extremely unsavoury types. Don't be fooled by the proximity of Hendon Police College and Barnet Police HQ, that's just about the only thing holding back a tide of criminality.
The walk to the shops and underground is not safe at night.
The nearest large supermarket is Asda in Colindale, and is a long way. The nearest small supermarket is Tesco Express in the St George development, and is like the Wild West in the evenings.
The halls are not that far from the Hendon campus - but there is a pretty steep f-ing hill, and I don't see people being bothered to get up it to go to on-campus things.

I have lived in Barnet all my life, and I went to school in Hendon. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about.

Type in "Grahame Park Estate Murder" into Google and see how many hits you get.
mattj9533
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SophRuff)
I'm starting in September and if you are doing any courses in health and social care you can only stay in the Ivy halls in Cricklewood which is a shame!
Not true, where did you get that from?
mattj9533
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Clip)
Listen to me, you guys.

If you are not from London or don't know the area - take Usher and don't look back.

Usher:

Nice area.
As close to the campus as it is possible to be.
Close to Hendon Central / Hendon mainline
Close to Brent Cross for jobs.
Close to restaurants / cafes / banks / supermarkets
Closest supermarket is Sentinel Square Tesco
Walk to the tube is very safe, even at night.

Platt / Writtle:
Writtle used to be the Sergeant's Mess of the old RAF Hendon, and is a beautiful building

BUT

The area is very very poor in every respect.
The area is essetially the Grahame Park Estate, which houses lots and lots of extremely unsavoury types. Don't be fooled by the proximity of Hendon Police College and Barnet Police HQ, that's just about the only thing holding back a tide of criminality.
The walk to the shops and underground is not safe at night.
The nearest large supermarket is Asda in Colindale, and is a long way. The nearest small supermarket is Tesco Express in the St George development, and is like the Wild West in the evenings.
The halls are not that far from the Hendon campus - but there is a pretty steep f-ing hill, and I don't see people being bothered to get up it to go to on-campus things.

I have lived in Barnet all my life, and I went to school in Hendon. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about.

Type in "Grahame Park Estate Murder" into Google and see how many hits you get.
NOOOOO!

Live at Ivy!!!!!! hendon/colindale is soo boring there is nothing around. Ivy is in Cricklewood which has everything, 10 min walk to a good, student night club, local 24hr shops, easy access to central and all the places to eat on the planet (for a student LOL).
SophRuff
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by mattj9533)
Not true, where did you get that from?
When I applied for my halls I could only apply for the ones in Cricklewood.
archipeligo37
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey i’ve got a place at Middlesex to do computer science haven’t decided yet whether to rent or get halls.
varun90
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
sorry to write this guys but aftr reading all comments, I got confused between Platt/IVY/Usher..
Which place is the best for a party animal guy and a guy who can easily walk away at nights without any fear and crowded nearby.

Thanks in advance
CeeCee11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
hello guys, I am yet to join MDX uni in sept.. I really like the UNI but never got the time to check out the accomodation and i feel the website dont hve enough virtual tour. I will be studying psychology, can someone advice something please.
Parshurti
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dscott)
I've applied and got a conditional offer for middlesex uni... just wondering what halls would be best? I'm looking for a lively hall where it's easy to make friends and talk to people...

I really liked Writtle House, because it looks so beautiful, but it says "generally quieter than other halls", does this mean it's less likely to be as fun? Plus it only has 36 student rooms...

Other than that I can't decide between the last 3?

Pllleeeaase help
Go for Usher!

Posted from TSR Mobile
lady_tiffers
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CeeCee11)
hello guys, I am yet to join MDX uni in sept.. I really like the UNI but never got the time to check out the accomodation and i feel the website dont hve enough virtual tour. I will be studying psychology, can someone advice something please.

Hi, I've firmed middlesex and I'm having the same problem. Can't decide on which halls.
I like the look of platt, it's cheaper then usher but not so close to the uni which is a pain. I'm going to an applicant day in April, I'm going to have a look then.
SandroR
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
guys, how does it work with the accomodation?we give the deposit and if we dont get the room they give us back the money?
christinasky
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Im so lost with all this housing stuff... I might just stay at home :s
Parshurti
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SandroR)
guys, how does it work with the accomodation?we give the deposit and if we dont get the room they give us back the money?
Haha,you don't need to worry!
If there is any room available then and itself only they ask you to pay
There won't be issues like the ones you think

Posted from TSR Mobile
estee.st3008
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi guys, I'm starting this September. I applied for usher hall but they offer me ivy (standard room). And they suggest me to completes a hall move request once I've arrived. Had anyone faced this problem and manage to change halls before?
odzilla
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
hello...

I will join Ivy Hall this sept. I would like to know more about this hall. The information and pictures on the web are not satisfying. Is it a nice place? When i read all comments above it seems nice. does anyone have picture inside of ivy hall?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (131)
24.3%
Pop (125)
23.19%
Jazz (24)
4.45%
Classical (29)
5.38%
Hip-Hop (99)
18.37%